Airport To Bangkok

willyumcr

Not quite sure what you are asking, do you want to go to the airport or to Asoke?

If you are going by bus to Bangkok you will arrive at Ekamai Bus Station, if you want to go to Asoke the Ekamai BTS station is almost next to the bus station, Asoke is three stops on the BTS.

If you want to go to the airport, there is a bus from Ekamai, but also I would have thought there is also a bus from Jomtien or Pattaya. If you want to use the new Airport Link, you need the BTS to Asoke, then the MRT to Phetchaburi before the fair old hike to the Airport Link.

Not quite sure what you are asking, do you want to go to the airport or to Asoke?

If you are going by bus to Bangkok you will arrive at Ekamai Bus Station, if you want to go to Asoke the Ekamai BTS station is almost next to the bus station, Asoke is three stops on the BTS.

If you want to go to the airport, there is a bus from Ekamai, but also I would have thought there is also a bus from Jomtien or Pattaya. If you want to use the new Airport Link, you need the BTS to Asoke, then the MRT to Phetchaburi before the fair old hike to the Airport Link.

Sorry I wasn't to clear. I am taking bus from Jomtien to Airport (BKK). Then I wish to use Airport link to get to Asoke (E4). Do I need to transfer at Phetchaburi and take MRT to Asoke station? Thanks

[sorry I wasn't to clear. I am taking bus from Jomtien to Airport (BKK). Then I wish to use Airport link to get to Asoke (E4). Do I need to transfer at Phetchaburi and take MRT to Asoke station? Thanks

Yes that's what you do, I did it yesterday.

I took the City Line to Makkasan which cost 15 Baht and took me a tad under 20 minutes, the Express is 100 Baht return and I think takes 15 mins.

At Makkasan leave the Airport Link exit the station, against the direction of travel, turn right on the main road and the Phetchaburi MRT is on the right, just after you cross the railway line, Asoke is one stop.

[sorry I wasn't to clear. I am taking bus from Jomtien to Airport (BKK). Then I wish to use Airport link to get to Asoke (E4). Do I need to transfer at Phetchaburi and take MRT to Asoke station? Thanks

Yes that's what you do, I did it yesterday.

I took the City Line to Makkasan which cost 15 Baht and took me a tad under 20 minutes, the Express is 100 Baht return and I think takes 15 mins.

At Makkasan leave the Airport Link exit the station, against the direction of travel, turn right on the main road and the Phetchaburi MRT is on the right, just after you cross the railway line, Asoke is one stop.

Thanks very helpful. I live next door to bus station in Jomtien so thats why I am trying to use and also want to see how new airport link works. 124 baht bus, 15 baht airport link, 15 baht (?) BTS. So maybe a little more than 2 hours all together Jomtien to Asoke.

I would say 5/10 minutes, it's the MRT (underground) not the BTS.

The MRT connects with the BTS one stop down the line, where you exit Sukhumvit MRT and and can go up to Asoke BTS station.

Just a thought, if you want to actually get to a BTS Station, or it's pouring with rain, you could stay on the Airport Link to Phaya Thai, two stops and still 15 Baht, where there is a direct connection to the BTS on the same line as Asoke, five stops away.

Edited by theoldgit

The MRT connects with the BTS one stop down the line, where you exit Sukhumvit MRT and and can go up to Asoke BTS station.

Just a thought, if you want to actually get to a BTS Station, or it's pouring with rain, you could stay on the Airport Link to Phaya Thai, two stops and still 15 Baht, where there is a direct connection to the BTS on the same line as Asoke, five stops away.

excellent idea. That's the way to go. Thanks again. I like easy.

excellent idea. That's the way to go. Thanks again. I like easy.

Just don't do what I did and try getting on the BTS at Phaya Thai at 8am with luggage.

for testing purposes (for my future regular trips out of the country), I tried the Air Rail Link (both Express Line and City Line) over last weekend....(Note: no comment is made on hauling heavy luggage as I just had a medium backpack)..

( a ) overall very easy to use (except the connection between Makkasan Main station and the MRT Petburi subway station (Exit 3))

( b ) this is to confirm that City Line terminal station at Phayathai is very conveniently directly connected to the BTS Phayathai skytrain station by a very wide (but short lengthwise) walkway bridge....so it is easy to transfer to and from the Air Rail Link line to the BTS skytrain line...

( c ) if getting on the City Line at Phayathai station (after transferring from the BTS Phayathai skytrain station) and the goal is to go to the Airport, just stay on City Line train all the way to the Airport (although the City Line takes 30 minutes instead of 15 minutes on the Express (non-stop) Line between Makkasan station and the Airport) (however if you really want to try the Express Line, then get off the City Line at Makkasan station and board the Express Line to the Airport--this entails some walking and an elevator ride)

( d ) however if you are just directly arriving at Makkasan station (by taxi or otherwise), take the Express Line directly to the Airport ....that train is more comfy than the City Line, only takes 15 minutes to the Airport, is smooth and fast and feels very similar to the HK airport train link by the way, but many of the seats face each other (instead of all forward facing like in HK)

( e ) the City Line currently has eight stops (and was heavily used by locals and foreigners during my test runs):

Airport==LatKrabang==BanThapChang==Hua Mak==Ramkhamhaeng==Makkasan==Ratchaprarop==Phaya Thai

( f ) the Express Line only has two stops (and was lightly (but not too lightly) used by curious testing locals and also on that day Japanese tourists at least in my segments of the train)

Airport==Makkasan

( g ) the City Line currently costs B15 (no matter how far you ride it) (but I understand that the rate will go up to B15 to B45 on Jan 1, 2011 depending on the distance you travel)

( h ) the Express Line currently costs B100 (but I understand that the rate will go up to B150 on Jan 1, 2011) (Note: if you are riding the Express Line just to try it out for a day, it only currently costs B100 roundtrip/return)

( i ) from my test runs, the lines appear very convenient and easy to use (save for the lack of a walkway link between Makkasan station and the MRT Petburi subway station)

(Note: the SRT has reportedly set aside a B70 million budget to build an elevated 200 meter length walkway link between Makkasan and MRT Petburi, but when that is finished is anyone's guess) (Note: also, the poor lady guard at the MRT Petburi station (Exit 3) is sometimes overwhelmed on checking luggage of people entering the subway)

( j ) next year's plan is to be able to check in your luggage at Makkasan station (before boarding the Express Line to the Airport)

( k ) I imagine the plan is to eventually have organized taxi queues/lines at Makkasan station (like they have at the Airport)

( l ) the Air Rail Link terminal station at the Airport (for both the City Line and the Express Line) is very conveniently located right below the Airport Terminal (Basement 1) (Level 1 Ground Floor is the public taxis /airporter buses into town (plus large Magic Point Food Court) level) (Level 2 is the Arrivals level) (Level 4 is the Departures level)

( m ) at the Air Rail Link terminal station at the Airport (Basement 1) there are flat escalators and elevators/lifts to the higher levels of the Airport terminal

( n ) at the Air Rail Link terminal station at the Airport (Basement 1) for convenience, there is a large 7-11 store, a Subway sandwich store, a Baskin Robbins ice cream cafe, a Dunkin Donuts outlet, a Chinese food cafe, a pastries/fruit cafe and a small "Kin" Japanese sushi bar, plus a small bookstore

( o ) my hope is that Bangkok will eventually have a unified cash storage card (like HK's Octopus card) that can be used on the BTS skytrain, MRT subway, BRT Express Bus, SARL Air Rail Link and 7-11s, Starbucks, movies, cafes, etc. etc.

(Note: in July, Bangkok signed a contract with VIX ERG of Australia (who is also behind HK's Octopus card) to start developing such card for Bangkok (with the first component being unifying the MRT and BTS cards)...

Edited by trajan
  • Like 1

for testing purposes (for my future regular trips out of the country), I tried the Air Rail Link (both Express Line and City Line) over last weekend....(Note: no comment is made on hauling heavy luggage as I just had a medium backpack)..

( a ) overall very easy to use (except the connection between Makkasan Main station and the MRT Petburi subway station (Exit 3))

( b ) this is to confirm that City Line terminal station at Phayathai is very conveniently directly connected to the BTS Phayathai skytrain station by a very wide (but short lengthwise) walkway bridge....so it is easy to transfer to and from the Air Rail Link line to the BTS skytrain line...

( c ) if getting on the City Line at Phayathai station (after transferring from the BTS Phayathai skytrain station) and the goal is to go to the Airport, just stay on City Line train all the way to the Airport (although the City Line takes 30 minutes instead of 15 minutes on the Express (non-stop) Line between Makkasan station and the Airport) (however if you really want to try the Express Line, then get off the City Line at Makkasan station and board the Express Line to the Airport--this entails some walking and an elevator ride)

Very very informed post. Thanks

( d ) however if you are just directly arriving at Makkasan station (by taxi or otherwise), take the Express Line directly to the Airport ....that train is more comfy than the City Line, only takes 15 minutes to the Airport, is smooth and fast and feels very similar to the HK airport train link by the way, but many of the seats face each other (instead of all forward facing like in HK)

( e ) the City Line currently has eight stops (and was heavily used by locals and foreigners during my test runs):

Airport==LatKrabang==BanThapChang==Hua Mak==Ramkhamhaeng==Makkasan==Ratchaprarop==Phaya Thai

( f ) the Express Line only has two stops (and was lightly (but not too lightly) used by curious testing locals and also on that day Japanese tourists at least in my segments of the train)

Airport==Makkasan

( g ) the City Line currently costs B15 (no matter how far you ride it) (but I understand that the rate will go up to B15 to B45 on Jan 1, 2011 depending on the distance you travel)

( h ) the Express Line currently costs B100 (but I understand that the rate will go up to B150 on Jan 1, 2011) (Note: if you are riding the Express Line just to try it out for a day, it only currently costs B100 roundtrip/return)

( i ) from my test runs, the lines appear very convenient and easy to use (save for the lack of a walkway link between Makkasan station and the MRT Petburi subway station)

(Note: the SRT has reportedly set aside a B70 million budget to build an elevated 200 meter length walkway link between Makkasan and MRT Petburi, but when that is finished is anyone's guess) (Note: also, the poor lady guard at the MRT Petburi station (Exit 3) is sometimes overwhelmed on checking luggage of people entering the subway)

( j ) next year's plan is to be able to check in your luggage at Makkasan station (before boarding the Express Line to the Airport)

( k ) I imagine the plan is to eventually have organized taxi queues/lines at Makkasan station (like they have at the Airport)

( l ) the Air Rail Link terminal station at the Airport (for both the City Line and the Express Line) is very conveniently located right below the Airport Terminal (Basement 1) (Level 1 Ground Floor is the public taxis /airporter buses into town (plus large Magic Point Food Court) level) (Level 2 is the Arrivals level) (Level 4 is the Departures level)

( m ) at the Air Rail Link terminal station at the Airport (Basement 1) there are flat escalators and elevators/lifts to the higher levels of the Airport terminal

( n ) at the Air Rail Link terminal station at the Airport (Basement 1) for convenience, there is a large 7-11 store, a Subway sandwich store, a Baskin Robbins ice cream cafe, a Dunkin Donuts outlet, a Chinese food cafe, a pastries/fruit cafe and a small "Kin" Japanese sushi bar, plus a small bookstore

( o ) my hope is that Bangkok will eventually have a unified cash storage card (like HK's Octopus card) that can be used on the BTS skytrain, MRT subway, BRT Express Bus, SARL Air Rail Link and 7-11s, Starbucks, movies, cafes, etc. etc.

(Note: in July, Bangkok signed a contract with VIX ERG of Australia (who is also behind HK's Octopus card) to start developing such card for Bangkok (with the first component being unifying the MRT and BTS cards)...

• Like 1

Airport==Makkasan

That's certainly a very LONG and detailed post. But, I must say, very accurate in its details..

The short answer is, right now, the Phaya Thai BTS station connection to the Airport Rail Link line is much more convenient and easier than the current (lack of a) connection at Makkasan-Petchburi MRT...

If someone is traveling with multiple pieces of luggage or heavy stuff, you don't want to make the down the street trek between Makkasan and Petchburi MRT. Although, if you're arriving in BKK and your destination is nearby, getting off at Makkasan and taking a taxi direct from there is another option.

In general, however, my biggest gripe with the entire ARL as it presently stands is it's NOT airport luggage friendly. The stations typically have escalators up but stairs going down. And while there are elevators, in my experience, they don't cover the full range of levels, from street up to platform.

When I travel internationally, typically I'm bringing 3 suitcases weighing 50 to 70 lbs a piece. Try maneuvering those down the stairs at the stations.

I haven't taken the Express Line yet. But I have taken the City Line to the airport several times from Phaya Thai BTS... And each time, the train has been very packed with people from the outset, and there would have been little place for me to have stored that amount of luggage.

And at least on the City LIne, there are no bins or racks for luggage, just some open areas with no designated seating. On my trips, those were packed with standing riders. On all those trips, I don't think I saw any passenger with more than a single suitcase and maybe a backpack as a second item.

If someone is traveling with multiple pieces of luggage or heavy stuff, you don't want to make the down the street trek between Makkasan and Petchburi MRT.

The airport link wasn't designed for passengers who have to move a whole family's worth of luggage around. I don't know why people always mention this. Even the Hong Kong express train is meant for light travelers.

It was designed to take individuals to the airport, and a good portion of that traffic is going to be international (not domestic), meaning international volume luggage carrying...

The standard international luggage allotment PER PERSON is two suitcases of up to 50 lbs apiece. Many people via frequent flyer or similar status have a third bag of similar weight/size...

I wasn't aware that the SRT had somehow decided in the design process that the ARL wasn't meant for the typical passenger making an international flight connection. You wanna point folks to some reference for where that decision was made or by whom?

And PS - I haven't taken the HK rail line... But I did take the Singapore rail line to the airport last time I was there, and it was nowhere as inconvenient for luggage as BKK's ARL is.

The airport link wasn't designed for passengers who have to move a whole family's worth of luggage around. I don't know why people always mention this. Even the Hong Kong express train is meant for light travelers.

Edited by jfchandler

If someone is traveling with multiple pieces of luggage or heavy stuff, you don't want to make the down the street trek between Makkasan and Petchburi MRT.

With respect, this is patently incorrect. The line is designed for people with large luggage.

The reason why Makkasan Terminal (CAT) is so large it that it will have check in facilities , (belatedly due to the delay in purchasing those infamous baggage scanners)

, and to cater for a large volume of pax AND baggage.

(As well as future growth once the line is extended).

This is also why the Express Line trains are longer (4 cars with seating for 175), designed for luggage on board and also with the 4th carriage for checked-in luggage . The Express Line platforms are also easier for those with luggage than the City Line platforms.

The current problem during the promo period, and it will be ongoing issue in the long term given price and station destination, is that most airport pax are taking the Cityline train which does not have the space. Also, there is the design problem for other stations that exiting with luggage is not an easy process with the lack of escalators and limited lift space.

The SRT have a limited number of rolling stock for the Airport Line. Just wait until the line becomes more crowded in the years to come as the BTS is now! The SRT has only 5 3-car Cityline sets and only 4 4-car Expressline sets in operation. However, future planning anticipates growth and expansion to 7 car sets in about 2020 and eventual use of 10 car sets - in about 20 years. However, if ridership is high the SRT will just have to purchase more rolling stock and/or increase the frequency.

But I would say anyone with multiple pieces of large luggage would have a hard time anywhere in the world using a metro system for their journey. Just take a taxi.

Also, HK is designed for people with large luggage and I have used it mutplie times with large luggae and no probs.

Edited by Lakegeneve

Excellent, informative report and info trajan. I just wanted to add some comment and info to a few issues you raise.

Correct, money has been allocated and a contractor appointed a few months ago. The pedestrian link between the CAT and MRT Phetburi is scheduled to be complete by the end of the year but as we know usually deadlines slide a long way. Going past Fri night it seems some preliminary work seems to have started. Until then it is a bit of a hassle but access to/from the MRT is a little better than I thought it would be.

Many forget, that the link between MRT Sukhumvit and BTS Asoke did not open until a year after the MRT opened. Also, the link at Silom opened nearly 2 years after the MRT opened.

Check in facilities have always been part of the planning, which is why Makkasan is so large. Primarily, the delay is that the SRT delayed the purchase of those infamous CTX scanners. The SRT also did not engage with the AOT and TG regarding SOPs and protocols for check until very late (mid last year when they appointed an operator to get operational) . Now the Link was originally due to open way back in Dec 07 (really Dec 08 due to delays in handing over land to the contractor) so why the SRT did not get organise before last year is an obvious query.

Anyone who knows how the SRT Board works and how much of a mess the SRT is in would not be surprised by this.

Intergrated ticketing has been a must for years. However, the BTSC and BMCL (MRT operator) have been promising and intergrated ticketing system every year for the last 3 yrs (announcements to that effect started in 2006). The companies both stated in the 3rd quarter of last year that intergrated ticketing for BTS and MRT would be implemented by mid 2010. If they do decide to use the BSS (Bkk Smartcard Syatem) card and VIX ERG platform I will surprised.

We will have the crazy situation early next year of 4 different mass transit ticketing systems (BTS, ARL, MRT & BRT - though BRT may well intergrate with BTS given BTSC are contracted to manage the line) plus buses plus ferries. In the next few years the BMTA plans to introduce electronic tiacketing on buses butcurrently there is no plan for intergration.

Part of the problem is that there are too many state agencies involved in public transport in BKK with little or no co-ordination and a certain level of rivalry. They even have competing plans in some cases, eg. OTP and BMA in relation to new BRT lines.

A single operator for all transport with an intergrated ticketing platform is the only way to go in BKK.

Edited by Lakegeneve

Bingo!!! As stated below, that exactly the case.

And indeed, the fare structure isn't helping, currently at 15 baht for the City Line one-way, 30 baht roundtrip, vs. 100 baht roundtrip for the Express Line.

That, and, from my perspective STUPIDLY, SRT somehow came to the conclusion that they didn't need to or couldn't extend the Express Line to Phaya Thai BTS, which is the only place on the route at present with a direct BTS/MRT connection.

Every time I go to the ARL station there, it's PACKED, with both farang and Thais... And a lot of the farang do indeed continue onto the airport, as well as some Thais... Whereas probably half or more of the Thais who get onboard the City Line at Phaya Thai are exiting at one of the local stations prior to the airport.

The current problem during the promo period, and it will be ongoing issue in the long term given price and station destination, is that most airport pax are taking the Cityline train which does not have the space. Also, there is the design problem for other stations that exiting with luggage is not an easy process with the lack of escalators and limited lift space.

I don't know if a SINGLE operators for ALL the different manner of mass transit systems is ideal... But an integrated ticketing platform across them certainly would be.

Unfortunately, this is Thailand, so the chances of ever ending up with a single provider seem just about nil, and the fact that the ARL came along so long after the BTS and MRT, yet apparently is still having an entirely separate ticketing system, certainly isn't promising....

A single operator for all transport with an intergrated ticketing platform is the only way to go in BKK.

Unfortunately, this is Thailand, so the chances of ever ending up with a single provider seem just about nil, and the fact that the ARL came along so long after the BTS and MRT, yet apparently is still having an entirely separate ticketing system, certainly isn't promising....

It all comes down to different agencies doing their own thing. Yet within the dysfunctional SRT there is also a lack of even basic co-ord & planning. If you really want to hear something crazy think about this;.

1) The SRT now has the ARL which is electric, standard guage, (to be extended to the new Bang Sue Terminal & DMK)

2) The SRT Red Line from Bang Sue to Taling Chan is currently being constructed (fin early 2012) as diesal, narrow guage, (to be extended to Salaya)

3) The SRT Red Line from Bang Sue to Rangsit is currently being planned as electric, narrow guage. (to be extended to Thammasat Uni)

So the SRT will have 3 different suburban lines with 3 different configurations! Yet we are told that all these lines will be the basis for a future larger greater BKK network eventually to Chachoengsao, Ayuthaya, Nakhon Pathom and Mahachai.

Doesn't sound like a good basis for a network, does it?. It is still hoped that somewhere sanity will prevail and that both Red Lines will be changed to electric, standard guage. However, don't hold your breath.

I'm not a railroads engineer... But I'd assume the issues above have to do with the ability of the same kinds of rail cars to be used on the different lines, or even, for a particular kind of rail car to continue from one segment to the next segment of the line.

If the line's rail system changes from one system to another system at a certain point on the route, or once an extension is built, it probably would require passengers to change trains to continue onward. That, and, it would prevent the sharing of rail cars/equipment among the different lines, making their use less efficient.