Export To Anywhere

Hey guys i need a bit of help please!

After reading farangs riping off farangs and other such items on the forum i thought i would ask your help.

There must be 300 people apply for every decent job in thailand which does not bode well for the ones of us who do actually need to get out there to work.

No sob story but my girlfriend has had to move back to bangkok to look after her family business's as her mother has been diagnosed with a serious illness......

I would like to get a reasonable job over there to support her as she is 6000 miles away and the phone does not quite do the trick. I have run into the ever present problem of more job seekers than jobs.

I am 28 English speak french a bit of spanish have worked in exporting, importing and sale for 8 years with management experience and have a vast knowledge of comuters and telecoms.

Please can somebody help me?

I am willing to consider anything apart from teaching english, I come from yorkshire as if any body wants to speak like me!!!!!!

Cheers

Ade

Ade, If you are well experienced and skilled you can try your luck with interviews and such but...

Realistically speaking, you will probably not be able to even get close to what you are probably making in the UK within months or years.

I'd just recommend keep your UK job and come to long holidays.

Hey guys i need a bit of help please!

After reading farangs riping off farangs and other such items on the forum i thought i would ask your help.

There must be 300 people apply for every decent job in thailand which does not bode well for the ones of us who do actually need to get out there to work.

No sob story but my girlfriend has had to move back to bangkok to look after her family business's as her mother has been diagnosed with a serious illness......

I would like to get a reasonable job over there to support her as she is 6000 miles away and the phone does not quite do the trick. I have run into the ever present problem of more job seekers than  jobs.

I am 28 English speak french a bit of spanish have worked in exporting, importing and sale for 8 years with management experience and have a vast knowledge of comuters and telecoms.

Please can somebody help me?

I am willing to consider anything apart from teaching english, I come from yorkshire as if any body wants to speak like me!!!!!!

Cheers

Ade

Sounds to me like we have a guy who is really keen on coming here to make an honest living, which is very rare indeed for farangs in Thailand !!

My advice to you is get yourself over to Thailand and look, unfortunately the people who are here right in the faces of the employers will always have the upper hand over you.

There are always import/export companies in Bangkok looking for staff, only problem is you will be competing with the Thais in relation to salary etc.

Unfortunately the ratio of job seekers per job on offer is not in your favour. The only thing a farang can do here apart from teaching is timeshare, othe downside of this is the negatives that come with it, if you can get over this then it could be an avenue to go down. I know people who have made a lot of money in this field but you have to be good.

Although it does come with negatives the advantage of this means the demand is far greater than the supply, probably the only farang job (apart from teaching) that has this status !

Happy hunting !! :o

you might consider working as an english teacher here until you find the other work.

www.ajarn.com

there was an article last month that mentioned that thailand is looking to add another 10,000 english teachers.

On an english teacher's job he might be able to cover his own expenses, but not to provide real support to his gf and her mother.

Salaries for an import/export staff will even be lower than that. The only way they might hire him, and pay something worthwhile, is if he has relevant, valuable contacts to their business which might boost their sales.

these are better then any diploma! :o

It is possible for farangs to work in export in Bangkok, if they have significant export experience; I imagine a language is a big plus. You're not competing with Thais in some situations, where the buyer expects or insists on dealing with a farang. You may find the position borders on a sales role, sans commission. Salary in the region of 50k baht/month, which is a bit more than the average English teacher but not much in the long term. I have absolutely no idea where you would start to look for such a position, sorry.

With your experience, you might consider setting up your own business. Or has your gf's family business got something exportable?...

Cheers for the advice guy's.

I plan to come over next month for a couple of weeks , i was hoping to get some interviews set up meet people and just to be pointed in the right direction.

My girlfriends family have a hotel and bar, not much call for me though.

She is looking for an opportunity for me but with her being accross in england for the last few years she has not got that many contacts anymore.

I am willing to do sales or anything really I have a lot of experience in sales.

I appriciate the saleries are not comparable to the uk but the cost of living is relative to the salary.

Keep the advice coming guys, ill find something.

I appriciate the saleries are not comparable to the uk but the cost of living is relative to the salary.

Not really. That's because your needs as a foreigner will generally by higher than those of the average Thai. Adjusting yourself to the way the average Thai lives does not come automatically. In addition, you will have VISA/Work permit fees and more travel expenses. You'll probably have more int'l calls, not to mention Flights.

My Advice, and I did Manufacturing and exporting for about a year, spend at lest a month working contacts in the UK. Then you can go and select manufacturers yourself and set up your own export shop.

You can outsource everything, there are a few tricks, but you can make good $$$ yourself in the rag-export game.

You MUST have some contacts in the target markets to send samples to.

On an english teacher's job he might be able to cover his own expenses, but not to provide real support to his gf and her mother.

I'd say it's possible, especially if your housing expense is all paid for (depends or not whether the family in question is in the portion of the population that has 100% equity in their home(s) or not).

:o

I'd say it's possible, especially if your housing expense is all paid for (depends or not whether the family in question is in the portion of the population that has 100% equity in their home(s) or not).

Did you take into consideration his habits as a farang? Being used to a certain lifestyle, drastically altering it doesn't come easy.

Mattnich - Good advice.

I am willing to do sales or anything really I have a lot of experience in sales.

If you can sell you'll get a job.

If thats your skill set, then recommend you don't follow up on the teaching/manufacturing ideas, but go for that one.

Did you take into consideration his habits as a farang? Being used to a certain lifestyle, drastically altering it doesn't come easy.

That's why I said it's possible, not probable or easy.

:D

• 1 month later...
Start selling yourself to companies if you have sales experience  :D

I have sales experience too, but the sales field is very large and change a lot in every country.

With my actual job in Italy I have one office with 3 colleagues, a desk with everything (computer, phone, fax, printer....), i call old and new customers (retailers) and i sell them home entertainment stuff for their shops. I take the orders, i do deliveries, everything from the office (without meeting the customers). I work from 9 to 19, five days/week. Good income and benefits.

Do you have different sales experiences in Thailand (in other asian countries too)?

Can you tell me what you usually have to do during your working day.

Western approach to sales is different from asian approach? Thai laws or firm contracts guarantee your job or not (minimum guaranteed, expenses refund. insurance for medical cares...)?

I want to evaluate the differences first to think to leave my actual job.

Thanks to all answers. :o