Thai Pm Gets New Powers For South

bartender100

Thai PM gets new powers for south

Thai border police officers examine the scene where a bomb exploded in Yala province, southern Thailand Friday, July 15, 2005

Another bomb exploded in Yala on Friday, injuring four

Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has been granted sweeping new powers to deal with attacks by suspected Muslim militants in the country's south.

The new measures allow him to order the detention of suspects for seven days, censor newspapers and tap phones.

The Thai Cabinet agreed to issue the powerful decree after a series of co-ordinated attacks in the southern city of Yala on Thursday night.

More than 800 people have died in the southern unrest since January 2004.

The emergency powers, which Mr Thaksin was granted without judicial approval, replace the existing martial law.

As the cabinet meeting ended, another bomb went off behind a hospital where many of the injured from the previous night's attacks were being treated.

VIOLENCE-HIT SOUTH

Map showing Thailand's southern region and the city of Yala

Home to most of Thailand's 4% Muslim minority

Muslim rebels fought the government up to the mid-80s

Suspected militants have upped attacks since 2004, targeting Buddhists

Security forces' response criticised by rights groups

Thailand's restive south

Four people were hurt, raising the number of injuries in attacks on Yala city - in the province of the same name - to 26, with two fatalities.

Thursday's raids involved up to 60 suspected militants - who attacked Yala hotels, restaurants, a cinema and shops with bombs, guns and Molotov cocktails, after plunging the city into darkness by bombing a power station.

The attacks were highly co-ordinated, officials say, with the gunmen peppering the roads with spikes to prevent the security forces moving around the city.

'National crisis'

Mr Thaksin strongly condemned the attacks.

"These people want only violence. It means they do not want to talk," he said, speaking before the emergency cabinet meeting.

"This is the time of national crisis - I would appeal for all Thai people to be united and join hands to fight against the people who have bad intentions toward the country," said Interior Minister Chitchai Wannasathit.

Electricity has now been restored and police spokesman Gen Sanirot Thammayot said the situation was under control and urged residents "not to panic, and to carry on with their lives as normal".

Thailand is predominantly Buddhist, with its 4% Muslim population concentrated in the troubled southern provinces - Pattani, Yala, Songkhla and Narathiwat.

In recent months, there have been almost daily ambushes and murders of Buddhist monks, teachers, police and soldiers.

Government officials have blamed the unrest on Islamic separatists.

also from the BeeB. :o

..... those living in the region are also very different from the rest of the Thai population.

The southern provinces were originally part of the ancient Kingdom of Pattani, a semi-autonomous Malay region which adopted Islam in the mid-13th century.

Thailand's Muslim divide

Thailand annexed the region in 1902, but the people living there had - and still do have - far more in common with their neighbours in Malaysia.

They speak Yawi, a Malay dialect, and most importantly they are Muslims, abiding by Islamic rules and restrictions.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3955543.stm

Thai PM gets new powers for south

Thai border police officers examine the scene where a bomb exploded in Yala province, southern Thailand Friday, July 15, 2005

Another bomb exploded in Yala on Friday, injuring four

Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has been granted sweeping new powers to deal with attacks by suspected Muslim militants in the country's south.

The new measures allow him to order the detention of suspects for seven days, censor newspapers and tap phones.

The Thai Cabinet agreed to issue the powerful decree after a series of co-ordinated attacks in the southern city of Yala on Thursday night.

More than 800 people have died in the southern unrest since January 2004.

The emergency powers, which Mr Thaksin was granted without judicial approval, replace the existing martial law.

As the cabinet meeting ended, another bomb went off behind a hospital where many of the injured from the previous night's attacks were being treated.

VIOLENCE-HIT SOUTH

Map showing Thailand's southern region and the city of Yala

Home to most of Thailand's 4% Muslim minority

Muslim rebels fought the government up to the mid-80s

Suspected militants have upped attacks since 2004, targeting Buddhists

Security forces' response criticised by rights groups

Thailand's restive south

Four people were hurt, raising the number of injuries in attacks on Yala city - in the province of the same name - to 26, with two fatalities.

Thursday's raids involved up to 60 suspected militants - who attacked Yala hotels, restaurants, a cinema and shops with bombs, guns and Molotov cocktails, after plunging the city into darkness by bombing a power station.

The attacks were highly co-ordinated, officials say, with the gunmen peppering the roads with spikes to prevent the security forces moving around the city.

'National crisis'

Mr Thaksin strongly condemned the attacks.

"These people want only violence. It means they do not want to talk," he said, speaking before the emergency cabinet meeting.

"This is the time of national crisis - I would appeal for all Thai people to be united and join hands to fight against the people who have bad intentions toward the country," said Interior Minister Chitchai Wannasathit.

Electricity has now been restored and police spokesman Gen Sanirot Thammayot said the situation was under control and urged residents "not to panic, and to carry on with their lives as normal".

Thailand is predominantly Buddhist, with its 4% Muslim population concentrated in the troubled southern provinces - Pattani, Yala, Songkhla and Narathiwat.

In recent months, there have been almost daily ambushes and murders of Buddhist monks, teachers, police and soldiers.

Government officials have blamed the unrest on Islamic separatists.

Certainly do not want to diminish the gravity of the situation in the South, but Mr. Toxin is very good at diverting attention and I think there are a lot of open issues facing his administration that he would like to see removed from the front pages of the newspapers and this will certainly accomplish that...

Stoneman

When looking at why this is happening in the South, I always wonder how much is due to historical antagonisms, and how much is due to the incompetent treatment of the south by this present government.

When looking at why this is happening in the South, I always wonder how much is due to historical antagonisms, and how much is due to the incompetent treatment of the south by this present government.

as I see it, taksin has shown a lot of patience in this matter.

ultimately, nobody can read another persons mind. and unless they speak their piece, there is no way the differences can be resolved.

the argument that some people are using that this land in southern thailand used to be in the hands of another power doesn't hold a grain of legitimacy in this matter. ..no one person present now lived in that time period.

that would be like the british coming over to the usa 300 years after the fact to place claim on america. pure irrationality.

I side with taksin on this issue. if the terrorists down there continue their murder down there, he has no choice but to go down there, and wipe them out, period.

show them the same kind of mercy they are showing their victims. right?

let taksin do his job - protect the nation, and the thai people.

ultimately, nobody can read another persons mind. and unless they speak their piece, there is no way the differences can be resolved.

the argument that some people are using that this land in southern thailand used to be in the hands of another power doesn't hold a grain of legitimacy in this matter. ..no one person present now lived in that time period.

that would be like the british coming over to the usa 300 years after the fact to place claim on america. pure irrationality.

I side with taksin on this issue. if the terrorists down there continue their murder down there, he has no choice but to go down there, and wipe them out, period.

Yeah right, and have extremeists from all over the world coming to help fight the battle, not wise.

This isn't about religion as such at the moment, it's more political, they need to be treated fairly, and given finacial assistance before it's too late. Acts of agression will only make things worse.

Instead of trying to wipe them all out, they need to find the route cause, and solve it, and it needs to be done very quickly before people head from indonesia and further afield to fight the cause.

Then it'll come to Bangkok!!!!

Yeah right, and have extremeists from all over the world coming to help fight the battle, not wise.

This isn't about religion as such at the moment, it's more political, they need to be treated fairly, and given finacial assistance before it's too late. Acts of agression will only make things worse.

Instead of trying to wipe them all out, they need to find the route cause, and solve it, and it needs to be done very quickly before people head from indonesia and further afield to fight the cause.

first off, you shouldn't assume that they want any help from taksin. if they did, they would be willing to talk about it.

but as it is, they are keeping silent and murdering people.

most people would agree that if a peaceful arrangement could be reached, they would go that route. the tsunami contributions is an perfect example of this policy.

no, what we have here is all-out war by these terrorists. you need to understand that. and treat it accordingly.

evil is a concept that many people refuse to accept. it exists and as soon as you realize that, you will be able to react appropriately.

what we have here is evil. pure and simple. deal with it.

you don't try to negotiate with somebody when they are trying to kill you, right?

you should defend yourself.

as for the extremists coming from outside... think about it...

...............they are already here.

do you ever wonder why nobody is bothering china? I'll tell you why. china would crush anybody without hesitation. no discussions. no diplomacy. only action.

first off, you shouldn't assume that they want any help from taksin. if they did, they would be willing to talk about it.

most people would agree that if a peaceful arrangement could be reached, they would go that route. the tsunami contributions is an perfect example of this policy.

no, what we have here is all-out war by these terrorists. you need to understand that. and treat it accordingly.

evil is a concept that many people refuse to accept. it exists and as soon as you realize that, you will be able to react appropriately.

you don't try to negotiate with somebody when they are trying to kill you, right?

do you ever wonder why nobody is bothering china? I'll tell you why. china would crush anybody without hesitation. no discussions. no diplomacy. only action.

So why have the police or army not caught the murderers yet? This has been happening for over a year and a half, the modus operandi is nearly always the same, 2 guys on a motorbike, no numberplate, the guy on the back gets off and shoots the teacher, rubber planter, civil servant, etc dead.Tell me haha, why they can get away with it?

all this nonsense about disadvantaged muslims, there are far more disadvantaged people living in Issan but they are not shooting and bombing innocent people.

Its time too kick some ass .

house to house searches to find weapons !

many muslims have poisened brains from propaganda.

as we see recently in the UK

herd them in concentration camps !

all this nonsense about disadvantaged muslims, there are far more disadvantaged people living in Issan but they are not shooting and bombing innocent people.

Its time too kick some ass .

house to house searches to find weapons !

many muslims have poisened brains from propaganda.

as we see recently in the UK

herd them in concentration camps !

It's the ones poisening the brains, as you say, that are the problem. Most of the youngsters commiting these violent acts weren't even born the last time there was significant unrest down south.

So why have the police or army not caught the murderers yet? This has been happening for over a year and a half, the modus operandi is nearly always the same, 2 guys on a motorbike, no numberplate, the guy on the back gets off and shoots the teacher, rubber planter, civil servant, etc dead.Tell me haha, why they can get away with it?

I never said I knew all the answers for all the problems in the world. but what I do know is that the current policy of just sitting around is not working.

that being the case, then, a person needs to try something else. right?

would you rather that taksin just sit on his butt and let the killing continue?

remember these people don't want to talk.

I never said I knew all the answers for all the problems in the world.  but what I do know is that the current policy of just sitting around is not working. 

that being the case, then, a person needs to try something else.  right?

would you rather that taksin just sit on his butt and let the killing continue?

remember these people don't want to talk.

haha --

Agree. Sitting on butt is the Bill Clinton or Chamberlin approach (UK WWII) -- kicking a@@ is the George Bush approach. Only difference is that the problem is within Thai borders and Thaksin can be more direct with his force and should be.

Fight fire with fire :o

I believe that the best way to permanently resolve this situation is to have both sides sit down and start negotiations. And while this is going on establish some sort of a cease fire arrangement...Yes I am aware that this is a long process filled with many problems but the alternative is even worse..

But I think the main problem facing Toxin right now is that he has no idea who is causing the problem and therefore can not even suggest that a series of "peace" talks might be productive...How can you resolve the problems when you have no idea of the names of the people that are the leaders of your enemies...

Stoneman

I wish I could say how to solve the problems in the south of Thailand.

For 36 years I was an armyofficer. I have served with military units from 4 different countries. Five years I was chief of security in an area as large as Issaan. I have worked together with brigades from both India and Pakistan in Kashmir.

But I can not.

Every conflict is different and very difficult to settle. It takes normally very long time.

In Kashmir the problems started 1947 and are still unsolved.

The conflict between catholics and protestants in northern Ireland started 1531 and was solved in 2000, hopefully.

So, as a guest in Thailand, I am not the man to blame its governement for "incompetence".

Fight fire with fire :o

Totally agree Doc, It is becoming quite evident all over the world that these extremists want power and nothing less so its no good the Govt one week pandering to them and next week saying they will get tough. Take lessons from the Israeli,s,its a war zone so declare it as such. Many decent muslims know who the perpitrators are but wont give them up so they must suffer some pain also.

Quite a few of these extremists have been caught so just send in the demolition boys and turn their homes or properties to rubble,couple that with curfews and martial law and just maybe a bit of personal suffering will entice people to decide that peaceful co-existance is the preferable choice and help get rid of the back shooting animals. :D

Extremists are, by definition, just that. The trouble makers down south will not have much popular support, regardless of religion etc. Correct me if I'm wrong on that premise.

If a more hard line were taken, then it could be that some of the law abiding, peaceful Muslims will start to shop their fanatical brothers and sisters.

Extremists are, by definition, just that. The trouble makers down south will not have much popular support, regardless of religion etc. Correct me if I'm wrong on that premise.

If a more hard line were taken, then it could be that some of the law abiding, peaceful Muslims will start to shop their fanatical brothers and sisters.

Harbouring a criminal and associating with criminals are serious offences in most western nations and actions against the people guilty of these could possibly urge them to give up the extremists ,their trainers,backers, bomb and firearms suppliers and the leaders, a snake without a head soon dies. Perhaps its time to act with the same ruthlessness as was displayed during the so called war on drugs.

Surely it doesn't have to be that extreme. I think the same tactics used to keep falangs in line could be applied here...

Do these southern Thais even have work permits and the proper visas? Are they reporting their residency every 90 days?

:o

You sound like one of the students employed by the present Government to write on forums speaking highly of their actions, and countering any critisisms.

First of all where have we seen any frame work built to negotiate with the people behind these attacks, negotioations need to be made now before it gets really out of hand.

The acts they are commiting are evil, but maybe sending large numbers of troops, who will probobally have the power for extra judicial killings is not sending the right signal. Also installing CCTV in all mosques is a very bad move, is it a place of worship, it's the same as putting in camera's in all Temples or Churches, all this shows is greater distrust from the government, and will further worsen the problems between the Budhists and the Muslims in the Deep South.

This has escalated due to gross missmanagement, only a new government can solve these problems, a hardline nationlistic government is half the problem, if not all of it.

Also Tsunami contributions are completely irrelavant, Most of the Deep South was hardly effected at all, and even the areas that were have recieved little help, just ask the poor people of Khao Lak, who voted TRT in the last election, most of them havn't seen a single baht, many are stilling living in temporary camps, meanwhile big corpoarations are trying to buy up huge plots of land, maybe they'll come in handy for Casino's one day?

Phi Phi Casino anyone???

also from the BeeB. :D

..... those living in the region are also very different from the rest of the Thai population.

The southern provinces were originally part of the ancient Kingdom of Pattani, a semi-autonomous Malay region which adopted Islam in the mid-13th century.

Thailand's Muslim divide

Thailand annexed the region in 1902, but the people living there had - and still do have - far more in common with their neighbours in Malaysia.

They speak Yawi, a Malay dialect, and most importantly they are Muslims, abiding by Islamic rules and restrictions.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3955543.stm

So can I conclude that the general consensus of opinion on this subject ref above and as to whether it has or has not ANY legit foundation in relation to said above statement is open to or is NOT open to any discernable option.(even just in discussion mode)

Spoke briefly to her indoors about the vague possibility of a hand back :o but am still waiting for the bruises to heal. :D

We can't justify the "George Bush approach" because there isn't any oil (other than palm oil) in the deep South.

Besides, GW is just a puppet... Thaksin is a Puppet Master. Welcome to the Police State.

Seriously, I'd like to see a peaceful approach. I think that it just might be beyond the sit-around-a-table-and-chat stage. Innocent folks are dying every day and there seems to be no reason why we should think it's going to get any better. Something needs to be done right now.

And, why don't the police stop any motorbike without a license plate and take them to the police station for questioning? :o