Chiang Mai Businesses Closing Or For Sale

tabs053

Fish spas!! How damned stupid are they? They should never have been in business in the first place, being gimmicky and not much else.

It was fun to look at the stupid farangs using them though and the look on the faces of the Thai's watching in disbelief. :huh:

No wonder they think we have money to throw away.

I've seen Thais watching idiot farangs in fish spas, and probably thinking to themselves "How easy is it to con these stupid creatures"?? Some people would walk around with a dog turd on their heads if they thought it trendy to do so!

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone know how we can get on the 7-11 Gravy Train?

I've heard a couple of conflicting rumours - franchises are only 500,000THB and all CM 7-11s are owned by the same family that's behind Rimping.

Can anyone separate truth from fiction as over the years, whilst driving about, I've said to Mrs Pikey "that'd be a good place for a 7-11" and sure enough, one has sprouted up and although to the western eye, the market seems to be saturated, particularly in the city, this is obviously not the case.

Cheers,

Pikey.

hi pikey your bike business must be doing well if youve got a few quid to invest. nice one, good to hear of a success story.

any chance of a short-term loan. pm me if u can help.

LOL - yep, doing great in these hard times. NOT.

The 7/11 gig is something that I had always been "curious" in knowing the score rather than seriously considering it as a business. I checked out the other poster's links and not exactly a "Gravy Train" unless you have the right combination going for you - much like any business really.

Have PM'd you with a reply to your request, though you may not like the answer...... ;)

Cheers,

Pikey.

hi pikey your bike business must be doing well if youve got a few quid to invest. nice one, good to hear of a success story.

Have PM'd you with a reply to your request, though you may not like the answer...... ;)

Cheers,

Pikey.

its not your money? nice one. not only won't you help me you added me as a friend! some friend.

anyone know how to remove unwanted friends?

Cheers,

Pikey.

its not your money? nice one. not only won't you help me you added me as a friend! some friend.

anyone know how to remove unwanted friends?

I heard about 20,000 baht does the trick though you might get it cheaper in these hard times ;)

Cheers,

Pikey (looking over his shoulder)

The business that has always amazed me here is Sizzlers. We tend to go for the salad bar, and if I am pushed to have a main course will have the fish and chips which is not bad. But the food as a whole is rubbish and not cheap. Without alchohol it is around 300 Baht a head, but both restaurants are nearly allways full of Thais. You can sometimes see a queue outside on weekends or holidays.

Is it a franchise as well?

Iain

The business that has always amazed me here is Sizzlers. We tend to go for the salad bar, and if I am pushed to have a main course will have the fish and chips which is not bad. But the food as a whole is rubbish and not cheap. Without alchohol it is around 300 Baht a head, but both restaurants are nearly allways full of Thais. You can sometimes see a queue outside on weekends or holidays.

Iain

it is a franchise. why is it you go there? the little womans idea no doubt. good man.

• Like 1

Iain

it is a franchise. why is it you go there? the little womans idea no doubt. good man.

As stated we go for the salad bar. Also I liked the onion soup, but it hasnt been on the soup rota for a while now.

Iain

Iain

As stated we go for the salad bar. Also I liked the onion soup, but it hasnt been on the soup rota for a while now.

Iain

Sizzlers is not a franchise it is owned by The Minor Food Group. http://sizzler.co.th/en/press_australian_tour.php

Iain

Iain

Sizzlers is not a franchise it is owned by The Minor Food Group. http://sizzler.co.th/en/press_australian_tour.php

I dont mean to contradict, but I followed your link, clicked on history and got...

Sizzler, the global franchise, western - style restaurant was first opened in Culver City, California on January 27, 1958 by pioneering restaurateurs Del and Helen Johnson, The name ‘Sizzler’ comes from ‘sizzle’ sound of steak on the hot plate.

That's is true in the US but not Thailand. The Minor Food Group of Thailand owns all the Sizzlers Restaurant's and operates them in Thailand.

http://www.minorfoodgroup.com/

http://www.minorfoodgroup.com/franchising/index.html

They do have four units for franchising..

Swensens

The Coffe Club

Thai Express

The Pizza Company.

Edited by gotlost

Something I have noticed over the years is that their a lot more 'supersized' Thai these days - men and women - and yet outsize clothing stores seem to be very elusive. Even the super markets only tend to go up to 38 in jean/trousers etc - and XL (which is really L) in shirt sizes. Where do these waddlers shop? A decent outsize shop with fashions and quality as well as day wear could make a mint here - clothing factories knock out clothes at tiny prices, but with practically a monopoly, prices could be higher than 'normal' sizes.

I know there are a few select (an often very expensive) farang places, but where to the Thais go?

I've never been to tuskers, never met the owners, got nothing against or for them, but do know the location. I do wonder whether it's one of those businesses that has been well built up successfully by the owners, but that success wont necessarily transfer to the new owner. Just my thoughts.

I've seen a couple of examples of that recently with smaller bar/restaurants that changed hands. Basic scenario was that each place had about half dozen regulars customers that you could count on to spend 600 to 1000 baht per day on food & drink and maybe twice that many that drop in for one drink per day, and business attributable to those regulars was what made the difference between the joint being profitable rather than not profitable. Those regulars seemed to be attracted to the place as much by comradery with the owner as by the quality of the food & drink Then a new owner comes and 3/4 of those regulars wind up being lost. That not only creates a revenue gap due to the directly lost business but it also makes the place appear to be empty, discouraging passersby from stopping in. It seems people generally are hesitant to stop into an emplty place unless they are already a regular, so when regulars start to vanish the problems can really snowball.

I think this is particularly true of a restaurant.

Empty restaurants usually give off the vibes that the food's lousy and empty bars are usually a sign of being both overpriced and no atmosphere.

I like the ambience, but it is off the main drag, so to speak.

Not sure about new custom, possibly have flyers in hotels and accommodation places.

Well I think he meant all the Sizzler Franchisees in Thailand are fully owned by Minor Foods and they have exclusive rights in Thailand.

I heard 7\11 owners (Franchisees) only make 25K bt to 40 K bt pm in Thailand, as the 'real company' makes the big bucks. Whilst an initial investment of only 1.5-2+ Mio to buy one, then have the lease, outgoings, etc would a Farang businessman accept to be a Manager F\T and only make at most 40K bt pm Profit??? Or 10K bt if hire your own Manager x2. So as a passive investment you make only 120,000bt pa for a 1.5-2 Mio investment. Unless you get some good capital growth from the Franchise then not a very good yield. As an owner operator, no Farang interested to be a Manager of 7\11 on a 10-15K bt pm wage. As an investment not so HOT, unless as someone else stated the 7/11 saturation is only half- doubt it.

When you do the sums- it makes no sense to be worth any of my time. I feel other investors come to the same conclusion. Long time for ROI in a foreign land is not worth the risk. Yet I am sure a few farangs own 7\11s in Thailand.

More lookalikes will pop up IMO- they worth a look. 108, etc.

I understand the concept as convenience to Thais and Farangs. As Mum and Pop stores do not have everything and who can be bothered to go to 3-4 different places. Well done to those who give the Mums and Pops their money first- yet 7\11's are owned by Mums and pops also- Lol. Yet 7\11 Mums and Pops taken more of a risk with a larger investment than the perceived smaller mum and pop.

Anyway in terms of CMai businesses closing. I see many like the stock market- we have had a shocker of a time now many want out whilst we have a perceived peace in Thailand. It would have been a hel_l of a time for Farang business owners the last 2 years, in general.

Unfortunately it close to Fire Sale prices that will need to be accepted to offload these White businesses now. As another poster said- the prices being asked are foolish by farang owners. And we give the Thais a hard time. We take what we can get and hopefully what we are worth.

Yet very stressful times for Farang businesses who want out right now. Many want out.

k

I see that the old hemp factory, roof top bar just down a few doors from Mc Donalds at Tha Phae Gate is being gutted for a new adventure.

aghh

i have been looking for ages for a double front place near mcdonalds but never found

Those that snooze lose.:lol:

Really is the Roof Top bar closing or being reinvented.

That been around for sometime now.

Last time i went earlier this year- it was packed out with approx. 80% thais 20% Farang. So I thought the Hemp Factory would be all good.

What will the reinvention be... I thought they would have still been making very good money in such a good location.

Are they looking to sell or reinvent???

Last time i went earlier this year- it was packed out with approx. 80% thais 20% Farang. So I thought the Hemp Factory would be all good.

What will the reinvention be... I thought they would have still been making very good money in such a good location.

I have no idea what is going to happen. Yesterday about 2PM there was a crew of about 8 men ripping the H out of the ground floor. All shutters were open and sledgehammers crowbars and dust were flying.

At the Fish Spa behind Carrefour, they have a sign out front that lists prices as "Up to you"! No joke. My g/f went in there and asked what that meant and it literally meant whatever you offer. The girl said that there had not been a single customer in 3 days.

'The year of the Fish Spa' hahahahaha

Some clever marketeer did a good job by selling hundreds of fish-spa equipments to Chiang Mai 'would-be-successful-business-owners' :lol: What a joke, every 100 meter a fish spa, while business already was dying a quiet death.

Glad I sold my 2 cafe's 6 years ago, right on time !

The only ones who are buying now (read: paying 'key-money') :lol: are some dreamers abroad, or those under influence of their bargirl or lunetics in general... :lol:

Sure there still are few business opportunities here, low investment, low overhead, just profit, but I keep this delicate information for myself if you don't mind :jap:

Quote: 'the prices being asked are foolish by farang owners' UNQUOTE.N'ere a more accurate statement!

Check the classifieds or the real estate listings: used stoves, fridges, bedding, mattresses, children's clothing and electronics especially, which should be offered at a pittance because of their nearly or surpassed used-by date, or unhygienic condition, are being offered at near retail prices as if new. :ermm: 'Caveat emptor'was never more true than when dealing on a farang-to-farang basis in Chiangmai.

Quote: 'the prices being asked are foolish by farang owners' UNQUOTE.N'ere a more accurate statement!

Check the classifieds or the real estate listings: used stoves, fridges, bedding, mattresses, children's clothing and electronics especially, which should be offered at a pittance because of their nearly or surpassed used-by date, or unhygienic condition, are being offered at near retail prices as if new. :ermm:

Agree- Farang to Farang we think we can charge each other more than selling to a Thai. SO how does this make us any different to Thais wanting to charge us more for rental, etc.

I know guys whom have bought and sold over the years to try make a profit from buying off thais and onselling to their own countrymen. I guess we all got to make a buck, yet in CMai nothing holds more true in my experience as Farang taking advantage of Farang. To try make a buck.

Many of the businesses for sale would have only paid Key money and now trying to offload before more Key money is due when contract renewed. Plus at far higher prices than the KEY money.

Eg. I know of 1 guy whom paid 300,000 bt Key money for a 3 + 3 year lease. He onsold a year later to a guy from his homeland, a supposed friend for 3 times the price. He really did very little to the place and used it more for partying than making a dollar (yes- I was envious). Yet what was 17000 pounds to the other UK guy, not a lot. Thus the mentality of Farang business men in CMai towards newcomers who wish to setup shop.

Many mistakes I wish I could take back from earlier in the decade, yet learn from mistakes is the name of the game.

I agree with Sarah's Bloke- key money into a nice place you can shack up with the misses---try turn it into something if you feel you can. If you fail at least u have a place to stay whilst you onsell to another Farang who wants to try do the same thing while shacking up with a series of Tgf's.

To Bangkok man- good for you for selling a Life time ago for what you propose was a profit- nice pint of arrogance with a twist of gloating thrown in- as we do not really give a crap in your supposed business success whilst others have failed. Plus the gloating over 'Ohhh Wow' new opportunities in CMai you not telling us about- we really do envy your brillant success as a high flyer. I am sure we will see you on the cover of BRW very soon- get over yourself. Stick to BKK...

>>'Caveat th emptor' was never more true than when dealing on a farang-to-farang basis in Chiangmai.<< So true

I have no idea what is going to happen. Yesterday about 2PM there was a crew of about 8 men ripping the H out of the ground floor. All shutters were open and sledgehammers crowbars and dust were flying.

I was told by a pretty reliable source, that it will now be a Nike shoe shop. I guess we'll have to wait and see if that's true.

Not exactly much of a contribution to the area. Although the rent sounded very reasonable, but maybe they wanted a large up front sum in addition.

Chiang Mai's cultural centre now hosts Starbucks, McD and Nike (?) all soon in a row. :blink:

Edited by cmsally

I was told by a pretty reliable source, that it will now be a Nike shoe shop. I guess we'll have to wait and see if that's true.

Not exactly much of a contribution to the area. Although the rent sounded very reasonable, but maybe they wanted a large up front sum in addition.

Chiang Mai's cultural centre now hosts Starbucks, McD and Nike (?) all soon in a row. :blink:

You forgot to throw in Air Asia, Gecko Books (TV Sponsor) a few massage shops Pops Bike Rentals and Spotlight Go Go. Bar.

You forgot to throw in Air Asia, Gecko Books (TV Sponsor) a few massage shops Pops Bike Rentals and Spotlight Go Go. Bar.

Which all helps to make it the world's second best city........try finding a Pops Bike Rental in Paris. :huh:

Actually you are right about the Fish Spa cunning! The first operators told me that they didn't expect the 'craze' to last for more than 6 months, by which time they had made tons of initial money (the first fish spa was packed 8 hours or more a day for about three months) and sold off 6 or 8 franchises and equipment...so they are laughing to the bank! But you are all right, business sucks right now. But as an eternal optimist, I think that I can feel things changing and a bit more energy in the market - naiive or positive, take your pick.

Actually you are right about the Fish Spa cunning! The first operators told me that they didn't expect the 'craze' to last for more than 6 months, by which time they had made tons of initial money (the first fish spa was packed 8 hours or more a day for about three months) and sold off 6 or 8 franchises and equipment...so they are laughing to the bank! But you are all right, business sucks right now. But as an eternal optimist, I think that I can feel things changing and a bit more energy in the market - naiive or positive, take your pick.

Lets hope your positive feeling about the market are right :D

I'm over in the UK at the moment and saw a fish spa in Kensington, a load of sloanes were in getting there feet nibbled, I won't tell you how much they charged because you would'nt believe me :unsure: