Thai Conversation Thread

siamesekitty

Well, seeing this is a Thai language forum, and quite a few of the members seem to have gotten the hang of the language, while others are still learning and might want to practice, how 'bout posting in Thai?

ลองคุยภาษาไทยกันมั้ยคะ :o

Excellent idea, Kitty!

Boy, I'm glad someone got the ball rolling on this one. Now, we've got to establish conversation levels for us newbies and the level the 'Big Guns' speak at.

ผมคิดยังงี้ด้วย ลอง คุย ภาษาไทย กัน มั้ย ครัป is a great idea! :o

p.s. spelling/construction mistake corrections welcomed too! :D

สวัสดีครับผมชื่อเบ็นครับ That's about my level so please be patient

Can we keep the font size set to size 14 for Thai script as well as any smaller is just a pain in the a***

Edited by withnail

แปลกดีแฮะ รวบรวมฝรั่งมาคุยภาษาไทยกัน คิดได้อย่างไงเนี่ยเรา :o

(แปลก ดี แฮะ รวบ รวม ฝรั่ง มา คุย ภาษาไทย กัน คิด ได้ อย่างไง เนี่ย เรา)

translation: This is nicely weird, eh? .. bringing a bunch of farangs together to talk in Thai.. how did I ever get such an idea? :D

Now about establishing conversation levels... maybe we should start off with some posts back and forth and adjust accordingly? I was thinking about separate threads for newbies and more experienced speakers but then that might just split our already small numbers. Or let's just see.. trial and error.. ลอง ผิด ลอง ถูก :D

เราไม่ชอบทั้งคู่เลยค่ะ คุณwithnail :o

Let me do some testing with the fonts and font sizes here:

แบบนี้ดีมั้ย How about this? (Arial - Large)

หรือแบบนี้ or this? (Arial - Largest)

หรือแบบนี้ดีกว่า or would this be better (Times - Large)

หรือว่าอย่างงี้ or like this? (Times - Largest)

อยากรู้จังเลยว่า default font คืออะไร? (This is Courier - Large)

Just trying to find a font that works best for both Thai and English... the first sentence is the default font, set at "Large" . Might be easiest if everybody sees it like I see it on my screen.

เราไม่ชอบทั้งคู่เลยค่ะ คุณwithnail :o

Let me do some testing with the fonts and font sizes here:

แบบนี้ดีมั้ย How about this? (Arial - Large)

หรือแบบนี้  or this? (Arial - Largest)

หรือแบบนี้ดีกว่า  or would this be better (Times - Large)

หรือว่าอย่างงี้  or like this? (Times - Largest)

อยากรู้จังเลยว่า default font คืออะไร? (This is Courier - Large)

Just trying to find a font that works best for both Thai and English... the first sentence is the default font, set at "Large" . Might be easiest if everybody sees it like I see it on my screen.

Good idea! Arial Large ดูจะใช้ได้ดีพอใช้ แต่คิดว่าแต่ละคนอาจเห็นตัวหนังสือต่างกัน จริงหรือเปล่าก็ไม่แน่ใจ....

Edited by Dara

It depends on which browswer you use. With Firefox, I think siamesekitty's last post is too small to be comfortable. The ability to read small Thai fonts also depends on your eyesight as well as how used you are to reading. In the beginning, the size Withnail suggested should be best.

Tip: You can enlarge all text in a page displayed with Firefox by clicking View - Text Size - Enlarge, as many times as you like until it's suitable.

Sorry, I dont have a Thai keyboard here.

Can we keep the font size set to size 14 for Thai script as well as any smaller is just a pain in the a***

what font are you using, withnail? default?

a. ลองดู default .. both in ไทย and English.. set to "Large" (size 7)

b. ลองดู Arial .. both in ไทย and English.. set to "Large" (size 7)

c. ลองดู default .. both in ไทย and English.. set to "Largest" (size 14)

d. ลองดู Arial .. both in ไทย and English.. set to "Largest" (size 14)

On my laptop, using Internet Explorer, a. and b. look okay. With c. and d. the English is huge, but at least with Arial the English and Thai letters are closer in size.

(After we get this figured out then we can get to talking :o)

Edited by siamesekitty

เพื่ออ่านภาษาไทยโดยเบราว์เซอร์ Firefox ผมทำให้ Tahoma เป็น default font สำหรับทุกอย่าง แม้ว่าผมคิดว่า ‘large’ (size=7) ใหญ่ไป ก็มีคนอื่นคิดว่าทุกขนาดที่น้อยกว่าก็น้อยไป ผมจึงใช้ขนาดที่ 7 ยกเว้นลืม กานใช้ง่ายด้วย เลือกคำไทยแล้วก็เลือก ‘large’ ที่เมนู ‘size’

I was using default font set to largest for Thai script แบบนี้

But I think large would probably be fine อันนี้ก็ได้

I have to admit when you use arial I find it very uncomfortable to try and read in firefox

ไมชอบแบบนี้่ ไมชอบแบบน

so my preference would be default at either large or largest, you can always keep the English at normal size.

โอเคมั้ยครับ

Edit. Okay for some reason the arial font looks okay in my post but I definately have trouble with it in Kitty and Dara's posts.

Edited by withnail

:D

ก็ได้ ตามใจค่ะ... :o

จะขอให้หารูปผู้ชายหล่อๆ ล่ำๆ แทนก็เกรงใจ กลัวคนอื่นเข้าใจผิดว่าคุณเป็น.... :D

อุ๊ย ขอโทษค่ะ ลืมแปลให้ด้วย :D

(Oops, sorry. Forgot to translate as well)

:D

ก็ได้ ตามใจค่ะ...  :o 

Alrighty, whatever. Up to you...

จะขอให้หารูปผู้ชายหล่อๆ ล่ำๆ แทนก็เกรงใจ  กลัวคนอื่นเข้าใจผิดว่าคุณเป็น....  :D

I would ask you to find a picture of a handsome, muscular guy instead, but I'm afraid some of the other members might get the wrong idea about you (that you are...)

Edited by siamesekitty

I worked that out in the end (with a bit of help from www.thai2english.com) but if you could include translation for long sentences that would help me a lot.

ขอบคุณครับ

Please correct anything I write wrong as well. ผมคิดว่าผมเขียนผิดทุกครั้ง

Also I get a bit confused about differences with written and spoken Thai, pressumably online it would be acceptable to use either but can you give me a bit of guidance with this.

เท่าที่เขียนมาก็ถูกแล้วค่ะ

What you've written has been fine so far.

แต่ถ้ามีเขียนผิดมาก็จะบอก ไม่ว่ากันนะ :D

But if there's something written incorrectly I'll tell ya. I hope you won't mind!

Spoken and written Thai is a bit different, as with English. Just pop the questions as they come up and I'll see if I can help. :o

P.S. อาจจะไม่ค่อยว่างเข้ามาคุยบ่อยนัก แต่จะพยายามแวะมาบ้าง (I might be too busy to come by and chat often, but I'll try to drop in sometimes)

ถ้ามีเขียนผิดมาก็จะบอก ไม่ว่ากันนะ อาจจะไม่ค่อยว่างเข้ามาคุยบ่อยนัก แต่จะพยายามแวะมาบ้าง
ไม่เป็นไรครับ
เท่าที่เขียนมาก็ถูกแล้วค่ะ

ยินดีครับคุฌKitty ขอบคุณมากนะครับ :o

Edited by withnail