Hat Yai Vs. Narathiwat Vs. Nakhon Si Thammarat?

tonititan

Any advice on which of these 3 places (Hat Yai, Narathiwat, & Nakhon Si Thammarat) would be best for a weekend trip? Has anyone been to one? I would love either a nice beach, OR to see a part of Thailand that is somewhat unique.

I'm also wondering about safety. I've read so much in the news about bombings and shootings in these areas. The violence seems to be directed towards other Thais, but is it something that should deter a group of foreigners (probably all women) from visiting? Which areas would be the safest?

Thanks!

Hat Yai (and nearby Songkhla town - 30 minutes away) are both pretty interesting places and feature good Chinese food (a couple restaurants that feature no menu and where ordering is done mainly in Mandarin), Muslim food and roti, and some interesting sites. Hat Yai has an interesting Chinese presence and a large Chinese style market downtown. And nearby Songkhla has a decent (but not quite beautiful) beach, an interesting fishing village at the North side of the beach, and some unique old town fishing port areas.

Narathiwat should be plenty safe should you choose to visit there. I've been there since the violence started and never felt uncomfortable. I don't know what there is to do or see there, beside some interesting parks and waterfalls, etc. But it should be safe.

• Like 1

I believe the safest of the locations you have mentioned an interest in is Nakhon Si Thammarat. You would have to be in the wrong place at the wrong time to have a problem in any of them, but that has happened to foreign tourists in Hat Yai in the past. Having traveled extensively in the southern provinces myself, I would be remiss to suggest there is no danger in Pattani, Yala, or Narathiwat.

In Nakhon Si Thammarat there is the wonderfull Wat Phra Mahathat Woramahawihan, one of the oldest, largest, and most beautiful temples in all of Thailand. The National Museum that is on the opposite side of the same street and not too distant is very good. I enjoyed the animal park, (zoo), in the city as well. The aviaries there are huge and quite nice to walk around in.

Sonkla has one of the best national museums in the country, the old building being worth a wander in its own right.

Edited by siamiam
  • Like 1

On my last trip to Thailand (Oct 2009) I visited all three places you mention.

Narathiwat, its nice there but as far as sights in the city they are lacking. The people are really friendly however. Back in 1985 I spent a week in Belfast, NI and Narathiwat reminded me of that. Its interesting to see a truck of army guys pull up to a 7/11 set up a perimeter, two guys go in and buy a coke. Every time I stopped anywhere, a police patrol would soon pull up to protect me.

Hat Yai, I could see spending a weekend here. Its a wonderful city with lots of options for food and entertainment. Absolutely no problems with security. Not a lot in the way of sights, but it is a very nice place. If you want to go to the beach Songkla is also nice and only 40 km away or so. I liked Songkla except for the double pricing at the aquarium and the above mentioned National Museum, I went to both but left after seeing the prices. There are some nice temples and the areas by the sea are nice. Also good food and hotels.

Nakhon Si Thammarat, this place is great. The temple mentioned above is outstanding as are the city walls and the surrounding area. Absolutely no safety issues here at all. The downside is that beyond the temple and wall area the city is not as special or interesting as Hat Yai.

So in conclusion, Hat Yai gets my vote. Fly down on a Friday evening, hang out in the city. The next day visit Songkla and spend time at a beach. Stay in hotel there or return to Hat Yai for the evening. Sunday in Hat Yai and leaving in the afternoon. A wonderful weekend.