Laptop Not Starting Correctly

JAS21

I have a Compaq CQ45 laptop. Recently it has refused to start correctly when I have the screen open to the normal position.

It sounds as though it comes up to where I would log on, but the screen remains blank throughout although it does go light and dark as though it is getting some input.

If I start it up with the screen at less than about ninety degrees open it always comes up correctly. I’m running Win7, I have done system restore as far back as I can, run the virus checker and found nothing.

So can anyone advise, is it on the way out? Anyone had a similar problem, I can keep starting it with the screen partly closed but am concerned that one day it will refuse to start with the screen at any opening..thanks

It sounds very much like the ribbon cable that connects the base to the LCD is broken somewhere. It needs to be replaced by the sound of it ?

Yes agreed - or could just be loose perhaps (they don't tend to break, they don't get enough bend for that) - on laptops they are usually pushed into a slide connector on the mainboard, a drop can cause them to pull out slightly. If you feel a little brave, you could remove the bottom case and see if the cable is pushed home correctly.

It sounds very much like the ribbon cable that connects the base to the LCD is broken somewhere. It needs to be replaced by the sound of it ?

Agreed. Loose connection or fractured ribbon.

I have a different problem, also very annoying. When I switch on my laptop (Vaio) sometimes my screen is coming on about 20% shorter on one side. This distorts the picture. The worst part is that it is showing only sporadically. I have no idea what causes this. Frankly I am scared to take it to a repair shop. Have little faith in their skills. I suppose a good diagnostic test might show the problem. If it appears during the test.

Any ideas? Thanks:)

Yes agreed - or could just be loose perhaps (they don't tend to break, they don't get enough bend for that) - on laptops they are usually pushed into a slide connector on the mainboard, a drop can cause them to pull out slightly. If you feel a little brave, you could remove the bottom case and see if the cable is pushed home correctly.

I have just used HP support, apparently they won't help if out of warranty ...But he said...'However, from the problem description it appears to be a hardware issue, with the LCD panel and the entire LCD panel needs to be replaced as spare for cable is not available separately'. Also...'I could take it to HP and they advise if cable is loose or what'.

It works at the moment....so I will leave it as it is....and go to HP sometime....thanks guys