Bride Trafficking Unveiled

Mrbiggus

I got to the end of part 3 and had to stop watching this crap.

As is usual with these types of documentaries there are so many made up statistics, for example a third of Thai sex workers were sold into prostitution as children.

Also the inaccuracies are laughable, such as stating about Nana Plaza that many girls believe when they come here that if a western man sleeps with them, he's making a commitment that's tantamount to marriage.

She then spouts on about women going missing from Nana and Pattaya as if it is a daily occurrence.

I do not understand why there is never any research carried out when these types of documentaries are made.

Talking to NGOs will not give you facts as the NGOs will always present false facts and figures in front of the camera in order to ensure their future funding.

As is usual the Western man is vilified again and Thailand is made to look like the sex capital of the world.

Yes there is a sex industry in Thailand but there are many more things to see and do in Thailand.

• Like 1

OMG - started out quite well I thought (first 5 minutes or so), but then just turned into the normal biased drivel. Leading questions, poorly (if at all) researched, supposition and guesses presented as facts, complete lies (such as the liar from the Poppy Foundation who stated that if a abused foreign wife came forward the British government would disbelieve them and send them home - utter codswhallop - there has been legislature for a long time protecting such women specifically - I have helped women in the UK in such circumstances - if they are married, they can often get ILR even if they have broken from their spouse before applying if the relationship was abusive - the police arrest and prosecute domestic violence in the UK, it is not over looked - I once had a conversation with some police (officially) and the violent crime unit in Kent on just this thing, the standard OP is to lift (i.e. arrest) the spouse who is being accused of being abusive directly (to separate them) and then decide if it is prosecutable (or even believable) back at the station. As TonyTigerBKK talked about, she states that 'you only have to watch Thai daily news to see the violence and murder here and how often these girls go missing' - has she ever watched Thai TV? Did she understand it? I can't remember once ever seeing a news report about Nana Plaza girls going missing or being beat up - plenty about their customers though - I am not saying it doesn't happen, but her proof (Thai TV) was made up to justify what she thinks happens - hardly real journalism.

I can't understand why she did the prostitution bit at all - it did not fit, made little sense, the one guy that mentioned them said they were not allowed to join his mail order club, and did nothing but further (and completely) undermined the credibility of the whole thing.

One of these days someone will make a good documentary where they do both sides of the coin. With an unbiased approach - talking to 40 year old divorcées here that are never given the time of day with Thai men they see every day, that find a man that cares for them and their abandoned children; meeting with men in their 20's and 30's meeting girls online that are the same age, with jobs/businesses/qualifications/decent incomes; men who gave everything to their bride, treated them like ladies and were ripped off and lost everything; speak to couples that met this way and still are happily married x years later - and then talk to the women who have had it bad also. Ask both (all 3 if they can catch up with any of the gold digging con women) sets of women why they look for foreign husbands - and all types of men old and young why they look to Thailand/Phi/Russia/etc. Though that would take research and more than a $1500 video camera and a plane ticket.

NGO's always speak rubbish, it what keeps then earning western wages in a third world country and keeps their coffers topped up - they use reports that are more than twenty years out of date - and were dubious even then - as if it is current (like history can be changed).

People trafficking is a serious, awful, crime - to compare a mail order wife with 150 Chinese women locked in a shipping contained for 3 weeks on the high seas and heading into slavery and forced prostituion and drug smuggling is ridiculous.

• Like 1

The full doc can be found on a new Internet TV channel called "current.com"

http://current.com/groups/on-current-tv/92357386_bride-trafficking-unveiled.htm

IMO I think it is exceedingly bad journalism.

But is this the sort of stuff people tend to believe?

And if she gets any form of "lobbying" she might completely change the laws regarding "foreign wives"

• Like 1

OMG - started out quite well I thought (first 5 minutes or so), but then just turned into the normal biased drivel. Leading questions, poorly (if at all) researched, supposition and guesses presented as facts, complete lies (such as the liar from the Poppy Foundation who stated that if a abused foreign wife came forward the British government would disbelieve them and send them home - utter codswhallop - there has been legislature for a long time protecting such women specifically - I have helped women in the UK in such circumstances - if they are married, they can often get ILR even if they have broken from their spouse before applying if the relationship was abusive - the police arrest and prosecute domestic violence in the UK, it is not over looked - I once had a conversation with some police (officially) and the violent crime unit in Kent on just this thing, the standard OP is to lift (i.e. arrest) the spouse who is being accused of being abusive directly (to separate them) and then decide if it is prosecutable (or even believable) back at the station. As TonyTigerBKK talked about, she states that 'you only have to watch Thai daily news to see the violence and murder here and how often these girls go missing' - has she ever watched Thai TV? Did she understand it? I can't remember once ever seeing a news report about Nana Plaza girls going missing or being beat up - plenty about their customers though - I am not saying it doesn't happen, but her proof (Thai TV) was made up to justify what she thinks happens - hardly real journalism.

I can't understand why she did the prostitution bit at all - it did not fit, made little sense, the one guy that mentioned them said they were not allowed to join his mail order club, and did nothing but further (and completely) undermined the credibility of the whole thing.

One of these days someone will make a good documentary where they do both sides of the coin. With an unbiased approach - talking to 40 year old divorcées here that are never given the time of day with Thai men they see every day, that find a man that cares for them and their abandoned children; meeting with men in their 20's and 30's meeting girls online that are the same age, with jobs/businesses/qualifications/decent incomes; men who gave everything to their bride, treated them like ladies and were ripped off and lost everything; speak to couples that met this way and still are happily married x years later - and then talk to the women who have had it bad also. Ask both (all 3 if they can catch up with any of the gold digging con women) sets of women why they look for foreign husbands - and all types of men old and young why they look to Thailand/Phi/Russia/etc. Though that would take research and more than a $1500 video camera and a plane ticket.

NGO's always speak rubbish, it what keeps then earning western wages in a third world country and keeps their coffers topped up - they use reports that are more than twenty years out of date - and were dubious even then - as if it is current (like history can be changed).

People trafficking is a serious, awful, crime - to compare a mail order wife with 150 Chinese women locked in a shipping contained for 3 weeks on the high seas and heading into slavery and forced prostituion and drug smuggling is ridiculous

Very well thought out response. Hear Here!!

• 1 month later...

Obviously the interviewer does not have a clue about Thailand , She should have gone to the INDUSTRIAL areas of Thailand and ask a few Lady's there, just after they have finished there/13/14 hour shift , working in a stinking factory , for 200baht a day ,Thats why they are looking for a better life. Unfortunately they will take any option , but i would do the same for a better life , its called living not existing. chok dee to them

Edited by Thongkorn

• 3 weeks later...

At first glance the presenter is not bad looking, but my god, after 5 minutes her attitude of "evil men exploiting poor women" without the slightest awareness that she clearly doesn't have the intelligence or detached logic to actually be worth listening to made me glad I haven't been in the UK for 15 years and had to date this kind of women.

Very poorly made and researched :bah:

BY FAR the best documentaries I've seen on "mail-order brides/nightlife" in Thailand are these two:

Love on Delivery and Ticket to Paradise by Janus Metz.

They are also called Thai to Thy and Thy to Thailand.

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL