Thaksin's Sister Accused Of Kickbacks

george

PM's sister accused of kickbacks

Opposition MP releases video recording

BANGKOK: -- A senior opposition MP yesterday released a video recording of an executive from a construction and furniture company who claims to have paid kickbacks to the prime minister's sister in order to secure a parking service contract for New Bangkok International Airport.

Democrat party deputy leader Alongkorn Ponlabutr yesterday played a VCD recording of a person claiming to be Nittinun Keskosin, managing director of Rush Fur Thai Co Ltd, who talks about how his company was promised the contract if he paid 25 million baht to Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's sister Yaowaret.

``Mrs Yaowaret and a politician demanded 300 million baht in `commission' to secure a 25-year parking service contract for the new Suvarnabhumi airport.

``They promised future assistance for the company to win a furniture contract worth more than one billion baht,'' Mr Nittinun says.

Mr Nittinun said he had paid 25 million baht to the pair in two instalments _ five million in August 2003 and 20 million in September of the same year _ and had promised to pay the remaining 275 once his business won the contract.

However, the contract went to Ch Karnchang Plc.

Mr Nittinun sought the return of his money, but was turned down on several occasions before the two could no longer be contacted, he claims.

Mr Alongkorn claimed on Friday that he had a copy of a payment contract which was allegedly signed by both sides.

``I was surprised that anyone would dare engage in such an agreement.

``This was a flagrant act indeed,'' he said.

Speaking at the party's head office, Mr Alongkorn said he had a copy of a complaint over the matter sent to Mr Thaksin's complaint box, which he had got from an official at Government House.

Mr Alongkorn, however, questioned the legitimacy of Rush Fur Thai, saying it had been established in 2003 for the sole purpose of bidding for the car park contact, and had no previous experience.

Mr Nittinun could not be contacted as the number quoted in the complaint referred to a different company.

Meanwhile, Mrs Yaowaret insists that she was not involved in any ``ridiculous deal'', especially since she did not oversee any part of the construction at the new airport.

Somchai Sawasdeepon, senior executive vice-president of Airports of Thailand Plc (AOT) _ the firm in charge of the project _ says he has never heard of the company, adding that Ch Karnchang has already finished the construction.

Deputy Prime Minister Visanu Krue-ngam has reportedly said the government need not investigate every corruption allegation and that Mr Nittinun himself should come out to make the request publicly.

``What more proof do you need? He [Mr Nittinun] has named names, there is also a tangible contract, isn't this enough to get the government started?'' Mr Alongkorn said.

The Democrat party would set up a panel next week to further its investigation, he said.

--Bangkok Post 2005-07-17

Why am I not surprised. Why am I not surprised that the PM started his fortune in the Police Department. Why am I not surpirrised that the PM's wife "won" the "open" bidding by offering 80 million baht for a piece of BKK property the government bought two years earlier for 2 Billion. Why am I not surprised that the FTA with Australia has as its main advantage to Thailand telecommunications access to Australia. Why am I not surprised that the PM's son was given 25% of the contract for subway advertising AFTER a binding contract with another entity was "renegotiated".

In fairness, I am reminded of LBJ, who became rich while on the government dole for most of his life, "licenses" granted to his family for radio stations. Yasser Arafat's swiss bank accounts. I am deliberately leaving out tyrants.

Why am I not surprised.  Why am I not surprised that the PM started his fortune in the Police Department.  Why am I not surpirrised that the PM's wife "won" the "open" bidding by offering 80 million baht for a piece of BKK property the government bought two years earlier for 2 Billion.  Why am I not surprised that the FTA with Australia has as its main advantage to Thailand telecommunications access to Australia. Why am I not surprised that the PM's son was given 25% of the contract for subway advertising AFTER  a binding contract with another entity was "renegotiated".

In fairness, I am reminded of LBJ, who became rich while on the government dole for most of his life, "licenses" granted to his family for radio stations.  Yasser Arafat's swiss bank accounts.  I am deliberately leaving out tyrants.

:D Its good to see the farangs are aware of the goings on. :D

The way this family conducts itself is appauling, Im not sure why but the name Marcos comes to mind. :o

It beats workin' Torny  :D

It must be great to be able to ammend laws to suit yourself - oh I wish! :D

Since the "sister" purchased 800,000,000 mil Bahts of land over the 80 meter height restriction, in Patong - what do you think of the chances that the "height law" will change in the next couple of years? :D

Thai politics - corrupt one day, manipulative every day :o

his wife is the new imelda :o

another one of their schemes :D

Thaksin's wife owns new party headquarters

The prime minister's wife Khunying Potjaman Shinawatra has made sure that the building housing the new Thai Rak Thai party headquarters is registered in her name, meaning it will not go to charity should the ruling party be dissolved.

yeah right :D

his wife is the new imelda :o

another one of their schemes :D

Thaksin's wife owns new party headquarters

The prime minister's wife Khunying Potjaman Shinawatra has made sure that the building housing the new Thai Rak Thai party headquarters is registered in her name, meaning it will not go to charity should the ruling party be dissolved.

yeah right :D

Charity always begins at home :D

Just smile and remind yourself - This is Thailand.  :o

And what exactly is Thailand? So the PM's grandparents weren't born in this geographical region called Thailand, but mine were. Does that mean I'm more Thai than him?

Thailand is only what immigrants can make it for their future offspring/generations.

Everyone in power here has some traceable foreign roots.

TIT for sure but when ALL of the government steals from the people then you have problems. This country will NEVER get any better until it at least the Government themselves TRYS to get rid of the Corruption. This is the last of my political commnetary.

For at least awhile.

Edited by Kringle

And what exactly is Thailand? So the PM's grandparents weren't born in this geographical region called Thailand, but mine were. Does that mean I'm more Thai than him?

Thailand is only what immigrants can make it for their future offspring/generations.

:D Think you might have missed the point there GW :D

Who mentioned immigrants?

The discussion is about corruption, which is pretty much a part of Thai life and the social system, hence TIT (This is Thailand) :D

• 1 year later...

UPDATE

Thaksin's sister insists on chairing a university council without a degree

Yaowaret Shinawatra, younger sister of the deposed prime minister, is holding on to her post as chairman of Ubon Ratchathani Rajabhat University Council, even though her bachelor's degree from Sukhothai Thammathirat Open University has been revoked because of an allegedly forged vocational certificate. The STOU probably is top in Mr Thaksin's mind as the least favourite university for depriving his cronies of their chances of entering the political arena. Since the previous constitution stipulated (as will the new one) that only degree-holders may contest elections, all MP candidates flocked to the open university armed with vocational certificates in the hopes of earning university degrees. The certificate also meant a short cut because some vocational courses could be used as a waiver for degree course-work. It would thus take only two years to earn a degree. But just before the 2005 elections, the STOU revealed the results of an investigation that put an end to the political careers of many. The STOU found that Ms Yaowaret and many Thai Rak Thai politicians did not graduate from Thurakij Bundit Technical School in Nakhon Si Thammarat, as cited in their university applications. The degree fiasco forced many candidates from Thai Rak Thai and other parties to disgracefully drop out of the race. To date, the STOU has cancelled degrees it awarded to 1,400 people and sued 800, one of whom is Ms Yaowaret.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/17May2007_news97.php

Why am I not surprised. Why am I not surprised that the PM started his fortune in the Police Department. Why am I not surpirrised that the PM's wife "won" the "open" bidding by offering 80 million baht for a piece of BKK property the government bought two years earlier for 2 Billion. Why am I not surprised that the FTA with Australia has as its main advantage to Thailand telecommunications access to Australia. Why am I not surprised that the PM's son was given 25% of the contract for subway advertising AFTER a binding contract with another entity was "renegotiated".

In fairness, I am reminded of LBJ, who became rich while on the government dole for most of his life, "licenses" granted to his family for radio stations. Yasser Arafat's swiss bank accounts. I am deliberately leaving out tyrants.

Thaksin is not much differant from the rest, he just follows their lead that's all. You forgot to mention Margaret Thatchers son getting 6 mill. pounds in consultancy fees for the BAE Saudi contract in the late '80s. His consultancy company at the time was new and he had no relevent business experience. It is the same company and contract that Tony Blair recently shutdown the corruption investigation in as it "was not in the public interest" and the same company and contract that the Swiss announced on Tuesday that they are investigating some of their banks for alleged money laundering. With examples like this it is not surprising that up and coming, so called democratic, leaders from the third world consider it an acceptable practice which appears to be the case with Mr Thaksin and his family.

Interesting photo capture:

130.jpg

Bangkok, October 4, 2005

Thaksin's government and its affiliated business interests have recently filed criminal and civil defamation suits against a number of Thai editors and newspapers. In August, two government agencies sued the English-language daily the Bangkok Post for criminal defamation related to a story the paper ran about construction flaws at the new Bangkok international airport. The agencies have threatened to file an accompanying one billion baht (US$ 24.4 million) civil suit. Yaowaret Shinawatra, Thaksin's younger sister, in August filed criminal and civil lawsuits against the Thai-language daily Thai Post for a story on another construction contract at the airport.

October 9, 2005

Shin Corporation, a conglomerate controlled by the prime minister's family, filed a defamation suit seeking 400 million baht in damages against an executive of a media grouping, the editor of Thai Post Thai-language newspaper, and activist Supinya Klangnarong. Yaowaret Shinawatra, chairwoman of the National Women's Council and sister of the prime minister, also filed a similar suit against Alongkorn Polabutr, a Democrat MP and Thai Post newspaper, demanding 300 million baht in damages.

:D Think you might have missed the point there GW :D

Who mentioned immigrants?

The discussion is about corruption, which is pretty much a part of Thai life and the social system, hence TIT (This is Thailand) :D

Thailand, The Hub Of Immigrants.

• 1 year later...