Laos Border Run

I am going to be flying up to Udon in the next few days and I was told I can get a minibus from the airport to the Laos Border crossing. The questions I have are the following (so I hope someone can answer). I will arrive in Udon about 17:30 and its about 1 hour so I was told to get to the border. I check out, get a bus across the bridge, get a visa form, fill it in with a photo. Wait a while, get called up, receive my passport, go through get stamped, check in then walk back. Bus back to Thai side, check in there... then... If I want to get to Udon, without taking a rip off taxi, is it possible? Are there going to be any buses etc from about 8pm? Or would it be best if I just took a cheap tuktuk to Nong Khai to sleep for the night? I would prefer to stay in Udon for the evening, rather than Nong khai. So if anyone can shed some light on how to get back to Udon from about 8pm or so, could they share their knowledge. This will be my first Laos trip/stamp. Thank you TB

There are no more buses coming out from thailand friendship bridge to Udon after 8pm. The best you can do is that when u get into the Mini Van and you can tell the Mini Van to wait for you at the border again and you can pay him 200 baht for him to take you back to Udonthani, because they come from Udon instead of empty van back to their home. You need to negotiate with him first before you depart from Udon airport and ask him to wait for you about an hr on the other side (incoming Immigration side in Thailand). There are some tuk tuk can bring you back to Nongkhai if u want to sleep overnight in Nongkhai it cost about 60 to 80 baht.

I have a question too.. how far is the Thai embassy away from the border ? What is the best transport mean from border to the embassy and their operating hrs ?

TheBrit when are you leaving ?

Thai embassy is about 30-40 minutes drive from the border. You can get a new model minivan for 200 baht from the border to the embassy, they'll probably ask more than that but 200 baht is pretty normal.