Banking Fees For Atm Withdrawl

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As of last week I completed the set-up of my Scwab Brokerage account (not the IRA Rollover) with a link to the checking -- required two sets of trial depopsits and multiple telephone calls to Indiana service center... I was also able to initiate from SCHWAB (pull) a transfer from a Wells Fargo bank account and then transfer from brokerage to checking ... so I am now waiting on the ATM card to be sent from USA and will then see how things really work

The reason 2 sets of trial deposits were required is that the first transfer set-up defaulted to the IRA account and there was no way to specify otherwise... one cannot transfer from an IRA account to checking.

Thanks Jayfsie ...

Hey Jazzbo, I just opened a Schwab brokerage/checking account. My IRA is with another institution, so the online transfer set up was a bit easier, no IRA option to default to and muddy the waters. I pulled one test deposit from my bank to Schwab brokerage and pushed one from the same bank to my Schwab Checking. And... it worked :D!

"I read elsewhere on this forum that Aeon ATM withdrawals are fraught with danger"

Yes, there was a thread on ThaiVisa that made those claims, however I have been using three of the four AEON ATMs in Pattaya for well over a year and have never had a problem ( fingers crossed! :) )

JFChandler, who posts prolifically on ATM and banking issues is a seasoned veteran with AEON ATMs in Bangkok has reported the same.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it, but for very cautious people...there just might be that one first time -- of course, the sun might rise in the western sky tomorrow also, but I won't be watching for it . . .:D

About a week and 1/2 ago I tried to withdraw 9000 baht from my US bank account through an AEON ATM. It told me that I could not, so I withdrew 7000 baht instead. The next day I checked my US account & 9000 baht worth of $s had been withdrawn!:angry:

EXCELLENT NEWS!!!! Today, I had a chance to confirm precisely what ThaiHome has posted below...

Indeed, the Citibank ATMs located in the Interchange 21 Tower at the corner of Sukhumvit and Asoke roads, accessible by a new skybridge from the Asoke BTS station, DO NOT charge the 150 baht foreign card withdrawal fee. Let me repeat that.... DO NOT CHARGE THE 150 BAHT RIPOFF FEE!!!!!

Citibank appears to have made their Thailand headquarters in the Interchange 21 Tower, and their presence there includes a bank branch and a row of ATM and cash deposit machines.

I tested the ATM machines there for myself today, and did a comparison with the same routine U.S. bank VISA debit card a bit later at an AEON ATM. Then went home and checked online banking to confirm. No 150 baht withdrawal fee and the same exchange rate as the AEON ATM. And the rate was just about what I would have expected, 30.12 compared to a Friday Interbank Exchange Rate of 30.246.

In the Interchange 21 Tower, the Citibank ATMs are located on level B1. To access them, if you arrive via the BTS Skybridge, you come in on level UL, and then go down either the escalator or elevator a couple floors to level B1. The ATMs and Citibank branch are right there as you exit the elevator.

Perhaps, the fact that the Citi ATMs don't charge the 150 baht ATM fee makes some sense because Citibank is not part of the Thai Bankers Association, the Thai banks trade group that hatched the 150 baht scheme, just the same as AEON is not part of the TBA...

Among the other U.S. banks with a presence in Thailand, for example, there is Bank of America with their office on Wireless Road, but by all accounts, they have no retail banking presence there and no BofA ATMs. Chase is here as well, but I'm not sure about the nature of their presence and if they have any ATMs.

I'm wondering if any of the other U.S. bank offshoots or subsidiaries here might have ATMs that operate in similar fashion to Citi's???

post-53787-095046700 1286023712_thumb.jp

post-53787-032401200 1286023714_thumb.jp

With my USAA debit card all I pay is the Visa 1% fee for foreign currency withdrawal. Using the CITI ATM machines at Interchange 21 (Asok/Sukhumvit) there is no 150 baht fee.

This past month I withdrew some $2k through the month, paid twenty bucks in the FX fee and got a 5 dollar rebate from USAA.

Withdrew 8,000 baht yesterday at exchange rate, including the 1% fee, of 30.45.

This appear to about as good as it is going to get, short of opening the Schwab account

TH

I used Bangkok Bank ATM yesterday and withdrew 25k baht and received a rate of 30.26. Paid the 150 fee but was given a better exchange rate then a Citi ATM. I have done comparisons in the past with AEON as well and it sure looks to me that they just squeeze that extra 150 fee (or very close to it) by hitting you with a lower exchange rate to make up the difference. So to me, it is just a mind game about whether it is worth it to chase down an AEON or CITI ATM just to think that one is saving themselves that fee.

Jake, I've done those comparisons too in the past, and there normally isn't any difference between the rates of the different Thai banks ATM machines... The ATM rates for international transactions are set by the card networks (not the local banks unless they're doing dynamic currency conversion, which BKK Bank is not) ... and then any fees added on by the home country bank card that you're using.

To confirm that, I got exactly the same exchange rate yesterday using an AEON and Citi ATMs about one hour apart....

You might also double-check your exchange rate calculation, since here was BKK Bank's exchange rate from Friday for local withdrawals showing a buying TT rate of 30.06... The ATM rate used by the card networks usually is a little bit higher. The Interbank Exchange Rate (IER) for Friday was only 30.246...

post-53787-000924000 1286073123_thumb.jp

Edited by jfchandler

"sure looks to me that they just squeeze that extra 150 fee (or very close to it) by hitting you with a lower exchange rate to make up the difference"

Even if your hypothesis were valid-- If you pull 1000 Baht and pay a 150 Baht Atm fee, that's a 15% charge.

If you withdraw 20,000, the 150 Baht fee would be only .0075, or less that 1% of the withdrawal amount.

Clearly, in the first case, you would need to get a VERY EXTRAORDINARY exchange rate to nullify the 15% fee! .. :)

Jake, I've done those comparisons too in the past, and there normally isn't any difference between the rates of the different Thai banks ATM machines... The ATM rates for international transactions are set by the card networks (not the local banks unless they're doing dynamic currency conversion, which BKK Bank is not) ... and then any fees added on by the home country bank card that you're using.

To confirm that, I got exactly the same exchange rate yesterday using an AEON and Citi ATMs about one hour apart....

You might also double-check your exchange rate calculation, since here was BKK Bank's exchange rate from Friday for local withdrawals showing a buying TT rate of 30.06... The ATM rate used by the card networks usually is a little bit higher. The Interbank Exchange Rate (IER) for Friday was only 30.246...

post-53787-000924000 1286073123_thumb.jp

I admit I am ignorant on how on foreign exchange rates work for different bank's ATM's. You can read all over the Internet that Bank A gives a better ATM exchange rate than Bank B. I thought that, as a test, if we could make simultaneous ATM withdrawals (using the same ATM card) at different banks (TMB, Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn, AEON, etc.) the exchange rate would be the same. Am I right or wrong?

"sure looks to me that they just squeeze that extra 150 fee (or very close to it) by hitting you with a lower exchange rate to make up the difference"

Even if your hypothesis were valid-- If you pull 1000 Baht and pay a 150 Baht Atm fee, that's a 15% charge.

If you withdraw 20,000, the 150 Baht fee would be only .0075, or less that 1% of the withdrawal amount.

Clearly, in the first case, you would need to get a VERY EXTRAORDINARY exchange rate to nullify the 15% fee! .. :)

Exactly, I tried to explain the whole "rates, fees, spreads" thing in this post a couple of months ago. You really need to look at the "effective exchange rate" after all fees and percentages are taken. If you did the same withdrawal (amount) at the same time from 2 different ATMs you would be able to compare the effective rate, which is what matters to you. One way or another the bank needs to make some money to pay for the service, whichever bank it is.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/386886-exchange-rate-us-cash-vs-atm-vs-tt-on-28-july-10/page__pid__3782791#entry3782791

Posted 2010-07-30 01:04

Let me try to clarify so I do not use "banker speak"

A customer of UK Bank A whose debit card is tied to the VISA network goes to Thai Bank B and withdraws 20,000 THB from their ATM. Thai Bank B adds 150 THB to the total (which is now 20,150 THB) and debits the amount via the VISA network from UK Bank A at the prevailing rate for the day which for simplicity we will say is 50 THB = 1 GBP.

UK Bank A will debit 403 GPB (20,150/50) plus their charges. If we assume they charge 2% plus 2 GBP (I have no idea of the charges in the UK, I know HALIFAX did not used to apply charges in the other direction). So the total debit in GBP would be 403+8.06+2, giving 413.06. So the "effective" exchange rate to the customer is 20,000 (what they got in THB) / 413.06 = 48.42, less than the FX rate provided by VISA which is 50.

If a customer of UK Bank C went to the same Thai Bank B, did the same transaction, but UK Bank C did not levy charges, they would actually get an effective exchange rate of 49.63 (rounded) which is 20,000/403, but the actual FX rate used is still 50 for both banks. The difference in the effective exchange rate is due to charges which are set by each bank

In either case, Thai Bank B would get the same amount from UK Bank A and UK Bank B and this is based on the VISA FX rate in effect

I hope this makes sense. And I hope this helps. I rushed to do this as I am in a meeting listening. So please excuse any errors.

Good luck.

The exchange pull rates can be padded by the local institution. It is not set in stone by the clearing firm such as Visa or Cirrus/MC. I have done this comparison with Bangkok Bank and AEON using same time/date withdrawals from the same foriegn ATM card and the exchange rates given by each are not the same and the spread is quite noticable.

Even if you just pull 1000 baht from a Thai ATM and don't get hit with the local fee, you are still gonna get hit with another fee by the bank where you hold the ATM card from regardless of how much you withdrawal. Hardly any banks just let you use foriegn based ATMs anymore without dinging you for some kind of fee.

I used to do over-the-counter withdrawals until my home bank wised up recently and started charging a 3% fee for using this service whereas before, it was only $3 flat fee. So having to deal with using ATMs now for local cash.

Jake, many U.S. banks do charge their own additional fees for foreign withdrawals and purchases, either a flat amount or adding on a percentage to the VISA and MC network's 1% amount, resulting in 2 or 3% total foreign currency fees.

However, for anyone who looks, there are plenty of no fee U.S. cards available, including Charles Schwab, Capital One and others. And when I say no fee, to be clear, I mean they don't add on their own fees and they don't pass along the card networks fee either.

I too have done the same card, different ATMs comparison many times... And they always come out the same exchange rate no matter what ATM is used, so long as I'm using the same U.S. card at each.

With, the only exception being a couple of Thai banks that do dynamic currency conversion for their ATM transactions on certain cards, such as Bank of Ayudhya for U.S. and Euro accounts and MC logo cards.

Determining your real exchange rate is not exactly rocket science. It's simply taking the amount of baht you withdrew and dividing it by the cost in dollars debited to your account. And then deduct any extra, separately charged bank fees added on at the Thai or U.S. ends...

Even if you just pull 1000 baht from a Thai ATM and don't get hit with the local fee, you are still gonna get hit with another fee by the bank where you hold the ATM card from regardless of how much you withdrawal. Hardly any banks just let you use foriegn based ATMs anymore without dinging you for some kind of fee.

Jake, many U.S. banks do charge their own additional fees for foreign withdrawals and purchases, either a flat amount or adding on a percentage to the VISA and MC network's 1% amount, resulting in 2 or 3% total foreign currency fees.

However, for anyone who looks, there are plenty of no fee U.S. cards available, including Charles Schwab, Capital One and others. And when I say no fee, to be clear, I mean they don't add on their own fees and they don't pass along the card networks fee either.

I too have done the same card, different ATMs comparison many times... And they always come out the same exchange rate no matter what ATM is used, so long as I'm using the same U.S. card at each.

With, the only exception being a couple of Thai banks that do dynamic currency conversion for their ATM transactions on certain cards, such as Bank of Ayudhya for U.S. and Euro accounts and MC logo cards.

Determining your real exchange rate is not exactly rocket science. It's simply taking the amount of baht you withdrew and dividing it by the cost in dollars debited to your account. And then deduct any extra, separately charged bank fees added on at the Thai or U.S. ends...

Your and ianguygil's comments in the embedded link are in-step. The network provider (Cirrus, Plus, Interlink, Star, etc) set the exchange rate. khunjake (and he is not alone) cloud the issue by introducing fees (at either end of the transaction) and then we have an "effective exchange" rate. My ATM card (no VISA or MC logo) is part of the Plus system. So Plus sets the exchange rate. For example, this link:

http://bankexchangerates.daytodaydata.net/default.aspx

shows the various exchange rates charged by various Thai banks. I used GBP to THB and TT currency type. There is a spread of rates, they are all close, but they are different. The note on the website says use the TT currency type for the ATM rate. I have heard of this before but that is misleading. You never get the TT rate, very close but never exact. This should only be used as a point of reference and again the network system sets the ATM rate. I think I understand or do I(?).

I dashed this prior post below off as I was running out the door... And so I should have been more clear in what I said...

What anyone really should be interested in is their NET exchange rate, as in, how much dollars did it cost you in total, for the amount of baht you received in your pocket. And what's the corresponding rate for those two figures.

So on the top side of the equation, you'd be using the amount of baht you received into your pocket... say 1000 baht, but not add in/use the 150 baht ATM fee, if you paid it, because you're not receiving those funds...

And then, on the bottom side of the equation, you're using the total of any/all charges debited to your U.S. bank account for that transaction, including the withdrawal amount debit and any additional fees added together.

Start with the amount of baht you received into your pocket, divide that by the total of all charges debited to your home back account for that transaction, and you'll end up with your NET exchange rate.

For me, it's usually simple, because 99% of the time, I'm using an ATM that charges no withdrawal fee, and a home bank ATM card that charges no foreign currency fee and doesn't pass along the card networks' 1% fee. So it's just dividing two simple straight numbers.

But for many other folks who do pay the 150 baht ATM withdrawal fee and may also have added charges tacked on by their home bank, it can be a bit more complicated. But really, there aren't any secret charges here.

No matter how they are calculated or where they come from, any charge is ultimately going to show up in dollars as a debit or debits to your account. It's the total charge(s) that you'd use, regardless of whether your home bank rolls them all together into a single amount, or breaks them out into different amounts (original withdrawal, 1% fee, bank fee, etc).

When I did a recent ATM withdrawal, I pocketed 1,000 baht and was only charged the same 1,000 baht by the ATM (no 150 baht withdrawal fee). Then in my U.S. bank, I had a single debit for that transaction that totaled $33.19. So I divided 1,000 (baht) by 33.19 ($) to get the exchange rate of 30.129...

If I had been using a Thai bank ATM machine that charged the 150 baht fee, I still would have used the same 1,000 baht amount as the amount I received to do the division (not the 1,150 amount), and then I would have divided it by the larger amount charged to my U.S. bank, probably something around $38 (the $33.19 withdrawal plus the $5 or so ATM fee).... And so my NET exchange rate including the ATM fee would have been about 26.3... Not so good....

Determining your real exchange rate is not exactly rocket science. It's simply taking the amount of baht you withdrew and dividing it by the cost in dollars debited to your account.

Here, by the way, is a web site that allows you to compare the daily buying TT rates of the different Thai banks all together in one place... For in branch or counter or booth transactions, there definitely is some difference among the different banks, usually in the range of up to 1/2 percent variation, according to their charts.

I'll post below examples of their charts from last Friday (Oct. 1), and then Friday a week ago (Sept. 24). As you can see, Bangkok Bank isn't exactly at the top of the list in terms of favorable exchange rates, though again, the differences are relatively small. The banks listed at the top of each chart are showing the better rates...

September 24, 2010

post-53787-089444700 1286084254_thumb.jp

October 1, 2010

post-53787-039148300 1286084256_thumb.jp

Bob, I do think that web site is misleading when it says to use the buying TT rate for ATM rates...

There may be, and probably is, some general correlation between the two... But in my experience, they are not the same. Whenever I do the comparisons using a no-fee U.S. ATM card, I invariably get a slightly better NET exchange rate on ATM transactions than Thai banks' buying TT rates for that day... And I've posted the exact details and comparisons of those many times here on ThaiVisa.

On the other hand, if you go to one of the bank currency exchange booths or the bank counters and want to do foreign exchange, then, in those instances, I believe they do use their own bank's buying TT rate for the day, and there will be some variation from bank to bank. But I've never seen that same variation among different ATMs.

Of course, the small exchange rate advantage of using ATMs over bank counters' and exchange booths' buying TT rate quickly disappears and more if someone is also paying a 150 baht ATM fee, which is a good reason to stay away from the Thai bank ATMs that charge it if possible, or unless your home bank happens to reimburse for foreign ATM fees.

Then, lastly, if your home bank is one that charges the 1% or 2% or more foreign currency fee (apart from the Thai ATM 150 baht fee), the home bank fee is going to be charged against your account regardless of whether you're doing an ATM withdrawal or a bank counter/booth exchange. There shouldn't be any variation there regarding ATM vs. bank counter/booth.

The note on the website says use the TT currency type for the ATM rate. I have heard of this before but that is misleading. You never get the TT rate, very close but never exact. This should only be used as a point of reference and again the network system sets the ATM rate. I think I understand or do I(?).

Just further proof that the comment below about AEON ATM exchange rates clearly is not correct...

Did two separate ATM withdrawals on Monday 10/4 from AEON ATMs in BKK using two different U.S. bank VISA debit cards....

Both cards charge no foreign currency fees and absorb the card networks' 1% fee... Two transactions just moments apart.

Both card transactions produced exactly the same final exchange rate: 30.133

The Bank of Thailand average Interbank Exchange Rate for 10/4: 30.163

And BKK Bank's buying TT rate for 10/4: 30.03

Clearly, the AEON ATMs deliver the card networks rate, the same as most other ATMs, except for those that do DCC, Dynamic Currency Conversion.

The real potential difference in your final net exchange rate is going to be the particular ATM card (home bank) you're using, and to what extent your home bank is taking their cut.

AEON ATMs avoid the Thai banks 150 baht foreign card withdrawal fee. The rest depends on what home bank/card you're using.

PS - As a reminder, the Citibank ATMs in the Exchange 21 Tower at Sukhumvit and Asoke Roads (connected by Skywalk to the Asoke BTS station) also DO NOT charge the 150 baht ATM fee. So those are just as good to use as AEONs, if the location is convenient for Bangkok folks.

I have done comparisons in the past with AEON as well and it sure looks to me that they just squeeze that extra 150 fee (or very close to it) by hitting you with a lower exchange rate to make up the difference

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if Standard Chartered Bank's ATMs are charging the 150 THB fee?

EXCELLENT NEWS!!!! Today, I had a chance to confirm precisely what ThaiHome has posted below...

Indeed, the Citibank ATMs located in the Interchange 21 Tower at the corner of Sukhumvit and Asoke roads, accessible by a new skybridge from the Asoke BTS station, DO NOT charge the 150 baht foreign card withdrawal fee. Let me repeat that.... DO NOT CHARGE THE 150 BAHT RIPOFF FEE!!!!!

Citibank appears to have made their Thailand headquarters in the Interchange 21 Tower, and their presence there includes a bank branch and a row of ATM and cash deposit machines.

I tested the ATM machines there for myself today, and did a comparison with the same routine U.S. bank VISA debit card a bit later at an AEON ATM. Then went home and checked online banking to confirm. No 150 baht withdrawal fee and the same exchange rate as the AEON ATM. And the rate was just about what I would have expected, 30.12 compared to a Friday Interbank Exchange Rate of 30.246.

In the Interchange 21 Tower, the Citibank ATMs are located on level B1. To access them, if you arrive via the BTS Skybridge, you come in on level UL, and then go down either the escalator or elevator a couple floors to level B1. The ATMs and Citibank branch are right there as you exit the elevator.

Perhaps, the fact that the Citi ATMs don't charge the 150 baht ATM fee makes some sense because Citibank is not part of the Thai Bankers Association, the Thai banks trade group that hatched the 150 baht scheme, just the same as AEON is not part of the TBA...

Among the other U.S. banks with a presence in Thailand, for example, there is Bank of America with their office on Wireless Road, but by all accounts, they have no retail banking presence there and no BofA ATMs. Chase is here as well, but I'm not sure about the nature of their presence and if they have any ATMs.

I'm wondering if any of the other U.S. bank offshoots or subsidiaries here might have ATMs that operate in similar fashion to Citi's???

post-53787-095046700 1286023712_thumb.jp

post-53787-032401200 1286023714_thumb.jp

With my USAA debit card all I pay is the Visa 1% fee for foreign currency withdrawal. Using the CITI ATM machines at Interchange 21 (Asok/Sukhumvit) there is no 150 baht fee.

This past month I withdrew some $2k through the month, paid twenty bucks in the FX fee and got a 5 dollar rebate from USAA.

Withdrew 8,000 baht yesterday at exchange rate, including the 1% fee, of 30.45.

This appear to about as good as it is going to get, short of opening the Schwab account

TH

• 2 weeks later...

I believe Standard Chartered ATMs do charge the 150 baht ATM fee... since they are a member of the Thai Bankers Assn. group that launched the fee....

http://www.tba.or.th/tbamembers.htm

AEON ATMs do not, and Citibank ATMs at their head office at Asoke and Sukhumvit Rd in the Interchange Tower do not.

The fee is not related to the membership of the Thai Banker's Assn. The TBA allowed the right to charge - and then its up to individual entities if they choose to implement fees or not. Citibank has too few ATM's to worry about. AEON? - it may pay to consider who their owners are and which tourists come to Thailand...

Aurelius, I'm not sure about the point of your post... But I am sure about these facts...

Neither AEON not Citibank are members of the TBA.... AEON isn't a bank, but rather, a credit card company. And neither of them charge the 150 baht ATM fee.

As regards to TBA members, if one looks thru the list, they'll see that at least every commercial (consumer) type bank among the group IS charging the 150 baht ATM fee. I don't really care whether the TBA requires them to or not. But the fact is, they all do, and the fee was originally instituted by the TBA as a group.

Lastly, I'm not sure what the corporate ownership of AEON (a Japanese credit card company) has to do with ATM fees in Thailand. The exchange rates at AEON ATMs are the network rates provided by the VISA and MC card networks that handle international currency transactions when using bank cards with their logos.

Citibank, despite its presence in Thailand, is not a Thai bank but rather a foreign bank and thus limited to its single branch operation/location in Bangkok, similar to HSBC, under Thai banking regs... So that presumably account for the reason that Citi's ATMs there in BKK don't charge the fee.

I believe Standard Chartered ATMs do charge the 150 baht ATM fee... since they are a member of the Thai Bankers Assn. group that launched the fee....

http://www.tba.or.th/tbamembers.htm

AEON ATMs do not, and Citibank ATMs at their head office at Asoke and Sukhumvit Rd in the Interchange Tower do not.

The fee is not related to the membership of the Thai Banker's Assn. The TBA allowed the right to charge - and then its up to individual entities if they choose to implement fees or not. Citibank has too few ATM's to worry about. AEON? - it may pay to consider who their owners are and which tourists come to Thailand...

Edited by jfchandler

• 4 weeks later...

I set up a moneylink between my Schwab money market account and my Bangkok Bank (Udon) savings account, using the NY Bangkok Bank for routing. I received an email from Schwab saying that two test deposits were made, and when I checked my Bangkok Bank account, two deposits were made: one for 20.95 baht and the second for 5.39 baht. The final step in setting up a moneylink is to call Schwab and confirm the deposit amounts. I need to know the dollar amount for those two transfers. As close as I can figure (30.1 baht to the dollar as a guess), the first deposit was $.70 and the second was $.18, but I don't know if BBK NY added any fees or, for that matter, what the exact exchange rate was on the date of transfer (8 Dec). Can anyone tell me how to figure out exactly how much Schwab sent to NY?

• 4 months later...

Probably it needs the management of AEON to answer that question. However, if you consider that AEON is primarily a Japanese company, and the greatest number of expats and probably tourists in Thailand are the Japanese, there may be some logic why they haven't implemented the charges. If your "brand promise" in Japan in international convenience and you control your distribution in Thailand, then, taking a "group" point of view, why would you charge. Makes sense.