Dvd With Usb & Mp4 (Avi) Capability

Drew Aitch

DVD with USB & MP4 (AVI) Capability

Hi folks.

I've was informed by one of our treasured members here a while back that the DVD players with USB port & MP4 (AVI) capability have really come down in price now.

I have a nice DVD player, and it's as good as new, which is why I've been reluctant to change it. But the problem is that it doesn't have the ability to play avi files. I have a bunch of AVI stuff on my computer that I much sooner watch on the big screen TV than the notebook.

So if anyone knows of the nearest place to me (I'm at the Doi Suthep end of Chiang Mai (Canal Road)), where these can be picked up and for what cost, please do tell as I'm all ears (or should that be eyes!). Anyway, you know what I mean ;)

Cheers

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch

Thanks for that garyh ;)

I don't really want one of those media player devices though because i like to kick back in the lounge and watch stuff on big TV.

The notebook is on for over 12 hours daily, so I'd also like to give it a rest and not have to look at the bloody thing when the time comes to switch if off. This is why I'm considering one of the new-fangled DVD players I mentioned above. A DVD player is constantly connected, neatly stored, and comes into play with a simple click of the remote :)

But thanks for your suggestions, they are appreciated ;-)

Aitch

Try Big C, Tesco, Carrefour or Makro to name but a few places. Should get one from about B600+

Another option, as mentioned would be to just connect your PC to your TV providing your TV has the option for the input. Most modern TV's do and some of the newer TV's have USB built in so you can just plug your flash drive straight into it.

Personally, I haven't used a DVD player for a long time. discs are played through the XBOX 360, computer files through the laptop/tv and I also have a personal media player that connects to the tv so I pretty much have no need for the DVD option.

Good luck and happy shopping!

Those cheaper model usb dvd players suffer a lot from stutter if the video bitrate is high, & also don't play all the different avi types out there on the www.  I have a wd tv media player - plays everything I plugged into it so far, including HD content.

"I don't really want one of those media player devices though because i like to kick back in the lounge and watch stuff on big TV"

I don't understand this comment.  The media player is smaller than a dvd player, & plugs into your tv set in the lounge.  You copy movies etc onto a usb stick & plug this into the media player.

Thanks for the info so far guys.

It looks like a trip out to Tesco then or one of the places along the Superhighway. I was just wondering if there were any local Thai shacks in nearby sois that might have stocked such items. Normally I'd just ride around and take my time looking, but as there's so much rain around at the moment, I'd rather just get to wherever i need to be and back again, before the heavens opened up.

The media player is smaller than a dvd player, & plugs into your tv set in the lounge. You copy movies etc onto a usb stick & plug this into the media player.

Thanks MESmith

When garyh mentioned media player devices, I thought that was referring to those tiny portable screens that you see in computer shops. Can you tell me a bit more about these media player devices that you mention? i.e. where to buy, rough cost, and restrictions (if any).

Thanks in advance

Aitch

As said, all the big stores sell these DVD players. If you are interested in buying one, copy some files onto a memory stick, try to choose some that represent the type of files you usually play, and take the stick to the shop. They are always pleased to demonstrate the players to you. That way you can try before you buy. Make sure that the player supports the larger memory stick sizes, some only play from 2Gb maximum.

I have a good quality one for playing DVD's and an "AJ" Thai brand for playing everything else; VCD, USB, MP3, etc. Only about 1000 THB - maybe less by now. I think I got mine at Central. Has never failed me in 2 years. No jitter, stutter, or whatever. Also plays the 100 THB DVD's sold in Thailand that my Philips won't play.

Can you tell me a bit more about these media player devices that you mention? i.e. where to buy, rough cost, and restrictions (if any).

I've seen the WD TV device for sale in Icon Plaza, don't know the price, mine came over from UK. There's a 5 page thread on playing usb movies on tv here

Edited by MESmith

Hi Forum

I went out when the skies cleared and the sun began to shine. I saw those cheapo DVD players that some spoke of. A couple had USB ports, others didn’t, and prices started as low as 650 Baht. Quite unbelievable when you think about it. Even if it packs up after a weeks use, It’ll still last longer than the bar fine at Bkk's Nana Plaza (from what I'm told!;)).

The sales-boy down there at Tesco Lotus didn’t inspire a lot of confidence though. I could tell that he wasn’t all that tuned into things, so I decided to take one that actually said on the label in English, MP3 Mpeg4, visible USB port, and a whole range of additional formats. I also read on another forum that the cheap jobs can at times be a bit jumpy. So the compromise was to go for a model double the price of the cheapest, and around 1,000 Baht less than the costlier ranges. Total cost, 1,350 Baht.

I’ve never heard of the brand before. It’s called AJ. Then again, i couldn't give a monkey's toss who made it, so long as it works! Just 2 minutes unplugging the old one and attaching the new, and I'm like a dog with 2 whatsits! Straight in with the avi files, and I'm at the movies for the night :)

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

Aitch

AJ are a decent enough Thai brand, I have a AJ just for the exact reason you wanted one for, Ive had it going on a year and never had a problem with it the USB port works fine. The only downside is the bright blue lights on it that can be annoying when watching a movie in bed with the lights off. So nothing major I start the movie then cover the front with a cloth.

AJ are a decent enough Thai brand, I have a AJ just for the exact reason you wanted one for, Ive had it going on a year and never had a problem with it the USB port works fine. The only downside is the bright blue lights on it that can be annoying when watching a movie in bed with the lights off. So nothing major I start the movie then cover the front with a cloth.

Exactly, and I also recommended the AJ above. A Thai guy I met 2 years back who was a sound guy said they (DJ's, etc.) really like the AJ brand because they are built to play anything - and do. The bright blue lights are a little annoying. Mine has been played to death and still works as good as the day I bought it more than 2 years ago.