I Am In Chiang Mai

Spankybob

Doi Suthep mountain is on the west and the Ping River is on the east. Tai Pae gate is on the east side of the moat. If you go towards the Ping River from Tai Pae gate you will run into the night market. But, the road from the Ping River is one way towards Tai Pae gate. Loi Khro road where the beer bars are located is one way TOWARDS the Ping River and the bottom end of the night market.

I thought that this hotel was on the other side of Chiang Moi, from where the red dot is. Isn't this hotel across and north of Kasem store ?

Looks like you may be right. Appears they are using a Thai map. :D Google map indicates your info would be correct. Red arrow, hotel.

post-566-062458300 1284268787_thumb.jpg

Here we go people......

First, and most importantly.... let's make a distinction about 3 THINGS, all not being equal.CM has 4 markets worth perousing buy any tourist or local. The one possibly referred to as 'night market' is probably the tourist trap most of us avoid at all costs and only take our visiting guests to once - or let them go it alone. That's the Night Bazaar. It's on Chang Klan Rd, and as Ian F mentioned, you can either head up Tha Pae from Tha Pae Gate towards the river, on foot, against traffic, and turn right at the intersection with the crossing light, and the big bank on your right as you turn. That puts you at the very beginning of the Night Bazaar. It's about a 5 min walk from the gate. You could also walk from outside the moat to the girlie bar area, walk down Loi Kroh and you hit smack-dab center fo the NB right near a Star Bucks and McD's. That way's about 15-20 mins from Tha Pae by foot to reach the middle, plus some fun ppl watching as you head down LK Rd.

Then there's Warorot Market/ Kad Luang, the Great Market that all the Thais and tourists in the know go to for food stall grazing and seeing what the Thais are all up to. I love that place, though it's usually packed. There's also plenty of clothes shopping to be had, though the majority won't fit on RTD's frame!

Thirdly/ Fourthly (why I said three distinctions!), there are two Walking Streets, that are night markets, one held on Sat and the other on Sunday. Both are easy to spot. On Sat starting just pre-sunset you head south from CM Gate n there you are plopped onto Wuwalai following the crowd. Have fun. It's mellow and nice. THen there's it's big brother the Sun Walking Street which you can't miss if you are at Tha Pae Gate. Again, follow the crowd, this time into the city and onto any number of side streets. This one can get awfully crowded too. Claustrophobia is possible, but people watching is a side benefit.

btw,.... and man, that black map sucks.

• Like 1

Doi Suthep mountain is on the west and the Ping River is on the east. Tai Pae gate is on the east side of the moat. If you go towards the Ping River from Tai Pae gate you will run into the night market. But, the road from the Ping River is one way towards Tai Pae gate. Loi Khro road where the beer bars are located is one way TOWARDS the Ping River and the bottom end of the night market.

Since the OP arrived in CM last night he will not be able to follow the details outlined in your reply, thus the answer is

(as already stated elsewhere) get a tuk tuk, or a pinker.

BTW ... one is somewhat surprised that the chap could not make such a simple decision himself, nevertheless, now after forum advice, he will get there, and I hope he will enjoy the scenery.

That black map is really something else. It looks to be put out by " The Mittraphap" Hotel.

In 20 some years of living here, it is very rare to find a Thai that can comfortably and correctly use a map. It was just never a part of their life and education. They find things by the "whats it near" method.

But this one seems to be put out by the hotel itself and along with putting themselves in the wrong location there are misspellings using the English language.....

If only it wasn't such a face loss situation to get some proficient English speaking person to proof read. It would put the hotel in such a better light in the potential customers eyes.

Accepting that we all make mistakes, myself centainly inluded.

G

...and Sansai Sam..... I agree about the interesting market on Sat & Sun by PRC. Its different from all the rest as it is more in the line of what I would call a flea market..... Always some treasurethere that one can definitely not do without............ until you get home that is.

Edited by ThePunPun

Why do people post without reading what was written already?

Ain't that the truth ! Kids these days,.... no patience to read things thru a little bit.

And thanks for the remind about the PRC weekend flea market... been awhile since I took a day trip out there to walk around. Maybe even got a cpl extra baht to plunk down on something this time too !

The one behind Carrefour ? Never heard of it. Might have to check it out.

I don't know if the OP is still checking this thread or not, but it might be helpful to know that it is 1.8 km between each side of the moat. That gives anyone an idea just how far it is to walk.

For a bit of exercise, we routinely walk the perimeter of the moat and back to our home 2 km outside the moat. It takes up the morning but we stop for a nice breakfast in one of Chiang Mai's many restaurants. I'm just thankful that I don't have to do it in a wheelchair. Thailand is NOT a place for people with physical disabilities.