Sending A Tgf To Do Her M.Ed

BOOKEMDANO

Hello,

I have recently posted a thread on the Chiang Mai forum with a similar title; however, I think most readers there will be grossly unconcerned with this subject and more inclined to know where to pick up a jar of branston pickle instead.

Has anybody thought about, or even sent, their TGF back to university to further their education? She has spoken about pursuing an education degree at postgraduate level - having already gained a bachelors in mass communication from the fabled Rhumkangheng university - in order to teach elementary kids.

I just wondered if anybody here who's daily life revolves around education has ever actively encouraged this for their other half or even heard of friends or colleagues doing a similar thing as any input would be well received with regards to this matter...

There is no reason she would need to do a M ED. She could get a certificate from the university-it is only a one year program geared for teaching-the difference in price is about 1/8 I recall. The masters is actually in education admin. I wanted a M ED -teaching--but they only offer it with emphasis in school admin. so if she just wants to teach the certificate will be shorter, cheaper and get her working faster.

There is no reason she would need to do a M ED. She could get a certificate from the university-it is only a one year program geared for teaching-the difference in price is about 1/8 I recall. The masters is actually in education admin. I wanted a M ED -teaching--but they only offer it with emphasis in school admin. so if she just wants to teach the certificate will be shorter, cheaper and get her working faster.

Hi,

So just to reiterate here, a taught M.ed programme in Thailand gives emphasis, as you say, on administrative roles rather than a primary - and one would think necessary - thought on proper teaching methods, and the curriculum?

That's nuts...

Could you elaborate on this teaching certificate a little? We are based in Chiang Mai.

Thanks

Actually this may no longer be the case. This is supposedly the last class year that is allowed to take the one year program after finishing a BA to become a teacher. Starting next year, the requirement is to have a BA in Education. I work at a university and teach students in this program and have been told the rules have now changed.

T

Why not provide her the rare opportunity to excel in what she wishes to better her own life and the life of those around her in the future?

I gather you won't mind providing her financial support and otherwise.

Give her a chance to find out not only in teaching but also allow her to explore, she might have superior quality to become a master teacher and leader down the road.

But also for yourself, be prepared that as she progresses, her interests might change and you, the sole provider and exclusive beneficiary, might have to take the second row seat.

Are you prepared for that possible transition? Or are you going to raise h... with her for betraying your most wonderful intentions and all? :blink:

Personally, I was fortunate enough in my life time to experience those circumstances thrice, so far. L O L.

The one I am providing assistance to right now will complete her herbal medicine within the next two years.

Be charitable to the end and you'll be blessed in more way than one, if your heart is in the right place, imho.

However, if your ultimate agenda is to require her to be by your side and serve you eventually, you both MIGHT end up miserable at the end, becoming bitter enemies than wonderful supportive friends. B)

Edited by mkawish

Actually this may no longer be the case. This is supposedly the last class year that is allowed to take the one year program after finishing a BA to become a teacher. Starting next year, the requirement is to have a BA in Education. I work at a university and teach students in this program and have been told the rules have now changed.

T

The current rules (since 2003) for being a teacher at OBEC schools are:

1. Hold a degree in Education or

2. Hold other degrees and a teaching license from abroad or

3. Hold other degrees and a graduate diploma in Education with 1 year course of study.

Item 3 is achieved when doing courses such as the (Thai) Graduate Diploma in the Teaching Profession. This course is provided by several universities and institutes in Bangkok. Google around for more information. Equivalents are the Graduate Diploma in Education (AUS) or the Post-Graduate Certificate in Education (UK) which seem to have fare better global recognition and appreciation.

I really doubt that the Teachers' Council of Thailand is going to cancel the accreditation of these kind of courses.

T

The current rules (since 2003) for being a teacher at OBEC schools are:

1. Hold a degree in Education or

2. Hold other degrees and a teaching license from abroad or

3. Hold other degrees and a graduate diploma in Education with 1 year course of study.

Item 3 is achieved when doing courses such as the (Thai) Graduate Diploma in the Teaching Profession. This course is provided by several universities and institutes in Bangkok. Google around for more information. Equivalents are the Graduate Diploma in Education (AUS) or the Post-Graduate Certificate in Education (UK) which seem to have fare better global recognition and appreciation.

I really doubt that the Teachers' Council of Thailand is going to cancel the accreditation of these kind of courses.

I am just repeating the conversation about this in the office. It was stated that people from non education majors would no longer be able to take the one year teacher course after this year. Whether it is true or not I don't know, but I would imagine the chairman of the education department should know if anyone would.

Also, this is the one year course in Thailand and has nothing to do with foreign degrees.

T

[Master of Education

• Geography
  • Education Measurement and Evaluation
  • Education Technology
  • Counselling Phychology
  • Curriculum and Instruction
  • Physical Education
  • Educational Administration
  • Higher Education
  • Organizational and Industrial Psychology
  • Nonformal Education
  • Developmental Psychology
  • English Teaching
  • Counselling Services

These are the topics that Ramkh. Univ offers for the M Ed. Unless she wants to teach English, P.E. or geography

they are specialized related to administrative functions-not actual teaching. They still list the one year post B.A. certificate course for teaching in Thai schools in their curriculum. I would contact the university and ask them about the certificate program since she attended the school.

I am just repeating the conversation about this in the office. It was stated that people from non education majors would no longer be able to take the one year teacher course after this year. Whether it is true or not I don't know, but I would imagine the chairman of the education department should know if anyone would.

Also, this is the one year course in Thailand and has nothing to do with foreign degrees.

T

Reading your reply, I'm glad you've found your job at that university.

Cheers,

A

• 2 weeks later...