Jobs For Farangs On Phuket

jkzero

so.. i finish my degree end of oct and dont really want to sit around and twiddle my thumbs while my partner trains and fights and trains and fights (did i mention thats about all he does). so what sorta options would i have? the only ones i can think of are english teaching or dive instructing - neither of which appeal. otherwise to start or buy a business which i lack capital for (3 years of study generally doesn't leave you cashed up) i know i'm not exactly popular around here, but does anyone have any other suggestions for me?!

There are jobs available in the hospitality trade for foreigners. Another option would be to do freelance writing for companies based in your home country (article writing, link building etc..), obviously via the internet. It doesn't take much know-how for basic writing opportunities, the money may be low in the west, but it can travel a long way out here in the east.

• Like 1

Scratch scratch.. Ohh you've won a prize...

does it take a degree to hand out scratch scratch?

sorry OP couldnt resist

teaching or scuba

since most scuba is among tourists, and the touristy areas such as Kata freaks you out, teaching is left. Kajon hires all the time, prefere blonds, but not sure they accept OZ english:)

If you have a skill that most Thai people do not have or that a company believes they need specifically then it is possible to work in almost any industry here in Phuket.

Working in bars is by the law not permitted here (unless you are the owner) but if you were a cocktail waitress/waiter you could probably get a work permit on the basis that you would be training Thai's skills and it is a skill that most Thai's do not have. Not only that but many big companies have contacts that make it fairly easy for them to get work permits for almost any position.

If you have a skill that most Thai people do not have or that a company believes they need specifically then it is possible to work in almost any industry here in Phuket.

Working in bars is by the law not permitted here (unless you are the owner) but if you were a cocktail waitress/waiter you could probably get a work permit on the basis that you would be training Thai's skills and it is a skill that most Thai's do not have. Not only that but many big companies have contacts that make it fairly easy for them to get work permits for almost any position.

Working in bars as DJ/musician/artist is legal for farang

Working in bars as DJ/musician/artist is legal for farang

Yeah true, another profession that is possible here, can imagine the work permit may be a little tricky though unless you work in the same bar/club every night.

lots of interesting input people.. looks like i'm never going to live down my comment about kata.

i will have a degree in social science, .. all use in thailand unless i want to do development work which i dont think i'll find in phuket.. maybe i'll check out further north next year to keep me occupied.. it's more about the doing something useful with my time than making money. the idea of looking after a bunch of children (or tourists) doesn't appeal at all and i'm lacking any musical talent.

maybe i should just take up muay thai n make a living fighting too.. hear it's 4-5k a fight, win or lose =)

lots of interesting input people.. looks like i'm never going to live down my comment about kata.

i will have a degree in social science, .. all use in thailand unless i want to do development work which i dont think i'll find in phuket.. maybe i'll check out further north next year to keep me occupied.. it's more about the doing something useful with my time than making money. the idea of looking after a bunch of children (or tourists) doesn't appeal at all and i'm lacking any musical talent.

maybe i should just take up muay thai n make a living fighting too.. hear it's 4-5k a fight, win or lose =)

I'm not 100% but I dont believe local stadium fights pay anywhere close to that.

There are various volunteer opportunities available if you just want to stay busy, Tourist Police, Gibbon Sanctuary and Soi Dogs Home to name a few.

peter- my info is coming from the horses mouth so to speak, what does impact things is if the gym takes a cut.

Phuket International Women’s Club - 1600b just to join, functions cost extra, dont see anyone under 40 in the pics.

doing some educational swaps with some of my local mates (eg. teaching them to email, them teaching me a bit of thai) but it may just be a case of spending many days playing with the hounds.. gibbons are too far away =)

Give it up here!

Use the degree you've worked hard for to get a proper job, proper pay, and proper career back in your home country.

Then, when you've made your way in the world, paid off your mortgage, got a wad in the bank, then come back / travel this wonderful planet.

Don't waste precious earning / working time in Phuket.

Thailand while charming, beautiful and somewhat modernized is still very much a 3rd world country with 3rd world country wages for most of its citizens and Farangs. There are of course some who buck the trend and make a mint but it's mostly through owning a business and exploiting the cheap labor which it does not seem you are in a position to do.

Give it up here!

Use the degree you've worked hard for to get a proper job, proper pay, and proper career back in your home country.

Then, when you've made your way in the world, paid off your mortgage, got a wad in the bank, then come back / travel this wonderful planet.

Don't waste precious earning / working time in Phuket.

Yeh cos having all that money is great fun when you're old, married, and got kids chewing your ankles! not to mention the dodgy back and the gammy knee.

Sorry, but I think that's atrocious advice. Here's somebody lucky enough to have some free time on their hands in a beautiful part of the world and you tell them to worry about a career.

I would say forget about work, it will only lead to grief one way or another, and it doesn't sound like you're desperate for cash, and instead take the opportunity to take up a new hobby, maybe photography, learn a new language, learn an instrument, anything that takes your fancy. You only truly learn to appreciate free time when it's too late and you haven't got any. Enjoy it while you can.

there's an organization called SHE in patong that gets sex workers out of their said profession and teaches them life enrichment/sustainable livelihood skills.

Teaches them WHAT ? ? ? ? ? ?!!

Now i've heard everything !

I have never heard of them but checked their website, maybe you should to before passing on sarcastic comments. There is a similar group in Bangkok.

http://www.shethailand.org

Thailand while charming, beautiful and somewhat modernized is still very much a 3rd world country with 3rd world country wages for most of its citizens and Farangs. There are of course some who buck the trend and make a mint but it's mostly through owning a business and exploiting the cheap labor which it does not seem you are in a position to do.

Thai average salary is 144.000 baht a year, and only 2,3 (of 64 million population) million people earn more than 20.000 baht/month, thus need to pay income tax

From the SHE site, quote of front page of one of the 'rescued' ladies: "I use believe in Buddha, but now I believe in God. He showed me his power and helped me change my life."

That really upsets me.. I'm sure SHE has it's heart in the right place an as organisation, but I'm concerned if their focus is about 'recruiting' people into their religion.

I have a very good thai friend who's a massuse who will teach any bar girl or most others who want to learn massage for free, so that they have options. There are also ladies who have had other professions that have chosen to be bar girls as it's 'easier' for them.

Get your self a computer and start learning about how to make money online whether it's writing an interesting blog about your time and travels ( you earn ad revenue from your blog), you market a product, or hone your writing skills and get paid per word to write articles. Ton's of this kind of work out there. Of course a work permit is needed, but it's known that there are a lot of people in LOS doing all kinds of internet work w/o a permit.

From the SHE site, quote of front page of one of the 'rescued' ladies: "I use believe in Buddha, but now I believe in God. He showed me his power and helped me change my life."

That really upsets me.. I'm sure SHE has it's heart in the right place an as organisation, but I'm concerned if their focus is about 'recruiting' people into their religion.

I have a very good thai friend who's a massuse who will teach any bar girl or most others who want to learn massage for free, so that they have options. There are also ladies who have had other professions that have chosen to be bar girls as it's 'easier' for them.

There are quiet a few bar girls with univirsity degrees. Starting a normal job after completing University usually pays 9-12k baht, in a bar they easily make +30k baht

you asked for options, so i gave them. i am not affiliated with the organization, so i do not know their religious viewpoints.