Maddog Bar And Restaurant

Blinky Bill

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stopped going to Mad Dog at the start of the 'low season'

Prices went up by 10% and the surliness of the staff was only exceeded by the surliness of the owner.

Not that this is anything unusual in 'ferang' establishments, at least Thai owners generally smile when you come in.

I do not go there for surliness I go there for the food and as for the increase of price it is understandable as so much has increased price wise do to the economy.

Yes, I agree with you sarah's bloke. Whilst the breakfast I had there was great value, the experience was soured considerably by the surly bar staff, so much so I would not go there again. I made a post about my experiences some months ago.

What was it you actually experienced, that soured your visit to the point you wouldn't go there again?

Whenever I go there, I sit down and someone gives me a menu.

I order breakfast and get asked it I want tea or coffee.

I read a newspaper, breakfast comes and I eat it - never had any reason not to yet.

I pay the bill and go.

I say very little to the staff nor they to me.......Can't say I really notice them most of the time.

They menu is a lot better now compared to before. i think Nick has put a great deal of work into it. Full pictures of the actual meal that gets served to the customers. Pizza seems a lot better now with a newer sauce. Some really nice additions of pictures as well to the establishment.

I do not go there to see the staff and hence don't really case as long as I get my beer arrived chilled and my food arrived hot :)

Edited by tigerbeer

In addition to the usual great English breakfast that MD's serves they have added a few decent other bits. Their BBQ pork sandwich was tasty and accompanied by a quite delicious potato salad. Thumbs up to Nick for providing the updates and the new pics as Blinky mentioned are a great addition.

Now if we can just get him to give us a change of music, haha.

They menu is a lot better now compared to before. i think Nick has put a great deal of work into it. Full pictures of the actual meal that gets served to the customers. Pizza seems a lot better now with a newer sauce. Some really nice additions of pictures as well to the establishment.

I do not go there to see the staff and hence don't really case as long as I get my beer arrived chilled and my food arrived hot :)

Some people would like the serving staff to arrive hot too, but seem to get them chilled. :huh:

Another nice addition to the Maddog is the photo gallery. Nick has found and framed many pictures of old Chiang Mai and Thailand and mounted them throughout the establishment. Well worth a look.

I have no financial interest in the Maddog apart from spending a fair bit of money there.

Whose money?

As there is no free water at MD I assume you go there as they must not have a "no riff raff" policy

BTW I agree it is nice to see Rose back. I have always liked her, Scott's loss, KH's gain!

I went to Mad Dog;s today around diner time. The restaurant & bar sort of reminded me of John's Place except that the clientele is older and the food is more British. I thought that the food was OK for Thailand but founnd I it a bit spooky that that there were so many old men sitting around the bar neither looking to the left nor to the right, and talking to no one.

• Like 1

I went to Mad Dog;s today around diner time. The restaurant & bar sort of reminded me of John's Place except that the clientele is older and the food is more British. I thought that the food was OK for Thailand but founnd I it a bit spooky that that there were so many old men sitting around the bar neither looking to the left nor to the right, and talking to no one.

Were they alive?

Were they alive?

I didn't put a mirror in front of anyone's mouth so I don't know for sure.I think that they were old & British but still breathing.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Were they alive?

I din;t put a mirror in front of anyone's mouth so I don't know for sure.

Bar owners have been know to put stuffed dummies in chairs to make the place look busy.

Hard to tell the difference a lot of the time. :rolleyes:

Were they alive?

I didn't put a mirror in front of anyone's mouth so I don't know for sure.I think that they were old & British but still breathing.

What leads you believe they were British, if they were in a state of stupor?

Out of interest, what time of day would that be? Diner time varies from midday till midnight depending on where in the UK you come from and what your upbringing was.

Appologies if you are not British and it is a standard in your country.

Iain

What leads you believe they were British, if they were in a state of stupor?

Because Brits can't talk to strangers until properly introduced, old boy!

Actually, it always seems to be full of Canadians when ive been in there. Just sitting there getting drunk and not talking to anyone. Blissfully i suspect

Edited by BossHogg

You took the words out of my mouth. I've walked by there several hundred times. It DOES appear to be grumpy old men. Rarely are there any female customers in there. It does look clean and neat, but does not look inviting to me. I am a regular at John's, and even John is pushing his luck with the latest price increases. Even with my VIP card; it is still a little high compared with other Thai places; Daret's (large LEO 50 THB), Dayli (3 for 140). I've been one of twenty people in John's and I have never seen the new place across the street with more customers, than employees.

I also visited that other Aussie Bar, sort of behind MDs. Beer not cold enough, and a worker's child or two running around coughing everywhere.

As for all the hype about the Breakfast, I would say if it actually has sausages, instead of sliced hot dogs, it is a step ahead of most other places.

I would recommend the 430 THB Cholesterol exam at McCormick Hospital.

You took the words out of my mouth. I've walked by there several hundred times. It DOES appear to be grumpy old men. Rarely are there any female customers in there. It does look clean and neat, but does not look inviting to me. I am a regular at John's, and even John is pushing his luck with the latest price increases. Even with my VIP card; it is still a little high compared with other Thai places; Daret's (large LEO 50 THB), Dayli (3 for 140). I've been one of twenty people in John's and I have never seen the new place across the street with more customers, than employees.

I also visited that other Aussie Bar, sort of behind MDs. Beer not cold enough, and a worker's child or two running around coughing everywhere.

As for all the hype about the Breakfast, I would say if it actually has sausages, instead of sliced hot dogs, it is a step ahead of most other places.

I would recommend the 430 THB Cholesterol exam at McCormick Hospital.

You are right, but compared to a lot of other bars Cozy is still a good deal and of course a much better deal with the 20% discount card. I much prefer sitting outside watching the world go by, rather than in some enclosed pub staring at the bottles on the shelf and at an inflated price. Some of these places a real bargain.

After reading about Mad Dogs I decided to go there for the first time this morning. I had an American breakfast that was really nice and a good price, the staff were pleasant and as I've said the food was good.

I moved to Chiang Mai 3 weeks ago and have come across some wonderful people of all Nationalities, this morning at 10.30 was the first time I was embarrassed to be British, there were 2 English guys in their mid 30 thirties who were sloshed out of their minds, shouting and swearing. Don't mind it to an extent on an evening but so early in the morning - Why is it tolerated? They were a disgrace.

I will definitely go there for my breakfast again, just hope it's a more peaceful environment.

Edited by pgthompson

After reading about Mad Dogs I decided to go there for the first time this morning. I had an American breakfast that was really nice and a good price, the staff were pleasant and as I've said the food was good.

I moved to Chiang Mai 3 weeks ago and have come across some wonderful people of all Nationalities, this morning at 10.30 was the first time I was embarrassed to be British, there were 2 English guys in their mid 30 thirties who were sloshed out of their minds, shouting and swearing. Don't mind it to an extent on an evening but so early in the morning - Why is it tolerated? They were a disgrace.

I will definitely go there for my breakfast again, just hope it's a more peaceful environment.

This has nothing to do with Maddog but I thought I'd mention it after reading Mr. Thompsons post re the 2 English drunks at the Maddog.

I flew business class to Jakarta from Bangkok yesterday on Thai Airways, departure time was just after 8 am. I was seated next to a guy about 40 from Scotland who now lives outside Jomtien. As soon as he sat down I noticed he was already quite inebriated, when the welcome aboard drinks came around he knocked down a glass of champagne and proceeded to have another 4 before the aircraft door was closed and we started to taxi for takeoff. Once airborne and as soon as the seatbelt sign went off, he pressed the button to call the cabin staff and demanded another glass of champagne, this happened another 4 times then after breakfast he demanded a can of Heineken, followed by another and yet another, the 3rd can he managed to spill all over himself and then demanded yet another glass of champagne, the whole time this was going he must have visited the toilet at least 10 times and was becoming louder and louder as the 3 hour flight progressed. He was continuing to babble nonsense after the 1st hour and even when I was drifting off he would nudge my leg to get my attention. After the 3rd time he did this I told him what I really thought of him and decided that the cabin staff had really best be told that they were completely out of order by continuing to give the clown more and more drink. They finally cut off his supply and I was given apologies by the Flight Purser as well as the other 2 cabin crew in business class.

I am still undecided as to whether I will make a formal complaint to TG, they tend to pay little attention to customer complaints from my experience. The cabin crew were totally wrong in supplying the drinks to an obviously inebriated person to the point where he was persistantly annoying a number of passengers and in particular, me. In another situation I would have dealt with this situation myself in an entirely different manner but these days it is very unwise to cause a confrontation on any flight. It's a pity the guy wasn't arrested after arrival in Jakarta as I noticed he was also being rather rude to the Immigration staff in the Arrivals Hall, they seemed to show extreme tolerance for some reason.

Edited by Blinky Bill

This has nothing to do with Maddog but I thought I'd mention it after reading Mr. Thompsons post re the 2 English drunks at the Maddog.

I flew business class to Jakarta from Bangkok yesterday on Thai Airways, departure time was just after 8 am. I was seated next to a guy about 40 from Scotland who now lives outside Jomtien. As soon as he sat down I noticed he was already quite inebriated, when the welcome aboard drinks came around he knocked down a glass of champagne and proceeded to have another 4 before the aircraft door was closed and we started to taxi for takeoff. Once airborne and as soon as the seatbelt sign went off, he pressed the button to call the cabin staff and demanded another glass of champagne, this happened another 4 times then after breakfast he demanded a can of Heineken, followed by another and yet another, the 3rd can he managed to spill all over himself and then demanded yet another glass of champagne, the whole time this was going he must have visited the toilet at least 10 times and was becoming louder and louder as the 3 hour flight progressed. He was continuing to babble nonsense after the 1st hour and even when I was drifting off he would nudge my leg to get my attention. After the 3rd time he did this I told him what I really thought of him and decided that the cabin staff had really best be told that they were completely out of order by continuing to give the clown more and more drink. They finally cut off his supply and I was given apologies by the Flight Purser as well as the other 2 cabin crew in business class.

I am still undecided as to whether I will make a formal complaint to TG, they tend to pay little attention to customer complaints from my experience. The cabin crew were totally wrong in supplying the drinks to an obviously inebriated person to the point where he was persistantly annoying a number of passengers and in particular, me. In another situation I would have dealt with this situation myself in an entirely different manner but these days it is very unwise to cause a confrontation on any flight. It's a pity the guy wasn't arrested after arrival in Jakarta as I noticed he was also being rather rude to the Immigration staff in the Arrivals Hall, they seemed to show extreme tolerance for some reason.

The best solution would be to ban the scottish from flying :redcard1:

The best solution would be to ban the scottish from flying :redcard1:

There are loud drunks from every country and culture, so by your logic, should we ban everyone from flying?

Blinky - how did he react when you gave him a piece of your mind?

Spanky's has small beer Lao, light and dark. 60 or 65 Baht.

I will put in a good word for Mad Dog.

I rarely go out to eat breakfast. OK, I never go out to eat breakfast. I mean, how hard is it to toast bread and turn on a kettle?:whistling:

But on one or three rare occasions I have found myself in the locale due to a doctor appt or some other sort of annoying early morning travail. So, I've gone to Mad Dog for a full monty English Breakfast a few times.

Yes, as UG noted, MD won in the last poll hands down. And it is not because of the loyal evening drinking crowd, or friends of Nick.

It is because it is the real deal. Wonderful potatoes, broiled tomato, mushrooms, baked beans...the egg I ordered scrambled and it seemed more like 3 than 2. I asked for my bread toasted one side- done. I asked for tea. The OJ was OK. It is a gut buster and the best value for money bar none. OK the sausage is sort of like sliced hot dog... order bacon. Done.

I rather like surly somewhat wise-cracking waitresses for my breakfast. Who wants some sweet syrupy twit saying; "Hi, my name is Brooke and I'll be your waitress" that early in the day?

I actually prefer some harridan who glowers and spits out; "You want coffee?".

It's too early in the morning for peace and loveliness and joy.

Go there. Try the Full English Breakfast. Order bacon, not sausage.

And don't expect a Wedgewood tea pot with a cozy.

There was a sprig of parsley on the plate though, I do recall....:lol: