Chiang Rai And Chiang Mai Folks

ginooooo

Retiring in Thailand next year and will be living about 2.5 hours from Chiangmai, and 1.5 hours from Chaingrai. There is a somewhat decent store in Phayao where I would be living and sometimes go visit that 1 main store on the left driving from the airport there to Phayao. Do not know name. Chiangmai, I know there is 1 big store but never have seen what I like as an American too much in any of the stores.

My question is: where is the best places to buy good beef, can goods, American brand names that are not snacks in those 2 cities.

Thank you for any responses.

Beef is no problem in Chiang Mai, now good is a question of what you want to spend. Rim Ping stores carry canned products from US, Europe, etc good cheese etc. They have meat counters which have local and imported meat. there is a good meat market on Canal Road where you can specify cut etc. Good feed lot beef. As far as a single stop for your needs, depends on how varied your needs, etc. You may have to go to 2 Rim Pings to get what you want and then a meat market.

In my estimation, Rimping markets carry the widest variety of imported goods, but their prices are much higher. Tesco isn't bad, but I don't buy beef so I don't know how it compares. I find a greater variety of imported vegetables in all Canadian markets than I do in Thailand, but Thailand suits my needs enough to keep me happy. .

There is no shortage of American food in the Rim Ping and Tops supermarkets in Chiang Mai. We know of some westerners who live a couple hours from here and come "into town" once or twice a month, to attend church services, see a movie, whatever and then do a big shopping at one of these supermarkets. I'd suggest you take a mini-vacation in Chiang Mai, check into a guest house or hotel and spend some time touring the local supermarkets.

As mentioned, beef here is expensive if you want good beef. I have yet to turn out a good meal with Thai beef and I'm a pretty good cook. Hubby says they must be selling khwai (water buffalo) labeled as beef. But, the pork here is wonderful and we eat much more pork than we did in the U.S.