Cat-6 Cable In Bkk?

autonomous_unit

Can anyone tell me the going rate for relatively short rolls of Cat-6 cable in BKK? Somewhere around 25 or 50 meters would do, or larger sizes if it is not too much more expensive than Cat-5.

Are there any particularly good places to buy it? Or just the usual Pantip prowling?

Why do you need cat6???

There is no hardware around at the moment utilizing the higher standards of cat6 cable.

Gigabit networks run just fine with cat5e cable at a lot lower price!

The only difference between cat5e and cat6 is that cat6 supports carrier frequencies of up to 250Mhz compared to the 100Mhz for cat5/cat5e.

Doesn't exist yet in the consumer market. Gigabit still runs at 100 Mhz...

OK, what's the local pricing/suppliers for Cat-5e then? :o I haven't done any of this at a practical level in many years, and was under the impression that gigabit over copper required Cat-6 for any reasonable length (beyond a few meters within a single rack, etc.)...

My goal is to wire something that may start with 100baseT but no doubt will be upgraded to 1000baseT, or whatever else becomes commoditized soon, long before I want to go replacing the cabling...

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,...i211752,00.html

when I was still working on networks, all the companies I worked for used cat 6. infrastructure is very important, you don't want to skimp on that. most of the consultants that I spoke with would always say quote, "don't skimp on the infrastructure".

with the way technology is nowadays, why skimp on the cable?

if you had to replace it later on, you may pay thru the nose if you are a big company.