Phuket Blackouts: Chalong Tomorrow, Rawai Friday

webfact

Phuket blackouts: Chalong tomorrow, Rawai Friday

As always, the PEA apologizes for any inconvenience.

PHUKET: The Provincial Electricity Authority (PEA) has announced scheduled blackouts in Chalong tomorrow and in Rawai on Friday, in order to continue its work on power lines in those areas.

The power outages will take place from 9am to 4pm on both days. The following areas will be affected:

September 16, Chalong: East side of Chao Fa West Road, from the PEA substation to Chalong Temple, including Soi Na Yai and parts of Luang Por Chaem Road.

September 17 & 30, Rawai: Wiset Road, from Saiyaun Road south to Nai Harn Beach. Affected areas include Soi Khok Yang, Soi Hua Pru, Soi Khok Makham and Soi Naya.

As always, the PEA apologizes for any inconvenience.

For more information contact the Operations and Maintenance Department of the Provincial Electricity Authority (Tel: 076-211663 x45311; Fax 076-219966).

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-09-15

I have to be careful how I say this because I really like it here, but why is it that where I come from. they manage to continuously upgrade service without ever shutting off a neighborhood's power for the entire day? Frankly, I don't think it's a huge technical achievement to manage to do that. Among the benefits of course, are that businesses are not disrupted, and refrigerators of food are not ruined. I guess the inescapable conclusion is that there is not much respect for consumers here, but at least since they are now starting to warn customers in advance, that shows some progress.

I have to be careful how I say this because I really like it here, but why is it that where I come from. they manage to continuously upgrade service without ever shutting off a neighborhood's power for the entire day? Frankly, I don't think it's a huge technical achievement to manage to do that. Among the benefits of course, are that businesses are not disrupted, and refrigerators of food are not ruined. I guess the inescapable conclusion is that there is not much respect for consumers here, but at least since they are now starting to warn customers in advance, that shows some progress.

I have to agree with some of what you say. But the power used to go out every time there was a storm, so at least they are upgrading the power grid. My voltage used to be a bit low 4 years ago too. But with all this stupid building going on they need more power otherwise we would have the same old system. But they could spend a more on the upgrade and put in a few more switches and just cut the power in the area they are working on, instead of the entire area!

Well, we have another one to look forward to on the 30th in my area. When will they ever finish the job? It is getting a bit annoying! Oh well, nothing one can do about it, except enjoy another day without internet and fans...

Surge protection was on all but the sat box (in the form of an expensive surge / trip not a 200 baht cheapie AND a UPS on the stereo and PC).. The sat boxes are all over the house so I just cant protect everything fully.

The amp and speakers is a bit different from only surges.. You get various pops and noises due to power brownouts, these brownouts are more likely to send a clipped waveform (DC) to the speakers and these ones are sensitive.. I have had them rebuilt a bunch of times !! Oddly cheap audio stuff seems far more resistant than the good gear to this kind of problem.

If tally the amount of electronics I have lost over the years here its pretty crazy.. 100's of 1000's in TV's, gate controllers, PC bits, audiophile speakers, etc etc.

I have always wondered is there no way to fit a whole house power conditioner / line stablizer.