Bumpy Country Roads

trompelemonde82

Does anyone know if there's a train service from Phitsanulok to Udon Thani? I just did it by bus - waited 2 and a half hours in the bus station then it wasn't even a VIP effort, - not ideal as it was a snails pace 7 hour journey and so bumpy it was nigh impossible to sleep, except for the Thais of course~they drifted off no problem so it seemed.

I have a new friend in Udon that I met on my visa run and would like to visit each other when we can, so life would be easier with a smoother and faster train ride rather than the above sort of mission. Any info welcome. Also, Phitsanulok to Rayong - is there a train service for that journey?

Cheers.

No train service from Phitsanulock to Udon. You would have to go to Bangkok then back up.

Phitsanulock to Rayong Close..........

http://www.railway.c...h/Time_HTML.asp

Sounds like you were on a 2nd class bus as I once did that route years ago on a 1st class and it took around 5 hrs from memory.

It would not be worth catching the train at all as others have advised BUT note that you would not have to go all the way to BKK. If you were going to take the train you would be better off to change at Ayutthaya as all Northern and NE trains pass through there. You would save 3-4 hours by not going all the way to BKK. However, the total journey time would be significantly more than a direct bus.

However, I recollect from my last trip to Chiang Mai this year for Songkran when I dropped a friend at the bus station that was an overnight VIP service from Chaing Mai to Ubon via Pi'lok. You should eb able to obtain details at the bus station.

No train to rayong yet (give it a few years) but plenty of comfy buses and vans do that route.

No train service from Phitsanulock to Udon. You would have to go to Bangkok then back up.

Phitsanulock to Rayong Close..........

http://www.railway.c...h/Time_HTML.asp

Sounds like you were on a 2nd class bus as I once did that route years ago on a 1st class and it took around 5 hrs from memory.

It would not be worth catching the train at all as others have advised BUT note that you would not have to go all the way to BKK. If you were going to take the train you would be better off to change at Ayutthaya as all Northern and NE trains pass through there. You would save 3-4 hours by not going all the way to BKK. However, the total journey time would be significantly more than a direct bus.

However, I recollect from my last trip to Chiang Mai this year for Songkran when I dropped a friend at the bus station that was an overnight VIP service from Chaing Mai to Ubon via Pi'lok. You should eb able to obtain details at the bus station.

No train to rayong yet (give it a few years) but plenty of comfy buses and vans do that route.

Thanks to all for the links and the bus info. The guy at the bus station told me it would be a 6 hour trip but apparently there's not a VIP service at night? He wasn't particularly helpful anyway so may just have been fobbing me off so I'd leave him in peace to chat with his buddies. Well, it seems the bus is the quickest route anyway so I'll see how it goes.

Cheers.