What Bike Is This?

thaigerd

Certainly does look like a KDX250R of a buddies I rode with, I'd guess it was a 92 - 94 model. Good power at around 40hp stock, pretty much same same as the RM250's I had around the same time.

If you don't mind the buzz of a 2 stroke, that'd be a wicked fun bike; get out there with it and shame some D-Trackers. :D

Don't know reliability of the KD series though, but have to wonder about parts compatibility with the KLX. How much?

Certainly does look like a KDX250R of a buddies I rode with, I'd guess it was a 92 - 94 model. Good power at around 40hp stock, pretty much same same as the RM250's I had around the same time.

If you don't mind the buzz of a 2 stroke, that'd be a wicked fun bike; get out there with it and shame some D-Trackers. :D

Don't know reliability of the KD series though, but have to wonder about parts compatibility with the KLX. How much?

He is asking for 40000Baht.

If the book is clean, and you realize what it is.. A noisy, high maintenance, 2 smoke ;) .. Its worth it.. May need to worry about the dirtbike headlight setup being passed into your name under phukets 'modified' restrictions..

Thats about the price they go for.. Not an ideal every day rider perhaps, good fun for blatting about.. Only big concern will be getting engine parts and 2 strokes tend to need them. My (unasked for) opinion is its not much of your style of bike.

I was actually looking for a 2 stroke a few months ago.. But have to get shot of some bikes rather than get some more.

I am thinking its not a KDX250 also.. The KDX250's I had seen all had an old school tank, more like an 80's DT etc.. And I think they were dual shock for most of the life cycle.. The early ones were 250 then they went to the 200s and 220.

I struggle to remember when that happened but I think the later models were all 200 and 220's.. The uppy downy (tech term) forks would at a blind guess, indicate its later too..

Will have a dig and see if I cant find a model year.

OK the frame shows its post 91.. When the 'perimeter frame' started (see the bend above the pegs).

The upside down forks only appeared on 2 models after after 91 in 95 they went back to conventional forks..

So that puts it in the 91 - 95 timeline, when (surprise to me) they did have a 250 model.

So it looks like hes sitting with a KXD250 vintage 1991 - 1994 model D1 - D4 as per the info at.

http://www.dirtrider.net/justkdx/

That is of course on the basis that the bike is original and hasnt been made from a bitsa..

Still it would be fun, the KDX where light, and I didn't look into the specs, but they had more relaxed front end keeping it a more relax trail bike. A full MX bike would be a bit twitcher set up as motard. The specs may even be the same, but the feel was different; the KDX had MX weight and power with something like a DR chassis handling. I had a much loved, heavy modded DR350 (not frackled, just lightened and tightened), that handled similar to the KDX.

There was a point there where everybody was buying the KDX200 (or 220?), which in the late 80's was a excellent woods bike and a reasonable step up from a mini bike or camp bike. Ya it's a 2 stroke but the grin factor is high; isn't the beauty of 2's the more frequent motor work where you can spend a few more bills and get more kick?

I don't feel this way too often, but I want that bike.

Is it an aluminum tank or just the metal tank buffed and sealed?

My brother was looking for a mini trailie..

Only fear is the state of the 2 stroke engine.. Being a watercooled it will lack the super simplicity of the old air cooled 2 stroke crossers, so you would hope it doesnt need quite as much tearing down. I remember various old 2 stroke crossers I had and pulling the head and barrel off was a every few weeks kinda experience. The kind of bikes where you always kept a spare piston and some ringsets !!

I dont think the KDX would be that way.. But it is a stroker.

My brother was looking for a mini trailie..

Only fear is the state of the 2 stroke engine.. Being a watercooled it will lack the super simplicity of the old air cooled 2 stroke crossers, so you would hope it doesnt need quite as much tearing down. I remember various old 2 stroke crossers I had and pulling the head and barrel off was a every few weeks kinda experience. The kind of bikes where you always kept a spare piston and some ringsets !!

I dont think the KDX would be that way.. But it is a stroker.

Probably not.. It was based on dirtbike and the 'offroad with lights' is more its market.. Think RMX250 / road legal etc..

Sit it at 100 plus on the highway for any length of time and I would guess that it would self destruct. Not that type of engine at all, all up and down screamer.

If it had dirt wheels it would be a great package for bush basher that you could ride on the road to find the trails, but not a bike to tour with.

Did they make a SM version as standard or are they conversions ??

Probably not.. It was based on dirtbike and the 'offroad with lights' is more its market.. Think RMX250 / road legal etc..

Sit it at 100 plus on the highway for any length of time and I would guess that it would self destruct. Not that type of engine at all, all up and down screamer.

If it had dirt wheels it would be a great package for bush basher that you could ride on the road to find the trails, but not a bike to tour with.

Did they make a SM version as standard or are they conversions ??

Properly rebuilt, cause it's when we did the engine work ourself we sometimes had that rebuild next week kinda of issues. Normally with our use we all seemed to manage with one engine job a year. And an average BC, Canada, ride often involved 20 to 100 km's of fast logging road travel where we kept our speeds around 100 until we hit the area we're exploring. Ear plugs required, yes four strokes are better suited for that kinda riding. And of course twenty years ago didn't mind an hour at those speeds on a MX BIKE. But earlier this week was headed to the bank with a stack of bills and if that bike was in the way I'd have a hard time passing it by.

Something like that is a play thing, all about riding like a hoodlum; throwing wheelies, jumping curbs and winning the stop light GP

Something like that is a play thing, all about riding like a hoodlum; throwing wheelies, jumping curbs and winning the stop light GP

Precisely why I sent Gerd a message that if he passes I would like a look :)

Sounds like hes into it tho, so look forward to seeing Gerd backwheeling it while splitting traffic round town.