Proton

kenny999

If you want decent resale value buy the Yaris

Yes re-sale value is Important if you intend on keeping the car for say 3 yrs, also the established makes Honda, Toyota, Mazda I think maybe give better service and good warrenties plus the Yartis is a nice looking car and comfortable.

when i was in the market last spring, mazda was offering much better incentives for the mazda 2 than proton was for the gen 2. i've also head nissan was offering ridiculous deals for that new line they've got--i can't remember the name.

when i visited their showroom, the guys at proton seemed bothered to help. they also required quite a lot in order to get the car off the lot: foreigners needed more down than normal and the thai guarantor needed to own a house on phuket. when asked for a bit of wiggle room, none was granted. mazda required much less and my wife was able to be listed as the guarantor even though she's registered in another province. honda seemed a good alternative but their incentives weren't as good as mazda's. i did not look into the yaris. it's a bit naff if you ask me. :unsure:

as the others have mentioned, resale value is an issue for proton.

good luck with your purchase.

Edited by SamKong

I agree with PC that the depreciation of the Proton will be significantly more that common brands here. Remember Thai's are very much like sheep and like to follow what everyone else does. I recently sold a Toyota Vios and had about 12 calls the first day all from Thais, i doubt i would have had that response from a proton, that said it doesn't mean its a bad car, its just different and not so desirable.

One thing to take into account also is the boot space of the Yaris is very restricted and i found the head clearance to be limited too, if you're 6' or above you're gonna be touching. The new Mazda 2 series seems to be very popular on the island indeed since its launch but i don't know too much about it. Personally i think the Honda Jazz wins hands down for the best car in this category and one which suits this island to a tee. Its spacious, easy to park, fuel economy is good great re-sale value etc etc but not so good if you want something a bit different i guess.

Get a honda jazz, good resell value, a LOT more comfortable than the proton inside and about the same horse power.

Mazda 2 = no comfort, cheap inside and 105 horse power

the only plus for the gen 2 is that it looks real nice from outside and the engine is acceptable for thailand.

have a look at the new Fiesta. brilliant

Proton in LOS are made in Malaysia, so quality is on par with those sold in the UK

Just looked at the Ford Fiesta on the web looks great and a 1.4. do you happen to know where the Ford showroom is?

ford in phuket is in phuket town, problem is. If you want the car you have to pre-order it and wait many months.

Also the fiesta has nothing on the Jazz price for price. Well besides it looks a lot better visually. There's a reason why everyone has a jazz. for 700 000baht u can't get a better deal for a small car with a decent engine. If you test drive the jazz you'll see.. even just the nice back support makes it all worth 700 000baht.

But as i said, i pay 100 000 baht more for my van, more space, tv, i can sleep in it if i want to travel around thailand (so can my passenger) and motorbikes/smaller cars respect you more on the road

I do not know about the Yaris but the Vios has plenty of Headroom for me and i am 190 cm.

4 years ago in Australia 8 Yaris were sold for every i Jazz.

In independant tests of the cars which covers everything from comfort , finish, runnig costs

resale value and crash testing Yaris got 4 out of 5 stars and Jazz 2 out of 5.

Things may have changed since then, when i bought the Vios i had to wait 10 days for delivery

Where i could have had a Jazz straight away.

ford in phuket is in phuket town, problem is. If you want the car you have to pre-order it and wait many months.

Also the fiesta has nothing on the Jazz price for price. Well besides it looks a lot better visually. There's a reason why everyone has a jazz. for 700 000baht u can't get a better deal for a small car with a decent engine. If you test drive the jazz you'll see.. even just the nice back support makes it all worth 700 000baht.

But as i said, i pay 100 000 baht more for my van, more space, tv, i can sleep in it if i want to travel around thailand (so can my passenger) and motorbikes/smaller cars respect you more on the road

Ford is close to Amphur office in Phuket town.

I am not a huge Ford fan, but I ordered myself a Fiesta 2 months ago. Top spec 699k hatch in white. Spec is above competition on every single thing, cc,hp, tourqe, milage, 6 speed dual clutch auto, voice control, ESP. Its replacing a Yaris, which is very low spec in comparison

Want to take delivery in November, but dealer called me last week to say its arrived. I didnt want it yet, but a few cars are obviously available right now.

Before we all kick Proton into Touch,it would be nice to hear from someone who has owned one, Enjoyed it ,and bought the same again.You will find Honda likes to take back a Jazz,but isnt to keen on a Yarris,just as Toyota favours their own..I use whatever car is blocking our parking area, ive found my favorite is the new Honda City ,with a manual box,it zooms away from the lights.

• Like 1

<br />
<br />ford in phuket is in phuket town, problem is. If you want the car you have to pre-order it and wait many months.<br /><br />Also the fiesta has nothing on the Jazz price for price. Well besides it looks a lot better visually. There's a reason why everyone has a jazz. for 700 000baht u can't get a better deal for a small car with a decent engine. If you test drive the jazz you'll see.. even just the nice back support makes it all worth 700 000baht.<br /><br />But as i said, i pay 100 000 baht more for my van, more space, tv, i can sleep in it if i want to travel around thailand (so can my passenger) and motorbikes/smaller cars respect you more on the road<br />
<br /><br />Ford is close to Amphur office in Phuket town.<br /><br />I am not a huge Ford fan, but I ordered myself a Fiesta 2 months ago. Top spec 699k hatch in white. Spec is above competition on every single thing, cc,hp, tourqe, milage, 6 speed dual clutch auto, voice control, ESP. Its replacing a Yaris, which is very low spec in comparison <br /><br />Want to take delivery in November, but dealer called me last week to say its arrived. I didnt want it yet, but a few cars are obviously available right now.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I will give it a test drive, i think the fiesta looks very nice and while i was in canada i saw a UK review of it, seemed awesome.

How many HP?

<br />
<br />ford in phuket is in phuket town, problem is. If you want the car you have to pre-order it and wait many months.<br /><br />Also the fiesta has nothing on the Jazz price for price. Well besides it looks a lot better visually. There's a reason why everyone has a jazz. for 700 000baht u can't get a better deal for a small car with a decent engine. If you test drive the jazz you'll see.. even just the nice back support makes it all worth 700 000baht.<br /><br />But as i said, i pay 100 000 baht more for my van, more space, tv, i can sleep in it if i want to travel around thailand (so can my passenger) and motorbikes/smaller cars respect you more on the road<br />
<br /><br />Ford is close to Amphur office in Phuket town.<br /><br />I am not a huge Ford fan, but I ordered myself a Fiesta 2 months ago. Top spec 699k hatch in white. Spec is above competition on every single thing, cc,hp, tourqe, milage, 6 speed dual clutch auto, voice control, ESP. Its replacing a Yaris, which is very low spec in comparison <br /><br />Want to take delivery in November, but dealer called me last week to say its arrived. I didnt want it yet, but a few cars are obviously available right now.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I will give it a test drive, i think the fiesta looks very nice and while i was in canada i saw a UK review of it, seemed awesome.

How many HP?

121 hp and the 6 speed dual clutch uses less fuel and delivers better performance than manual gear, US and Thai spec only.

Before we all kick Proton into Touch,it would be nice to hear from someone who has owned one, Enjoyed it ,and bought the same again.You will find Honda likes to take back a Jazz,but isnt to keen on a Yarris,just as Toyota favours their own..I use whatever car is blocking our parking area, ive found my favorite is the new Honda City ,with a manual box,it zooms away from the lights.

I've got one but I'm a weird case... I can't stand automatic cars and prefer two doors. Also wanted somthing with some go.. All the other manufacturers here only offer their 'top of the line' car (ie biggest engine, best interior) with an auto box.. If I could of had a 2.0L civic with leather and all the fruit WITH a manual box I would have got one. Honda's interiors and fit an finish is well ahead of Proton.

However I wanted something fun to drive.. Practicality and re-sale wasn't on my agenda. Anyhow I've had the Neo for over a year.. No probs so far. Two airbags, Leather interior, ABS and a VVT engine 125hp and great handling.. Horses for courses. Lots of interest from Thais so not all are sheep. For 650k I can't complain and I've done the Truck, Jeep, Fortuna thing already.. My missus has a Jazz which is much more practical but about as much fun as a dose of the clap.

post-39406-059638600 1284637342_thumb.jp

Edited by Pdaz

I've got one but I'm a weird case... I can't stand automatic cars and prefer two doors. Also wanted somthing with some go.. All the other manufacturers here only offer their 'top of the line' car (ie biggest engine, best interior) with an auto box.. If I could of had a 2.0L civic with leather and all the fruit WITH a manual box I would have got one. Honda's interiors and fit an finish is well ahead of Proton.

However I wanted something fun to drive.. Practicality and re-sale wasn't on my agenda. Anyhow I've had the Neo for over a year.. No probs so far. Two airbags, Leather interior, ABS and a VVT engine 125hp and great handling.. Horses for courses. Lots of interest from Thais so not all are sheep. For 650k I can't complain and I've done the Truck, Jeep, Fortuna thing already.. My missus has a Jazz which is much more practical but about as much fun as a dose of the clap.

post-39406-059638600 1284637342_thumb.jp

cool looking, like a crossing of Seat Ibiza and VW Scirocco

I hope you mean the old model Scirocco cos it looks bugger all like the new shape !! Thats an insult to the designers at VW...

There's a white Scirocco knocking round the island and its a beautiful looking motor....not cheap here i don't suppose...

I hope you mean the old model Scirocco cos it looks bugger all like the new shape !! Thats an insult to the designers at VW...

There's a white Scirocco knocking round the island and its a beautiful looking motor....not cheap here i don't suppose...

the 200hp is approx 2,5 mill baht, not bad for an import, can be chipped to 260 hp. I have driven a ABT 260 hp in BKK, luvely:)

there are at least 2 white and one medium grey in Phuket

exepct Seat Ibiza and Scirocco to have the same designers;)