Retirement Extension Of Non Imm O-When Should I Start?

I was just planning my first O visa extension on basis of retirement, and having 800,000B in my bank account , and thinking about when I should begin transferring money over to season. I have a multi entry O, expiring 22nd Dec 2010. Of course this means if I leave and re-enter on 22 Dec I have another 90 days stay, ie until around March 22nd 2011. Foolishly I was thinking that I could start my application for retirement extension about one month before this, Feb 2011.

It's just struck me that common sense makes it more likely I have to apply within 30 days of expiry the actual O VISA, not the permission to stay, because at that point I will be trying to extend an expired visa . Am I right?

If this actually is the case it doesn't give me much time to transfer money over, so it will be in my account for 3 months before application, which will now need to be early December. I have seen occasionally reported that for the first extension (which this will be for me) it only has to be in for two months. Is this correct?

Would appreciate advice on these two questions from the experts here.

Cheers

By most accounts, shouldn't be a problem to have the funds in place 2 months before the first application. You are extending your permission to stay, not your visa, so applying after the visa has expired is not a problem.

Edited by beechguy

You can apply for an extension of stay during the last 30 days of any permission to stay, it doesn't have to be the last one.

Always apply early. The extension will start from the date your current permission to stay ends, so you don't lose any days.

Yes, for the first extension the money only has to be there for 2 months.

OK!! That's a relief. Thanks for those two replies. It makes sense now--you are applying for an extension of the 90 day stay that was allowed on your last entry, NOT an extension of visa validity. And now I realise why people on retirement extensions must apply for re-entry permits if they leave: because they no longer have a current visa, ie permission to enter. It's quite logical actually, I'm beginning to semi-understand this now..!

Cheers