Thai Girlfriend Is Pregnant And I Want Baby Born In England

LT3

Just to stir things up a little...

I know it's a long time ago but in the late eighties a buddy of mine (Scottish born) and his wife (Thai born) decided to go live in England.

Anyone living in Pattaya then will know the guy as the manager of the Angus Steakhouse on second road.

His 4 year old son (born in Thailand) needed a passport.

Thailand refused him citizenship because the Thai law (at that time at least) was that the kid followed his fathers nationality.

Probably mostly aimed at surrounding countries women crossing into Thailand and asking for Thai nationality for the kid.

Britain refused him because he was born to a Thai national in Thailand.

After months of mucking about the kid was granted leave to enter Britain, one time only, and the right to apply for British citizenship (which he eventually did).

I guess thing may have changed in the intervening years but I would be tempted to check it out with the appropriate government authorities.

Kenny

I know it's a long time ago but in the late eighties a buddy of mine (Scottish born) and his wife (Thai born) decided to go live in England.

Anyone living in Pattaya then will know the guy as the manager of the Angus Steakhouse on second road.

Thailand refused him citizenship because the Thai law (at that time at least) was that the kid followed his fathers nationality.

Probably mostly aimed at surrounding countries women crossing into Thailand and asking for Thai nationality for the kid.

After months of mucking about the kid was granted leave to enter Britain, one time only, and the right to apply for British citizenship (which he eventually did).

I guess thing may have changed in the intervening years but I would be tempted to check it out with the appropriate government authorities.

Kenny

I guess they have changed. my three girls have both a Thai and a British passport. Easily obtained as I'm sure many others have. two born in UK, one born in Thailand.

Kenny

The "kid" can now apply for Thai nationality as well.

Its mostly been said, and with sensitivity and good advice. But to summarise:-

1. Love is NOT firstly, why most Thai girls marry farlang.

2. Love comes later ( For some of us)

3. Husbands provide security ie. money, for wives, her immediate family,extended family members, and often the local community.

4. Its expected that you will do this for a long time.

5. Babies are to Thais, insurance that you will stick around.(naive maybe, but true.)

6. Even with British nationality, immigration officials from many western countries, now seem to have an inflated view of their role, and can and do refuse perfectly legitimate applications. As this service is often now contracted out there are some scams about. Golden rule: DO NOT LOSE YOUR COOL with immigration officials from any country.

7. Having said all that, I wish you the very best with it all, but as others have said, talk to others, read widely, go carefully, and be really clear about everyones' extectations of you and yours of them.

6. Even with British nationality, immigration officials from many western countries, now seem to have an inflated view of their role, and can and do refuse perfectly legitimate applications. As this service is often now contracted out there are some scams about

The child will have British nationality and a British passport; so will not need a visa to visit or live in the UK.

The mother will need a visa, but as long as she shows in her application that all the requirements are met then it will be issued. Yes, sometimes mistakes are made and applications that should be accepted are refused (and vice versa!) but there are systems in place, such as the right of appeal against refusal of a settlement application, to correct this. Frustrating if one is refused erroneously and then has to appeal, I know; but unless one is perfect and has never made a mistake one has to accept that others can also make mistakes. Furthermore, if one looks at successful appeals one finds that in the majority of cases the appeal succeeded because the appellant provided extra evidence which was not available to the Entry Clearance Officer at the time of the initial refusal.

UK visa decisions are made by ECOs who are employed by the United Kingdom Border Agency; the UKBA is part of the Home Office. The service is not contracted out. The acceptance of applications is, but all the UK Visa Application Centre does is take the fee and the paperwork and forward same onto the embassy and then return passports etc. to the applicant when received back from the embassy.

There are unscrupulous visa agents in Bangkok who try to convince people that they are part of the UKVAC acting on behalf of the embassy. They are the scammers, not the ECOs at the embassy nor the staff at the UKVAC. It is important to remember that UKVAC will not offer any advice on an application nor ask for any money other than the published visa fee and some small charges for photo-copying etc. If any staff member at the UKVAC does offer advice for a fee, or similar, then they are acting in contravention their terms of employment with VFS, the company with the contract to run the UKVAC, and VFS' contract with the UKBA, and so should be reported to both the UKVAC and the embassy immediately.

As your baby will be a British citizen anyway you should better fly to US and give him a chance to get a US passport !

(i am not US but i guess it's a smart idea to give a US passport to anyone)

Are you sure about the 24 weeks limit to fly ?

It seems that if your wife is small she can fly anytime, as they won't see it...