Is This A New Scam?

Found a new one today. I usually use Chewang or Choengmon Post Offices, but as I was going to Nathon I decided to use Maenam Post Office instead.

Handed over the birthday card and asked for EMS to England. (In Thai)

Guy said "950 Baht"

I asked him to say the price again (in Thai). He said "Air Mail expensive - 950 baht"

I said that surely he was mistaken - it is usually 95 baht.

He apologised and said "Yes - mistake. 95 baht HA HA."

Hmmmm :unsure:

WOW,

Well they have had me,

I paid 950 TB to send one letter to the UK about one year ago, I even got the receipt.

There was no weight only one letter inside an envelope.

Sounds like this has been ongoing for quite some time.

No wonder our postoffice friends all drive new cars

Edited by Boltd

Ha ha. Reminds me of the time my family and friends were unhappy with me for not sending wedding invatations to them.

I did, but was stupid to except the girls offer to put the stamps on for me and post them. Lol

Won't do that again.

I have just sent a rather large parcel via dhl to the uk and that was 1200 thb .. A letter from the uk to here is about 3 pounds ( recorded ) or 150 thb .. So 950 thb for a letter is a scam !! I do remember I did send a letter before to the uk , well card and it was under 100 thb

ExpressMailService

950 baht to UK is the official rate inclusive insurance 7000 baht if lost., arrives within 3 to 5 days, no scam

standard mail is cheaper than 1 chang beer,takes 2 weeks or more ....

Standard mail by air takes 4 - 7 days

EMS 2 - 7 days..

ExpressMailService

950 baht to UK is the official rate inclusive insurance 7000 baht if lost., arrives within 3 to 5 days, no scam

standard mail is cheaper than 1 chang beer,takes 2 weeks or more ....

Standard mail by air takes 4 - 7 days

EMS 2 - 7 days..

So now I am totally confused.

My wife sends cards back to the UK every month. We generally use normal mail (24/34 baht) but when time is important (we are late) we send it EMS.

We have never paid more than 100 baht. I get the receipt with tracking number and everything. Is there a second type of 'recorded' service?

I sent one 2 days earlier from a different Post Office - 85 baht and it got to the UK in 3 days. (mums birthday card!)

http://www2.thailand...arch_ems_en.asp

Different rates between EMS & standard airmail.

When you use, enter weight, say 100 grams & destination., press enter.When you get page with type of services, select the one you want & press enter, that will give you precise pricing per Item according to weight entered.

If you are using the EMS service 950 baht is the correct price

EMS is fully trackable online to the recipients address and takes between 3-5 days

A registered aimail letter would be 55 baht for the cost of registering plus the weight of the letter [maybe 20-40 baht]

This service requires the recipients signature but is not trackable online and takes anywhere between 3 days and 2 weeks

There seems to be some confusion amongst some posters about which service is which but i assure you you have paid the correct price, if you wish to send EMS obviously state this to the Po cleark if you wish to use registered simply say the thai word which is longtabian [registered]

• Like 1

If you are using the EMS service 950 baht is the correct price

EMS is fully trackable online to the recipients address and takes between 3-5 days

A registered aimail letter would be 55 baht for the cost of registering plus the weight of the letter [maybe 20-40 baht]

This service requires the recipients signature but is not trackable online and takes anywhere between 3 days and 2 weeks

There seems to be some confusion amongst some posters about which service is which but i assure you you have paid the correct price, if you wish to send EMS obviously state this to the Po cleark if you wish to use registered simply say the thai word which is longtabian [registered]

Thanks for clearing that one up. Looks like a mai pen rai moment and genuine confusion (at least on my part).

Glad that it wasn't a scam

That still doesn't explain your original story or your other cards for 95/85 Baht, have you ever tried tracking one of those EMS numbers?

I have not tried that - the letter arrives at its destination and I throw the receipt away. We have not lost one in 10 years

Maybe next time I'll try to track it (but I'll probably forget!)

Seems like many people on this forum don't know the difference between EMS,registered mail and airmail.A letter to europe by EMS costs 950 Baht,though the same letter by registered mail is only 100 Baht and by regular airmail it will be less then 30 baht.

Oh what a useful website - thank you Mr Roo.

A little puzzling tho ..... the abbreviations after the items .....

SURFACE - is easy enough, but then there's SAL. Anyone have any idea what this is?

(Plus the list is further complicated by having 3 different abbreviations for 'surface'!)

Cheers

R

Edited by robsamui

Oh what a useful website - thank you Mr Roo.

A little puzzling tho ..... the abbreviations after the items .....

SURFACE - is easy enough, but then there's SAL. Anyone have any idea what this is?

(Plus the list is further complicated by having 3 different abbreviations for 'surface'!)

Cheers

R

SAL.... stands for Surface Air Lift.... and signifies a combination of Air And Sea Mail, it is used for parcels( as letters are sent via Air Mail).... it can also indicate that, for example : a parcel addressed to say an address in the backblocks of Ireland would be sent via Shannon Airport in Dublin and then forwarded by road transport to the final address rather than being directed to a regional airport... obviously the said item would take a lot longer to reach the final destination.

Hope this answers you request.

Canda.