Police Certificate

Pond Life

Has anyone had experience of getting a police certificate in Thailand.

Im applying for a work Visa in a foreign country & I need a certificate from the police to say I have not been a bad boy.

Should I go to the cop shop in my local town or ChiangMai headquarters ?

Or do I have to deal with Bangkok.

Thanks

If you hold a Thai passport, the nearest main office should be good enough. My past experiences with this type of document request for a visa is in your home country, home town cop shop. Another words, country of the passport you are holding and intend this visa to be attached. You might want to ask the host country for clarification. It is a fairly standard background check for outstanding warrants and there was no cost associated last time I did this, but that was in the U.S. And it was for a lets say, not a tourist destination country if you catch my drift. Good luck and be careful.

I've just done this and it is exactly as GotLost posts.

One wrinkle that isn't mentioned and that I encountered is that I turned up with all the requested docs but the reception officer insisted that because I was farang I also needed a letter from the embassy of the country in question. This turned into a bit of a standoff as the Canadian embassy don't issue these letters (I asked them) and the reception officer's English was about as good as my Thai (i.e. minimal) and I couldn't seem to (respectfully) persuade him that he was wrong. I'd come all the way from Chiang Mai specially so I couldn't just come back again tomorrow in the hope of getting a different guy, but luckily for me there was an English speaking Thai applicant in the queue behind me and she interceded for me and as soon as she said I didn't need one everything was fine!

So just be warned that this may happen to you as well, but if your Thai is good or you can find a friendly interpreter you should be alright.

I've just done this and it is exactly as GotLost posts.

One wrinkle that isn't mentioned and that I encountered is that I turned up with all the requested docs but the reception officer insisted that because I was farang I also needed a letter from the embassy of the country in question. This turned into a bit of a standoff as the Canadian embassy don't issue these letters (I asked them) and the reception officer's English was about as good as my Thai (i.e. minimal) and I couldn't seem to (respectfully) persuade him that he was wrong. I'd come all the way from Chiang Mai specially so I couldn't just come back again tomorrow in the hope of getting a different guy, but luckily for me there was an English speaking Thai applicant in the queue behind me and she interceded for me and as soon as she said I didn't need one everything was fine!

So just be warned that this may happen to you as well, but if your Thai is good or you can find a friendly interpreter you should be alright.

All is well that ends well. Glad it worked out for you.

Edited by gotlost