Recent Laos Border Run

Just this past week went to Nong Khai and Vientiane. There are two new pieces of paper one must fill out to get Lao Visa at the border. They did not even want to take my completed visa application form. The new pieces of paper are basically an arrival and a departure form. There was a lot of traffic both early in the morning and early afternoon, heavy both ways, unlike my trip 3 months ago.

They've been using those forms for quite a while, I was there also last week and it's the standard visa application plus the arrival/dep. form.

They gave me back my visa application and said I did not need it. Two months ago there was not the extra two pages you fill out at the border and they wanted the visa application paper.

• 1 month later...

They've been using those forms for quite a while, I was there also last week and it's the standard visa application plus the arrival/dep. form.

They gave me back my visa application and said I did not need it. Two months ago there was not the extra two pages you fill out at the border and they wanted the visa application paper.

Just back from Lao, they still use the same two forms, more than 3 years in my experience.

I think the confusion is there is a different form for use at a Lao Consulate to apply for a visa. The visa at the border is a Visa-on-Arrival.

Joe