The Secret To Happiness In Los

cloudtiger

I've been here a paltry 3 years, but I've seen few truly happy farrangs in LOS. I've heard plenty of self-proclaimed happy farrangs say,

"This is paradise, but ...(fill in the caveats) "

So let it rip, boys and girls:

What's your secret to happiness in LOS?

the secret to happiness is - "to not expect too much".

this applies to anywhere you are in the world.

I believe in the saying, "the more you want, the more you suffer."

for this to truly work, you need to do "reality checks" on your existence in the past.

imprint in your mind your existence in the world you lived in before you came here.

... from the 3 hour commutes day in and day out - to and from work. to the fears of "how to keep up with the jones". or maybe the freezing rain/snow for those who lived in the colder places. how about the lonely nights in a dreary coffee shop where nobody wanted to talk to you?

when you are able to do this successfully, you will never feel depressed for too long ever again. for upon retrospect, you will instantly feel lucky, and kiss the earth.

it works for me.

ahhhh. ooohhhhh.

I'm happy in Thailand because many of the places I lived before I moved here were substandard by western standards....I lived in cabins in the woods with no electricity or running water, in garages, in vehicles, in unfinished houses...in cheap shared housing. This helped me to save enough money to buy my own house where I rented out most of it and lived in the garage (which I fixed up into a small apartment)....this allowed me to make money on my living situation instead of spend money on my living situation.

The bottom line is I learned to live happily in substandard housing before I moved to Thailand AND in the process of doing so I saved enough money so that I can live in Thailand the rest of my life and never have to work for anyone else ever again HOOOOORAY!!!!!

Don't worry, be happy!! I think Meher Baba said that.

What a great topic... and offered to ThaiVisa members by a 6-month old member who has only 15 posts to date under his belt... just goes to show how much drivel some of the rest of us post... :o

Mate... I've been here only a little longer than you, but I am one of those "few truly happy farrangs in LOS"... :D

What's my secret? :D

Not tonight... too hard a day at work... too much beer after work... I'm feeling jovial and not at all serious, and this subject deserves some serious replies... not some drunken ramblings... :D

So... I'll reserve my post for tomorrow... when I'm sober and had some reflection time.

:D

When I've lived there in the past I've found that having one's creature comforts (no matter how simple) to hand helps a lot. I remember how happy I was when I could listen to BBC radio when I eventually got online in my place. I also had my British Comedies/Classic TV DVDs with me as well as UBC which helped pass the time when there was nothing much else happening. Having a nice place full of your favourite things to go back to every day really helps.

I spent a lot of time getting to know my locale as well and quickly found a range of nightspots, restaurants etc and got to know the people who worked there as well which always assures a warm welcome.

I also made sure I was within kicking distance of all of my fave places namely Ko Samet, Pattaya, Ko Chang and Bangkok as well as its always nice to have a bolthole.

More general aspects of my personal wellbeing in Thailand are the climate and the quality of life which is simply not affordable in the west.

I am very happy here. I have a higher standard of living than I would in the UK (no tax!!!), the nightlife is more fun than UK - less chance of being battered by louts on the piss, making more money out here, nice weather. In fact there is nothing a really miss from home. Having said that I travel back quite a bit....

Freedom from the shackles of work

Freedom from the shackles of political correctness

Freedom from worry and stress (99%)

Freedom to do almost what I like, when I like

Freedom to be myself

Freedom from feeling cold

Thailand - Land of the free

Did I mention "Freedom"?

Edited by loong

Everyone is here for the ez women. It irritates me when people toss out other rationales. They are all 100% BS. The only people not here for those women are the queers and they are here for the dudes. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise although the cheap living is also a factor

Everyone is here for the ez women. It irritates me when people toss out other rationales. They are all 100% BS. The only people not here for those women are the queers and they are here for the dudes. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise although the cheap living is also a factor

The 1st time I came here was not bcos of the women

However the 2nd time most certainly was.

Now , I come here because I call it home

What a load of absolute cr@p. :o

You are a TROLL... <deleted> off and get a life. :D

You hit the nail on the head there Dude ...... but watch the indignant replies especially from the shirtlifters!!!! <deleted>

Partly agree with you cause I come here for one ez woman. :o

Having said that I do not yet have the power to engage in horizontal exercise 24hrs/day so in between ups and down LOS is a nice place with friendly people and an easy going life style which makes the earthly movement even more ejoyable :D

Don't bother to reply to him, Jai Dee

We all know what he is, just read his nick.

Don't bother to reply to him, Jai Dee

We all know what he is, just read his nick.

Thanks Thetyim, actually I just read through bodypaul's posts too... "birds of a feather".... :D

I think the most important thing is to not try and compare things too much to where you came from. Try to brings some things to your office or apartment that make the place your own so that you feel at home there. Then after you have weathered the first six months or so you are over the hump and things only get easier from their.

Thailand does have some rules and regulations that will be different from where ever you come from. The bank will do things different than the bank you used to bank with. The post office does operate different than your old post office. Etc, etc, etc. Things are different here, and as long as you don’t focus too much on the differences and instead focus on making things work within the system in Thailand it will be much easier. Don’t fight the system.

Feel free to fight injustices – but pick your battles, and be wise in choosing those battles.

Beautiful and sexy women certainly a plus. Think what's available back home? No make-up, dowdy clothes, bad attitudes and fat. Need I say more? If you are homesick for the women, just read the news from USA: drug use and abuse on the rise, people screwed out of thier pensions and/or jobs, and the ever rising cost of living, particularly housing. I can't think of any other reasons why I want to go back. If you have enough money to stay in Thailand, enjoy the advantages here.

As a woman, I am here neither for the "ez women" or the guys. I am married and have a family. Husband is not Thai.

We came to live here because primarily, hubby works in the region. We stay here and are happy here because:

I have a great job that I love.

Kids are in a great school.

It is safer and cheaper than where we come from.

We have made good friends, both Thai and farang who we enjoy spending time with.

We have a lovely home which we were able to afford that we couldn't have managed to buy in our home countries.

This forum is not made up of men exclusively and it bothers me when members such as "The Dude" make sweeping remarks like he did. If you spend some time and read this forum you will find that many male members are in happy, long term relationships with Thai ladies and are not running around the bars with "ez women" or guys.

Enuf said.

This forum is not made up of men exclusively and it bothers me when members such as "The Dude" make sweeping remarks like he did.  If you spend some time and read this forum you will find that many male members are in happy, long term relationships with Thai ladies and are not running around the bars with "ez women" or guys. 

Enuf said.

I agree