Tony'S New "Sports World" Gym Has Opened

tropo

We always get a lot of ignorant replies in gym related threads. All the insecure guys come out and release their frustrations about muscular guys on here.

It's always the way. If a skinny guy wears a tank top he's keeping cool. If a muscular guy does, he's showing off and on "roids" and "a freak" etc etc.

Bring them on I say.....

Edited by tropo
  • Like 2

Err just to be different and actually reply to the OP's original question.

I went to this new gym yesterday. It was all right. What I liked about it was the room you had to work out. There's plenty of space around the equipment. That was one of my pet peeves at his original gym across the road. You had to be nearly stepping over people working out to move around. No such problem at the new place. The air con was turned on. Although I guess it must be very expensive to run because the ceiling is so high and the outer walls are just clear plastic sheeting that are not sealed at the bottom. No water - same as his other places.

It consists of 2 floors. On the ground floor its basically all the old equipment from his 'old' 3rd road gym. The one that got demolished a few months ago. He has applied a fresh coat of paint to the equipment, does that count as making the equipment new again?? :rolleyes: Upstairs then there appears to be all genuinely new equipment. This 'Eagle' brand that I've never heard of but it looks pretty good. There is some aerobic gear on the 2nd floor but its 90% lifting equipment. If you want to do cardio you are probably better off going to his original gym across the road. Finally there is no punch bag in the gym. He does have a Muay Thai academy opposite this new gym where all that kind of work out equipment can be found.

Err just to be different and actually reply to the OP's original question.

I went to this new gym yesterday. It was all right. What I liked about it was the room you had to work out. There's plenty of space around the equipment. That was one of my pet peeves at his original gym across the road. You had to be nearly stepping over people working out to move around. No such problem at the new place. The air con was turned on. Although I guess it must be very expensive to run because the ceiling is so high and the outer walls are just clear plastic sheeting that are not sealed at the bottom. No water - same as his other places.

It consists of 2 floors. On the ground floor its basically all the old equipment from his 'old' 3rd road gym. The one that got demolished a few months ago. He has applied a fresh coat of paint to the equipment, does that count as making the equipment new again?? :rolleyes: Upstairs then there appears to be all genuinely new equipment. This 'Eagle' brand that I've never heard of but it looks pretty good. There is some aerobic gear on the 2nd floor but its 90% lifting equipment. If you want to do cardio you are probably better off going to his original gym across the road. Finally there is no punch bag in the gym. He does have a Muay Thai academy opposite this new gym where all that kind of work out equipment can be found.

Thanks for your report.

It is a shame that he's based his new and "amazing" gym on the old junk from his other gym that he closed. Those old rubber DBs are a joke, especially if you want to go heavy.

Having no water is ridiculous beyond words.

I've never seen a gym anywhere in the world where you're on display to the outside public on a busy road. How does this feel?

Did you use this gym as part of an existing membership deal?...or pay for a casual visit?

You said the aircon was on. How cool was it? In Soi 16 the manager used to go around turning the units off if it dropped below about 28C to save power.

Thanks for your report.

It is a shame that he's based his new and "amazing" gym on the old junk from his other gym that he closed. Those old rubber DBs are a joke, especially if you want to go heavy.

Having no water is ridiculous beyond words.

I've never seen a gym anywhere in the world where you're on display to the outside public on a busy road. How does this feel?

Did you use this gym as part of an existing membership deal?...or pay for a casual visit?

You said the aircon was on. How cool was it? In Soi 16 the manager used to go around turning the units off if it dropped below about 28C to save power.

Agreed the old rubber dumbells are a joke, especially when there is bits and pieces of rubber that has fallen off them!!

Yeah the road thing wasnt really an issue. There is very little people walking by so noone really gawking in. The taffic outside is moving pretty fast so same same. Plus inside on the first floor there is a partition wall that divides the room. If you are sitting down behind the wall you are not visible from outside.

I'm an existing member - paid my yearly 6,000 baht a few months ago.

In terms of the heat, well it depends on your personal preference. I kinda like the heat and so I was comfortable but everyone had a different level of comfort. Having a serious cardio workout may not be terribly comfortable.

As I said, I found its biggest advantage to be the space and room you have. I'll probably use there as my regular workout spot from now on. I prefer it to his gym across the road.

As I said, I found its biggest advantage to be the space and room you have. I'll probably use there as my regular workout spot from now on. I prefer it to his gym across the road.

I never bothered training at the other gym across the road because of that very issue. You're walking over people to work out there. The old 3rd Road gym was also too cramped. I find the soi 16 gym spacious and that's one of the reasons I train there only. My current membership doesn't allow me to use the other gyms.

65 percent gay

25 percent straight

27 percent cant add

Hey, I'm no fan of some of these bitter, moody steroid-abusing preeners on this thread, but some of them seem OK.

However your maths are definitely not OK - your percentages add up to 117! Sure you haven't been guzzling HGH and steroid cocktails before a big strutting and self-love session in front of a mirror you lovely thing you??

65 percent gay

25 percent straight

27 percent cant add

Hey, I'm no fan of some of these bitter, moody steroid-abusing preeners on this thread, but some of them seem OK.

However your maths are definitely not OK - your percentages add up to 117! Sure you haven't been guzzling HGH and steroid cocktails before a big strutting and self-love session in front of a mirror you lovely thing you??

He must have been on the HGH some people here say it helps you to get a sense of humor. He seems to have humor and belong to the 27% .. that was probably what he was refering too.

Please keep your not funny homophobic suggestions and wild allegations out of this thread.

Thanks Rimmer. If you don't mind, I'd like to educate the ignorant people about the sexual preferences of gym members.

I've never seen any serious trainers concern themselves with whether fellow members are gay or straight. We treat each other as equals in the sport we share. Many of the world's top competitors are gay, but just as in the general population they are still in the minority. Both gay and straight people are equally concerned about conditioning and health, therefore it is quite natural that both will be found in gyms.

There isn't any reason why a gay person is more or less likely to want to improve their physique - the straight guys want to look good for the girls and the gay guys want to look good for the guys. (In actual fact, thinking about this, the straight guys also want to look good for the guys (to show off), whereas I doubt the gay guys are concerned about what the girls think of them - which would give the straight guys even more motivation to train).

Lastly, in the gym it would be difficult to distinguish whether a member is gay or straight. In the gym they both behave exactly the same way.

Now regarding steroid use. Steroid using boydbuilders form only a small percentage of the total gym membership in any gym. They probably stand out more because of their size and that is why insecure people focus on them and feel intimidated - therefore offering negative comments in each and every gym related thread. In Pattaya's gyms the majority of the members are 40 plus guys trying to stay in shape. Most of the "roidheads" are just visitors. Some are good blokes, others are a**holes - the same as it is at your local pub.

I never bothered training at the other gym across the road because of that very issue. You're walking over people to work out there. The old 3rd Road gym was also too cramped. I find the soi 16 gym spacious and that's one of the reasons I train there only. My current membership doesn't allow me to use the other gyms.

Yeah I've never used Tony's gym on soi 16. I dont really like that walking street area and I live 5 mins from his gyms on third road. I didnt realize Tony sold individual memberships to his gyms. All his gyms on third road sold a yearly membership that allowed you use any of the gyms. Do you mind me asking how much you paid for membership to the soi 16 gym only? It would have to have been a good bit cheaper than 6,000 baht, right?

Yeah I've never used Tony's gym on soi 16. I dont really like that walking street area and I live 5 mins from his gyms on third road. I didnt realize Tony sold individual memberships to his gyms. All his gyms on third road sold a yearly membership that allowed you use any of the gyms. Do you mind me asking how much you paid for membership to the soi 16 gym only? It would have to have been a good bit cheaper than 6,000 baht, right?

He used to sell a cheaper membership for the Soi 16 gym at 4000 baht. This is not longer offered and when my membership expires I'll be paying the same as you.

The old gym (across the street from the new one) has also removed all the water coolers, and posted A4 sheets in various spots explaining that due to the bad economic climate and in order to maintain service levels, they will take out the free water and only sell water. Unfortunately, they've taken away the mineral water they were selling prior and the only option now is some offbrand bottled water.

I agree with previous comments, in that while the older location does have pretty much all the equipment you need, it is really crowded and limited on space. Difficult to get from one side to the other without feeling like you're intruding on someone's workout space. I'm hoping the new gym will "thin the herd" at the old gym and maybe make it more convenient to navigate.

He used to sell a cheaper membership for the Soi 16 gym at 4000 baht. This is not longer offered and when my membership expires I'll be paying the same as you.

Just found out that they are indeed offering a Soi 16 Gym only membership for 5,999 baht. It's now 7,999 baht to use all the gyms. The 5,999 baht for all gyms promotion ended a few weeks ago.

I'm sure we'll see these prices change again as an obvious lack of customers dictates. Perhaps this new gym will follow in the footsteps of "Tent City" and Tony's Food Court.