Thai Navy's Piracy Hunt Reflects A New World Image

webfact

BTW, Good luck to the sailors of the Royal Thai Navy on this first-ever tasking and congratulations on the decision to join this very worthwhile cause.

Yes, best wishes to them and I hope they all return safely. I guess for some people it's just one more opportunity to bitch & moan . Of course here on TV, Thailand bashing is a 24/7 undertaking.

They deserve every bit of the bashing. The naval venture may be worthwhile, but there more worthwhile causes on the home front, such as promoting democracy and not military political influence and power. If a government needs the military such as the now Ruling Democrats (sic) to keep them in power then there is no democracy or freedom.

Since we're talking about 'Thai Navy's Pirate Hunt' I don't see there being more worthy causes for them on the home front. Unless you really mean that the Navy should promote democracy AND not military political influence and power. A bit contradictory I think, democracy and asking the Navy to meddle. Let the Navy stay at sea, I'd say.

Your last sentence start with "If", I assume this means it's just your speculation with "ruling Dem's" thrown in as bait. As this is a naval topic fishing might be appropriate ;)

I believe forcing Rohingya refugees off the beach and back out to sea in 2008 was their last brush with the international media. Tho not mentioned by "The Nation", this is a prime piece of rehabilitation (and probably requires similar skills :whistling: )

Defense spending in Thailand, as in most countries of the world, waxes and wanes, with later spending balancing years of defense cuts.

I'm not disputing your percentage figures but the URL stated provides a list that is "That list states

On a world scale of military expediture as a percentage of GDP, Thailand ranks No.33

Position No.89 is held by the Ivory Coast

The list you refer to is by total expenditures (in dollars).

To obtain military expenditure as a percentage of GDP, you need to click on the last column of figures in the link.

When you do that, and then count the countries in order, the following is revealed:

On a world scale of military expenditure as a percentage of GDP, Thailand ranks # 89

My apologies, can't argue with that. Be interesting to see the figures based on 2010 Military budget, but I guess I'll have to wait a year or two for that.

Over the period 1988 - 2008 the percentage has been dropping to reach a low of 1.1% in 2005/6 and is now showing an upward trend to 1.5% in

As I say would be interested in the effects of the latest spending though it would probably be affected by the state of the present economy

which in the end probably points to statistics meaning not a lot at the end of the day.

You could infer that they are spending large amounts of money on the military budget because economically things are good (for some)

or do you think there might be something else behind it?

Over the period 1988 - 2008 the percentage has been dropping to reach a low of 1.1% in 2005/6 and is now showing an upward trend to 1.5% in 2008.

You could infer that they are spending large amounts of money on the military budget

It's a cyclic phenomena common in many countries. Spending now reflects a recovery from when it was at unsustainable levels previously, as you've pointed to.

Defense spending in Thailand, as in most countries of the world, waxes and wanes, with later spending balancing years of defense cuts.

justification to their extra large military budget as well as deterring domestic problems with a 'new world image'

But isn't it true to say, that there have now been several incidents of these pirates attacking/capturing Thai-flagged & Thai-crewed & Thai-owned-ships in that area, so that in fact the Royal Thai Navy is merely joining in an international-effort, which will also protect Thai interests ?

And surely the Thai military budget is relatively-small, by comparison with many other countries ?

justification to their extra large military budget as well as deterring domestic problems with a 'new world image'

But isn't it true to say, that there have now been several incidents of these pirates attacking/capturing Thai-flagged & Thai-crewed & Thai-owned-ships in that area, so that in fact the Royal Thai Navy is merely joining in an international-effort, which will also protect Thai interests ?

Yes, Thailand has suffered losses like many other countries and yes they are joining an international effort and yes, it will help to protect Thai interests.

And surely the Thai military budget is relatively-small, by comparison with many other countries ?

They come in at 89th on the list.

Good luck to the navy. As others have said , whatever the politics, its good to see Thailand engaging with international issues. In Timor, where they sent the army a few years ago, they were highly regarded, helped the Timorese with many agricultural projects, and their management of the UN hospital was excellent. They provided execellent health care for many people - UN, other missions, and in extreme cases local Timorese.

If the navy performs like the police, they'll be captured by the pirates without a shot be fired, or they'll make a corrridor for the pirates to pass through so long as they promise not to be violent with the guns they're carrying....

Thailand warship in Africa is just a front. The real intention could be to show fire power infront of Saudi door step. Don't mess with our police appointment, or we will ...

SamritT,- you get better every week.

If the navy performs like the police, they'll be captured by the pirates without a shot be fired, or they'll make a corrridor for the pirates to pass through so long as they promise not to be violent with the guns they're carrying....

Thats more like it, lets get back to Thai bashing, much more fun than the spoutings from the rose colored spec tree huggers.

Thailand warship in Africa is just a front. The real intention could be to show fire power infront of Saudi door step. Don't mess with our police appointment, or we will ...

Thats more like it, lets get back to Thai bashing, much more fun than the spoutings from the rose colored spec tree huggers.

I've never seen a tree bearing 'rose colored specs', let alone hugged one, are they very common in Thailand ? :rolleyes:

Edited by Ricardo

:whistling:

I've never seen a tree bearing 'rose colored specs', let alone hugged one, are they very common in Thailand ? :rolleyes:

Loads of them on TV mate!

More common than you might think, you've never seen one?

post-104682-048038300 1284973524_thumb.j

Samrit, I know you have your tongue firmly in your cheek when you say this, but the Saudis are well armed & well trained in comparison to the Thais. No saber rattling from the RTN, just pursue and take out any pirates they come into contact with.

The 60-day mission will allow Thai troops to learn and work with other nationalities taking part in the Gulf of Aden operation

Wonder whether the pirates will be participating in the exercises or whether they'll just wait out the 60 days until the troops have to go home and then it'll be "back to business" for all those in the piracy trade.

To true ,We must remember the Pirates don't have Satalite TV or

computor access to knowing this is happening. :)

BTW, Good luck to the sailors of the Royal Thai Navy on this first-ever tasking and congratulations on the decision to join this very worthwhile cause.

Yes, best wishes to them and I hope they all return safely. I guess for some people it's just one more opportunity to bitch & moan . Of course here on TV, Thailand bashing is a 24/7 undertaking.

Might be worthwhile to note that most of the real 'Thailand bashing' is actually done by Thai's themselves, highlighting their own countries percieved woes and issues just to try to score points against their 'enemies'!!! :ph34r:

Phew!!!

I thought for a moment that my mate's bootleg DVD production line on the oil rig had been discovered.

Glad to know I can still get the movies on disk instead of worrying about TOT blocking torrentz.

Now that's safe, like someone above said - Go Navy - sort out them Somali Pirates that keep mucking up the Sea Mail parcel post delivery times. I'm expecting some Red Cross parcels for Christmas from the family, and it would be nice if they arrived this year.

"Although it is quite a dangerous mission"! Dangerous in what sense-no pad Thai for 60 days?

LOL!

A launch manned by a few Somalis armed with grenade firing rifles versus a warship? Give me a break. The range of the visually sighted rockets versus the range of the frigates presumably radar controlled armament with air burst capability? No contest. i assume that everybody going on this adventure will get a medal to go along with their ones they already have for doing nothing much at all. 

In 1959 my ship was sent as guard to Gan, one of the southern most islands in the Maldives. The RAF had built an air strip there to service air trooping flights to Australia. The Maldivian Government were getting a bit shirty after finding out that the paltry sum that they had been paid for the use of the island was not made of real plastic but a cheap substitute. They stated their intention to take the island back so we were sent to dissuade them. On arrival our C.O. after consulting with the fly boy boss cleared lower deck ( mustered all except those on duty) and put us in the picture regarding the political situation and what his plan of campaign would be if indeed the Maldivians were far enough out of their minds to take us on. 

He said that on leaving the lagoon he would turn south and run out for about 10 nautical miles. We were dumbfounded and there was some muttering from the lads. The nasties were coming from the north so why were we turning away? The C.O. let that sink in and then said he would then reverse course working up to full speed and plough through the armada of war canoes at 36 knots. Grins and chuckles broke out. The bow wave of a destroyer at full power is an awesome sight and without doubt the canoes would be swamped. One would hope that the natives,like the present day Thai Navy, wore life jackets as for sure they would need them.  Would have been fun if only they had turned up.

Ceylon Tamil

There hasn't been a Ceylon since 1972. Where have you been for the last 38 years?

but i cant spell Sri Lanka, mate

>>>>wot great news for human trafficers, Ceylon Tamil terrorist transporters to Canada, for example!

who protect Thailand's World Image as leaky faucets for these ventures with the Navy sent an ocean away???

2 months ago they promised better surveillance of Thai waters, ----- guess not.

"Although it is quite a dangerous mission"! Dangerous in what sense-no pad Thai for 60 days?

LOL!

A launch manned by a few Somalis armed with grenade firing rifles versus a warship? Give me a break. The range of the visually sighted rockets versus the range of the frigates presumably radar controlled armament with air burst capability? No contest.

The Somali pirates with automatic rifles and rocket propelled grenade launchers:

somalipirates3.jpg

versus the Thai forces:

HTMS Pattani and its Otomelara 76/62 main gun

It's depicted here for 3 minutes on a Norwegian Navy ship showing both single shot and rapid fire mode (80 rounds per minute):

the pirates may wish to pay particular attention to the last 15 seconds of the clip

Edited by Buchholz

dont worry about the APCs doubtful if they will ever get here as the first original order has yet to be delivered.

Ukraine delivers first two armored vehicles to Thailand

BANGKOK, Sept. 16, 2010 (Xinhua) -- The first two Ukraine-made BTR- 3E1 armored personnel carriers (APCs) are due to be delivered on Ilyushin IL-76 aircraft to U-Tapao Royal Thai Navy Airfield on Friday before sending to 2nd Infantry Division for initial inspection, local media reported.

Meanwhile, in other new military equipment arrival news yesterday:

r3056188180.jpg

Russian-made BTR-60 armoured personnel carriers (APC) are seen on a ship prior to being unloaded at Preah Sihanouk port, about 230 km west of Phnom Penh September 20, 2010. Cambodia has bought 44 APCs and 50 new T55 tanks as part of the country's effort to "strengthen sovereignty" following the tension with Thailand over the World Heritage listed Preah Vihear temple since 2008, the pro-government newspaper Rasmei Kampuchea Daily reported.

REUTERS

r1672945770.jpg

A Soviet-made T-55 tank is seen on a ship prior being unloaded at Preah Sihanouk port, about 230 km west of Phnom Penh September 20, 2010. Cambodia has bought 44 APCs and 50 new T-55 tanks as part of the country's effort to "strengthen sovereignty" following the tension with Thailand over the World Heritage listed Preah Vihear temple since 2008, the pro-government newspaper Rasmei Kampuchea Daily reported.

REUTERS

An absolute disgrace that such a navy as the Thai navy be allowed to work within the international community.

Only last year the Thai navy (these same ships, these same men) towed over a thousand innocent people out to the ocean and set them adrift to die with neither water, food or shelter.

Over a thousand people.

This is what the Thai navy does. For this military unit, these ships, and these same men to now be welcomed among the international community and heralded as some sort of peace keepers is a spit in the face of those they tortured to death en masses only last year.

The Thai authorities then denied the United Nations access to 126 more Rohingya boat people who were believed to be in army custody.

People seem to have very short memories, those on here patting them on the back should either make themselves aware of what Thai authorities do, or be ashamed of themselves for forgetting the 1000+ souls tortured and set adrift to perish horrendously.

art.towed.boat.cnn.jpg

20100322165555_1_normal.jpg

Edited by thomo

No one agrees that it's disgraceful having such a navy accepted as part of the international community?

And a spit in the face of 1000+ they tortured and 100s they murdered by towing them out to sea and setting them adrift en masse with neither food, water nor shelter, only last year?

Okay then.

Edited by thomo

• 2 months later...

HTMS Pattani and its Otomelara 76/62 main gun

It's depicted here for 3 minutes on a Norwegian Navy ship showing both single shot and rapid fire mode (80 rounds per minute):

the pirates may wish to pay particular attention to the last 15 seconds of the clip

It's not ALL about firepower onboard the HTMS Pattani :

Navies Respond to Medical Emergency Aboard Pirated Vessel

Speaking through an intermediary, the pirates issued a request for assistance because a member of the crew on sea-jacked Hannibal II required urgent medical attention.

The Tunisian master of the ship contacted the shipowner and the authorities on 16 December, confirmed that he had a crew member with severe stomach pains on board and requested assistance.

He also stated that an agreement had been reached with the pirates allowing the sick man to be picked up and transferred to a navy ship for treatment if a transfer could be arranged.

The Royal Thai Navy's HTMS PATTANI was the nearest ship in the vicinity of the MV Hannibal II and responded. Pattani is currently serving with Combined Task Force 151 (CTF 151), CMF's counter-piracy mission.

In the early morning of 17 December, the Combined Maritime Force(CMF) joined forces with EUNAVFOR to evacuate a crew member from the MV Hannibal II after reports were received that he had a possible appendicitis.

The sick crewmember was transferred by Rigid Hulled Inflatable Boat (RHIB) from the pirated vessel to the HTMS Pattani before being moved by helicopter from Pattani to the German frigate FGS HAMBURG, which has more suitable medical facilities and is part of the European Union Naval Force Somalia (EUNAVFOR).

The patient is now receiving medical treatment from the German medical staff on board. CMF spokesperson Lt Cdr Susie Thomson RN said: "Combined Maritime Forces place the utmost importance on providing humanitarian assistance in emergency cases, irrespective of the fact that the continued detention of the MT Hannibal II is an act of piracy, which is a serious crime under international law."

The good co-operation between the naval commands was also commended. The MV HANNIBAL II had been pirated on 11 November and is currently at anchor off Garacad on the North East Coast of Somalia.

CMF is a naval partnership based in Bahrain, consisting of 25 member nations, which contribute ships, aircraft and personnel in support of the mission.

The case also shows once again that good arrangements for humanitarian reasons can be made with the Somali pirates.

http://australia.to/2010/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5168:reports-on-vessels-seized-by-pirates-in-somalia&catid=94:breaking-news&Itemid=171

Australia.to News - December 18, 2010