Problem 1: Printing 1:1 With Ubuntu And Gimp

qualtrough

A somewhat complex issue, complicated by yours truly, so I have done my best to break it down:

Platform: Dual boot Pentium4, latest Ubuntu version and XP

Printer: Canon MP145 (using MP140 driver in Ubuntu installation)

Issue Number 1: Can print 1:1 (actual size) images and pdf files when using XP with Photoshop, but cannot when using GIMP in Ubuntu. Size is just slightly off by, say, 3mm for a line 10cm long.

Attempted resolution: In Ubuntu I have set printer parameters at 'crop to preserve dimensions', 100% scaling, A4 paper size, etc. No joy. Also looked at GIMP settings, can't find anything to account for the lack of 1:1 printing.

Issue Number Two (Bonus! :) ): Must have screwed something up when fiddling with parameters, because now Open Office Write document fonts print smaller than they should, e.g. 28 point TNR appear to be about 10 point font.

Attempted resolution: Have reviewed all Write and Printer parameters and cannot find anything to account for this.

Additional clue Number 1: If I save a 28 point Times New Roman font Write document as a pdf and print it out when using Ubuntu the font appears small, exactly as in the Write version.

Additional clue Number 2: Problems with documents or the printer itself can be ruled out (I assume) as the same documents that will not print 1:1 or in correct font when using Ubuntu and GIMP or Write will print out OK when using XP.

Background: My goal is to use Linux almost exclusively, but the thing that is holding me back is the need to print some images and pdf files 1:1. So far I have been unable to do that using Ubuntu and GIMP. Now after fiddling with settings in Ubuntu I have a new problem with fonts appearing smaller than they should be when printed.

Priority now is to get the fonts working as they did last night, but I really want to solve the 1:1 printing issue as I don't like having to switch back and forth between XP and Ubuntu.

If anyone has any suggestions I will be grateful. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

P.S. I have tried shutting down and restarting the computer, closing and re-opening programs, etc., but no change.

Edited by qualtrough

I just managed to fix the issue with font printing too small. In the Printer settings I must have somehow tripped an option to print 4 pages per side! Don't know how I did that, but anyway reset to one and now printing is back to normal. I still am interested in solving the 1:1 issue when printing pdf and image files. I need them to print out actual size.

I just managed to fix the issue with font printing too small. In the Printer settings I must have somehow tripped an option to print 4 pages per side! Don't know how I did that, but anyway reset to one and now printing is back to normal. I still am interested in solving the 1:1 issue when printing pdf and image files. I need them to print out actual size.

I had some time back an issue with printing PDF documents, the fonts where just not the same. After searching the web I found that Adobe uses property PS fonts for PDF documents, so when I installed the latest Adobe PDF reader on my Linux box it fixed the problems of the font sizes mismatch.

I'm not 100% that you have the same problem, but as I read your story it seems you try to print PDF documents with GIMP.