Sea Container, For Shipping, For Storage

boatguy

I'm moving to the Khon Kaen area from the USA. I have a fair amount of stuff I want to bring to Thailand, including possibly an extensive collection of model trains. I am considering bringing and maybe setting up the trains in a coffee shop atmosphere for both the young kids and old retired 'kids' to enjoy.

Because I may not have an immediate place to store some of this stuff (particularly the trains) I likely will not want to unload the entire container right away. So my thoughts were to buy a 20' container in the USA and ship it here to Khon Kaen, then utilize it as a storage unit until I found a place for everything (Her present townhouse does not have enough room for all of this extra stuff). After unloading I might sell off this container to someone shipping out, or to someone else looking for storage. Does this sound doable??

What has surprised me is that I see very few sea containers anywhere around KK?? I would have thought in this modern world of shipping that there would be numerous standardized shipping containers trucked up from the port areas of Thailand, and/or even from producers in other parts of Thailand? How do a lot of these big retailers get there goods? I would also expect to see at least some of these std containers utilized to store various goods (tires, building supplies, etc) in and around the area. I don't see any.

Can anyone explain this lack of containers in the NE of Thailand??

I have a fair idea of why you do not see many f these shipping containers around.

I have been looking into doing the same as I own a 40 foot container in the UK that holds all my possessions and is currently stored on secure land.

Looking into the importation codes here in Thailand, I noticed that if you want to bring the container in as a separate item, then you need to do a separate import procedure for the container (as a semi-permanent structure i believe) but don't quote me.

I believe that customs clear all internal goods in the container and expect the container to be re-exported in an 'in transit' capacity.

I don't know why this exists. Usually the whole container is passed, As an ex importer of many years, as soon as the items were delivered, then that is it as far as customs go... If the container went back to China or wherever was irrelevant. the contents were always the point at issue.

I am taking a stab in the dark here... but maybe there is an import duty levied on a container, if it is going to take up permanent residency in the kingdom.

Just a thought.

Edited by newsite12

What has surprised me is that I see very few sea containers anywhere around KK?? I would have thought in this modern world of shipping that there would be numerous standardized shipping containers trucked up from the port areas of Thailand, and/or even from producers in other parts of Thailand? How do a lot of these big retailers get there goods? I would also expect to see at least some of these std containers utilized to store various goods (tires, building supplies, etc) in and around the area. I don't see any.

Are all of these imported goods off-loaded from their containers at the port of entry and loaded aboard other vehicles? I can't imagine so.

But I don't even see container delivery trucks up here in Isaan. I believe I read somewhere that an effort to build some sort of container receiving facility here around KK for shipment of containers by way of train? It would seem to be the future, as KK would be natural big city distribution point for the NE area, both coming and going. OR is all this shipping being done by the trucking industry...and is that industry trying to hang on to this older distribution system ??

Are all of these imported goods off-loaded from their containers at the port of entry and loaded aboard other vehicles? I can't imagine so.

But I don't even see container delivery trucks up here in Isaan. I believe I read somewhere that an effort to build some sort of container receiving facility here around KK for shipment of containers by way of train? It would seem to be the future, as KK would be natural big city distribution point for the NE area, both coming and going. OR is all this shipping being done by the trucking industry...and is that industry trying to hang on to this older distribution system ??

I have been involved in air and ocean shipping on the forwarding side for 34 years.

Transport to KK for the container is not a problem. You will need a sideloader truck which can unload the 20' container wherever you want but they are pricy. I would assume 20k to 30k. If you privately own the shipping container it will have to be declared as an imported item and duties and taxes may apply. Your personal effects is another thing you will have to deal with. Thai Royal Customs will most likely require you or your customs broker to attend the examination of the contents. Its possible it will have to be unloaded examined and then repacked which will require labour and a labour charge. I would suggest you attend if they are going to touch or open your goods. You should be aware of the regulations regarding the entry of your personal effects. Even tho the regulations are quite detailed its possible somebody will try to put a tax on some of your goods. You have to be a little sensible as to what u oject to and what u dont. Example if they wanted 20k baht from you for expedience purpose i wud pay it rather than argue the point.

Be guided by your Customs Broker on this

PS most full containers are moved to their ultimate destination in the container after the customs process and then the container is taken back to the container depot. No problem selling the container once yr finished with it just have to advertise it

Well if you have other questions let me know. I can link you with some people if you need

Brgds Mark

Not a problem to move a container up to KK, the trucking cost will obviously be higher than moving a container BKK, but that just makes sense....

As others have stated, if you purchase the container and plan on permanently importing into Thailand, you will also need to pay import duty on the container. The reason why this is not done if you use container from the liner is because the liner's container does not remain in Thailand... every liner company has to place a bond with Thai customs and account for all container coming in and out of the country.

You will also need to make sure that your forwarder realizes that you need to book freight via SOC (shipper's own container) as many liner's will actually charge a surcharge if you use your own container.

You should also contact a customs broker in Thailand to determine if you would qualify for and duty privilege if you move your house hold goods to Thailand. Generally you will need a work permit and a non-im visa to qualify.

Then even if you do qualify, it is not a blanket exemption... the standard is "what is reasonably required to move your household" and this standard can vary depending upon customs officer on duty at the time

... there is no exact measurement, but for example one tv not going to be a problem, but 5 tv may seem to be more than what is "reasonably required", so customs officer may say... first 2 no duty, the other 3 you need to pay duty...

Edited by CWMcMurray

one more point.... once you check out the cost of buying your own shipping container, liner surcharge for shipping SOC, import duty and vat on container... you may actually find that you could have built a simple building (4 walls and a roof) for less (as long as you own the property).

I saw that your girlfriend / wife lives in a Town house, so if she does not have any land, you also have to think about where to will put the container as most Townhouses I have seen in Thailand, do not generally have enough room to park a 20ft container.

Not a problem to move a container up to KK, the trucking cost will obviously be higher than moving a container BKK, but that just makes sense....

As others have stated, if you purchase the container and plan on permanently importing into Thailand, you will also need to pay import duty on the container. The reason why this is not done if you use container from the liner is because the liner's container does not remain in Thailand... every liner company has to place a bond with Thai customs and account for all container coming in and out of the country.

Wow, then some companies must have a lot of money sitting in bond as i understand there is quite a surplus of unused containers sitting at some port areas in Thailand waiting for some use by exporters...is this true??

You should also contact a customs broker in Thailand to determine if you would qualify for and duty privilege if you move your house hold goods to Thailand. Generally you will need a work permit and a non-im visa to qualify.

Then even if you do qualify, it is not a blanket exemption... the standard is "what is reasonably required to move your household" and this standard can vary depending upon customs officer on duty at the time

... there is no exact measurement, but for example one tv not going to be a problem, but 5 tv may seem to be more than what is "reasonably required", so customs officer may say... first 2 no duty, the other 3 you need to pay duty...

I am seeking an O-A retirement visa at my home base in Wash DC as I am now 67.

I was hoping that the model train items would be considered a personal hobby item that I have no intention to resell. I just happened to have collected up quite a bit of locos, cars, buildings, etc over a period of 11-12 yrs while I was back in the USA. (I had some model trains when I was a kid, and that experience never leaves you). My thought process was why sell off all this collection at a fire sale in the USA when I might seek to enjoy this hobby again in my retirement. In the US the winter season can bring some weather that keeps you indoors. I figured there were some really hot and rainy times here in Thailand that might be conducive to an indoor hobby as well. Plus it might be real unique to show such miniature models to the some Thai kids, particularly nowadays with the sound effects many of these models have. And there might be some 'older kids'(retirees) here in Thailand that might enjoy memories from their childhood experience with model trains.

Here is some photos of the train layout I built in the USA, and I have now sold off in anticipation of building a new one here in Thailand (have to find a space for that as well).

My link...look under 'railandsail'

...further along in that same forum subject thread you will see some photos of the layout taken apart and placed in a boxvan I have for storage/transportation

Edited by boatguy

I have been involved in air and ocean shipping on the forwarding side for 34 years.

Transport to KK for the container is not a problem. You will need a sideloader truck which can unload the 20' container wherever you want but they are pricy. I would assume 20k to 30k. If you privately own the shipping container it will have to be declared as an imported item and duties and taxes may apply. Your personal effects is another thing you will have to deal with. Thai Royal Customs will most likely require you or your customs broker to attend the examination of the contents. Its possible it will have to be unloaded examined and then repacked which will require labour and a labour charge. I would suggest you attend if they are going to touch or open your goods. You should be aware of the regulations regarding the entry of your personal effects. Even tho the regulations are quite detailed its possible somebody will try to put a tax on some of your goods. You have to be a little sensible as to what u oject to and what u dont. Example if they wanted 20k baht from you for expedience purpose i wud pay it rather than argue the point.

PS most full containers are moved to their ultimate destination in the container after the customs process and then the container is taken back to the container depot. No problem selling the container once yr finished with it just have to advertise it

Well if you have other questions let me know. I can link you with some people if you need

Brgds Mark

Thanks Mark, I may well be contacting you as it appears you are knowledgeable about such things.

If in fact they do move full containers to their ultimate destinations, why is I don't see any on the road around KK, and/or sitting at various businesses being unloaded??

In the USA they have these 'roll-back trucks' that are utilized for broken down cars as well as often transporting small containers. there are also specialized truck beds for moving 20 footer to various spot locations. They don't have similar vehicles here??...only sideloaders as you called them??

The containers themselves have little cylindrical steel rollers on at least one end to facilitate their being hoisted up and down the slanted roll-back bed.

.....If in fact they do move full containers to their ultimate destinations, why is I don't see any on the road around KK, and/or sitting at various businesses being unloaded??

In the USA they have these 'roll-back trucks' that are utilized for broken down cars as well as often transporting small containers. there are also specialized truck beds for moving 20 footer to various spot locations. They don't have similar vehicles here??...only sideloaders as you called them??

The containers themselves have little cylindrical steel rollers on at least one end to facilitate their being hoisted up and down the slanted roll-back bed.

WOW, I just yesterday saw my first container on the road in KK. It was a 40 footer being trucked along Mittaphap Rd. The truck/trailer seemed to be std container transport requiring crane or fort lift unloading.

.....saw this on another forum, posted it as a reference

We moved a 20' container door-to-door five years ago.

We never used an agency for the shipment to Thailand, but dealt directly with Maersk. You need a company name to deal with them direct but we saved a fair bit that way. They handled everything from our house in the UK as far as Laem Chabang. We packed everything ourselves in advance and filled the container when it arrived with the help of a couple of friends. I think they gave us three hours to load it but it only took two. It went via lorry, then train to the port in the UK, then onto the ship.

From Laem Chabang to our home in Khon Kaen we dealt separately with a Thai based company recommended by Maersk called Micro Logistics. They also dealt with customs on our behalf.

Door to door, the total cost was under £1200. That was 5 years ago though, fuel was cheaper and the dollar and baht converted more favorably then.

Paul

Edited by boatguy

.....and this reference

They drop the container off at any UK (mainland) address and pick it up next day, so you have a full day (and night) to fill it up.

The shipping duration takes six weeks as I think it goes from port to port but ends up in Lhamsebang.

Of course you have the Thai end to add to the cost and that would differ from what we pay for our product but agree with Paul, Micro Logistics seem quite capable of handling that end.

There are a fair number of empty containers going back to SE Asia so worth shopping around.

Ian

Brgds Mark

Thanks Mark, I may well be contacting you as it appears you are knowledgeable about such things.

If in fact they do move full containers to their ultimate destinations, why is I don't see any on the road around KK, and/or sitting at various businesses being unloaded??

I dont know why u dont see them but they do go their. lets keep in mind the truckers go to a destination drop off/unload and get back to BKK for there next job. Sideloaders are whats here but note most containers are unloaded and go straight back to the container depot.

• 4 months later...

Has anybody here purchased a sea container in Thailand?

Any ideas on cost?

I am sure there are some retired ones available here for purchase that can be used as a storage facility.

Loads of old containers available on the run from Bangkok to Pattaya - some modified to living / working spaces... never looked at the costs myself but heard a rumour they were around the US$ 1000 mark upwards.

Putting all this to one side, reading the OP comments, why would you want to ship what sounds like a great collection of loved "toys" on the cheap?? IMHO self shipping looks great on paper, but can run into loads of problems and some massive baht "down payments" when the shipment arrives.

Why not contact a reliable household goods moving company and ask them if they can help you. Long term it might be a better investment..

PM me if you need some further details :D

Edited by PNGinBKK

• 2 weeks later...