Banks In Chiang Mai

HowardB

Hi everyone

My apologies if this post has beed done to death.

I'm an Australian resident with Thai wife. We travel to Chiang Mai regular but have never looked at opening a bank account in joint names. Can anyone tell me of a bank in Chiang Mai where I can open an account with minimal fuss, as in Passport and money. I am not looking for advice on the pro's and con's of opening a joint account.

I want to use this account for transferring money from Australia when I buy a condo and general use for when i'm in Thailand.

Howard

Choice any bank that you like you'll have no problem, I recommend the Bangkok Bank on Tha Phae Road. Since your wife is Thai it will make the process alto easier. As I say that if you have a problem because of your visa just go to another bank and some will open an account for you.

Edited by gotlost

Mrs. T and I did just that before moving here. All I had was a tourist visa at the time but were were able to open a joint account. Bangkok Bank, Kad Suan Keaw Branch. I think most branches of most banks in the tourist areas would be used to dealing with such account openings.

I opened an account with a passport, a three month tourist visa, a residence hotel's address card, plus money with Siam Commercial.

No wife, however.

I went to Siam Commercial today with passport and a one year student visa and they wouldn't open an account for me because I didn't have a student ID or work permit. Apparently it's up to the bank officer you ask.

Yes, I think the individual branch managers have leeway in accepting new accounts from people with short-term visas. If you and your wife go in together, with a nice sum of money (we opened our joint BKK acct. with $1000 U.S. cash -- it got their attention), are fairly well groomed and have a story that makes sense, i.e. plan to retire to Thailand soon, then you shouldn't have problems at either the Bangkok Bank on Thapae Rd or the one at KSK. Select the branch that will be closest to where you plan to live since apparently some banking activities can only be done at your "home" office. If you come in looking like a young, smelly, short-term visitor, then they might not co-operate. But, based on your posting HowardB, I don't think that's going to be a problem. Welcome to retirement living Chiang Mai!

Thank you all for your comments and assistance, it's greatly appreciated.

I see most people mention going with a 3 month visa, however I only ever travel on a normal 1 month entry visa. Will this affect my chances?

Thanks

Howard

Some banks yes and some banks no. If you go to a bank and they will not open an account just go to another on and try. Normally you will find a bank that will. Sense you will have your wife with you and she is Thai I do for see any problem.

Thank you all for your comments and assistance, it's greatly appreciated.

I see most people mention going with a 3 month visa, however I only ever travel on a normal 1 month entry visa. Will this affect my chances?

Thanks

Howard

I would imagine having your Thai wife there with you and explain what you said in your opening post "I want to use this account for transferring money from Australia when I buy a condo and general use for when i'm in Thailand." you should be o.k.. :)

oops sorry gotlost. saw yours after I stuck my 2 cents in.

Edited by ThaiWx

I would suggest that you not open an account at Kasikorn bank on Mae Jo road.

They were involved in stealing 250,000 baht from my account :(

Heaven forbid we should name and shame.

How exactly did they steal 250,000 Baht from your account and what was the outcome after you got reported it to the police and took legal action (presumably with a good lawyer)?