Auto Liscense Plate Exchange

mellofello

I recently traded my truck for a car from a Chiangmai auto dealer. The new to me car has CM plates and I need to get CR plates. I found the government building on Sven's map. Is there a way to get custom plate's I see around TH (fee?)

The cost and process is what I need to define before I go there. Can I ask for or look at a few plates numbers (for a fee) prior to getting that plate number?

Unlike most of you guys on this board I do not have a marital translator as my wife is Vietnamese.

Thanks in advance.

Do you really need to change ? Is it a Law requirement ?

I changed plates a few years ago because I modified the vehicle to carry more passengers it was then due a different colour plate and tax by Law.

I changed when the Tax was due, It didnt cost much if anything, maybe a couple of hundred baht for the plate but I think it was free.

Jubby,

Excellent points! I will look into that tomorrow. I do see that the plates are paid until some month in 2554 (written in Thai except the 2554.)

Thanks for your insight. I feel you may be spot on as that was in the back of my mind. The only reason I was considering this is the auto dealer in CM told me "you will have to get CR plates "

mello

I changed plates a few years ago because I modified the vehicle to carry more passengers it was then due a different colour plate and tax by Law.

I changed when the Tax was due, It didnt cost much if anything, maybe a couple of hundred baht for the plate but I think it was free.

perhaps best to get a friend with a Thai wife to pop in the licence place when they are passing and enquire.

Should only take a few minutes. I'd do it myself but i'm probably going to town saturday and I doubt there open

Nice of you to think to offer assistance. I can now go in there and find out without any issues on my mind.

It was the feeling that I Had To change right away that was pushing me to get some information.

We were planning on a drive around day tomorrow in search of a printer to duplicate some old books that have lost their bindings anyway. Might as well go out there and ask without the blue book in my hand and have only a photocopy. I can play dumb as that comes so naturally to me :rolleyes:

Thanks again

Hi Jubby,

Generally they have a few numbers available "off the shelf" if you find one you like then all well and good. They range from about 5k to 30k depending on how lucky the number is. The real pretty ones can go for literally millions. Then there are the annual auctions for the extra special ones e.g. 9999.

If you do buy a plate I was told you get reduced re-registration fees in future years which peaks at 30% after about five years.

By the way, since the whole vehicle registration department is now nation wide you don't need to transfer to CR if you don't want to. You can re-new anywhere.

Cheers

AjarnP

Hello jubby.

Maybe I can help you in your search as well. I happen to have an extra form for applying for the lucky number plates. This form will get you the 30,000 baht plate. I know you have two vehicles, so you can probably just photocopy the form and then fill out one for each vehicle. They will look really nice on your vehicles and will, no doubt, make your ride to any destination more stylish.

If there is anything else we can help you with, just post here. However, I feel kind of bad that you didn't ask in person while you were here the other day. There is no need to put your personal vanities on the public forum. Feel free to confide in me in private in the future.

Hello jubby.

Maybe I can help you in your search as well. I happen to have an extra form for applying for the lucky number plates. This form will get you the 30,000 baht plate. I know you have two vehicles, so you can probably just photocopy the form and then fill out one for each vehicle. They will look really nice on your vehicles and will, no doubt, make your ride to any destination more stylish.

If there is anything else we can help you with, just post here. However, I feel kind of bad that you didn't ask in person while you were here the other day. There is no need to put your personal vanities on the public forum. Feel free to confide in me in private in the future.

Thanks Kd. I aint gonna pay 5 f$#@ing baht for no %$$#@% Number plate . Thank you very much :D

Ajarnp, you got the wrong GUy. I'm inoccent :D

Edited by jubby

Hi jubby.

Okay. Calm down, calm down. You want help, we're trying to help you.

It just so happens that I have another form available. Not sure where all of these forms came from but it appears that they are coming in very handy for you.

Now, today, we have on offer the 25,000 baht plate form. That may actually be what you're looking for. Of course, you lose some prestige every time someone with a 30,000 baht plate drives by you. But, as you're saving 5,000 baht on the plate, we up your prestige a little with a free gift of the little dangling dice cubes to hang from your rear-view mirror. Just let that 30,000 baht plate guy pass you and see that! Envy all over the place!

Let me know when you can stop by and pick up the form. The plate will run you 25,000 baht at the department of vehicles but we have to charge you 5,000 for the form. These things aren't cheap. You see? You really ARE getting a lucky number!

Now, I know what you're going to say and I can tell you here, no thanks is needed. Just buy me and the wife supper at the Meridian sometime and we'll call it even.

Edited by kandahar

Hi jubby.

It just so happens that I have another form available. Not sure where all of these forms came from but it appears that they are coming in very handy for you.

Now, today, we have on offer the 25,000 baht plate from. That may actually be what you're looking for. Of course, you lose some prestige every time someone with a 30,000 baht plate drives by you. But, as you're saving 5,000 baht on the plate, we up your prestige a little with a free gift of the little dangling dice cubes to hang from your rear-view mirror. Just let that 30,000 baht plate guy pass you and see that! Envy all over the place!

Let me know when you can stop by and pick up the form. The plate will run you 25,000 baht at the department of vehicles but we have to charge you 5,000 for the form. These things aren't cheap. You see? You really ARE getting a lucky number!

Now, I know what you're going to say and I can tell you here, no thanks is needed. Just buy me and the wife supper at the Meridian sometime and we'll call it even.

You Crack me up Kd. Even more so than I crack myself up :D

By the way, since the whole vehicle registration department is now nation wide you don't need to transfer to CR if you don't want to. You can re-new anywhere.

Cheers

AjarnP

AjarnP,

In spite of all the humor going on here this little bit of information made my day.

"By the way, since the whole vehicle registration department is now nation wide you don't need to transfer to CR if you don't want to. You can re-new anywhere."

Thanks AjarnP!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jubby,

Generally they have a few numbers available "off the shelf" if you find one you like then all well and good. They range from about 5k to 30k depending on how lucky the number is. The real pretty ones can go for literally millions. Then there are the annual auctions for the extra special ones e.g. 9999.

If you do buy a plate I was told you get reduced re-registration fees in future years which peaks at 30% after about five years.

Cheers

AjarnP

I just recently renewed the registration on my bike in Chiang Rai and I could keep the Bangkok plate. No one mentioned any requirement that it must be changed. The fact also that the plate is desirable because of its number and I am not passing on it, plus the fact that I have no idea how much the plate is worth B)

Edited by Garry

Hi jubby.

Now, today, we have on offer the 25,000 baht plate form. That may actually be what you're looking for. Of course, you lose some prestige every time someone with a 30,000 baht plate drives by you. But, as you're saving 5,000 baht on the plate, we up your prestige a little with a free gift of the little dangling dice cubes to hang from your rear-view mirror. Just let that 30,000 baht plate guy pass you and see that! Envy all over the place!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: