Multiple Entry Vs. Single Entry

It would help if you tell us on what basis you are applying for an O visa...

But I'll give it a go..

If you are sure you will qualify for a 1year extension, then the best one to get would be the single, reason being is that after the initial 90 days you would be applying for the 1 year extension.

If you do not qualify for the 1 year extension, then the multiple is the one for you. You will be permitted to stay for 90 days at each entry, when the 90 days are up you must leave and re-enter the Kingdom.

I would say a major advantage of having the Multiple would be that if you had to travel outside Thailand on a regular basis this would be ideal, if you had just a single entry then every time you leave Thailand you would have to get a re-entry permit..

hope this helps

totster :o

multi entry O is valid for 1 year from when issued, not from first entry into Thailand.

If you re-enter Thailand on the last day that the visa is valid, will get another 90 days, so can be good for up to 15 months in total

if you had just a single entry then every time you leave Thailand you would have to get a re-entry permit..

Well, true, but with single entry, visa is 'used' after your entry, so you're stuck with the 90-day 'admitted until' window you received when you entered Thailand. Yes, you could get a reentry stamp from Immigration to allow you to exit and reenter, but your original 'admitted until' date would not change. And if you left Thailand after 60 days, reentry stamp would be nonsense since you'd have less than 30 days remaining when you reentered -- so might as well just reenter on a 30-day 'visa on arrival.'

Multiple entry Non Imm 'O's aren't always 1-year. My last one was good for only 6-months (Embassy Wash DC), although they charged me the full $125 (my justification: married to a Thai). And latest post on their website shows multiple Non Imm 'O's will now only be issued to "former Thai citizens." So, OP's question may be moot, assuming he's looking at an 'O.'

Poster is 52 and from the US.

He intends on moving to Pattaya in the near future so i would suggest either a Non Immigrant OA before you leave the US this will give you a stay of 1 year upon arrival at Bangkok airport at the end of which time you will need to bring into the country 800k baht to qualify for a further years stay stamp...........renewable indefinetely as long as you have the 800k in the bank here come extension time every year.

Alternatively apply for a single entry Non Imm O before leaving on the grounds of retirement this will give you an intial stay of 90 days upon landing after approx the first 60 days are up you will have to apply for a year extension of stay stamp..............this will require you to bring in the aforementioned 800k to qualify as well as one or two other requirements (medical certificate........available locally. etc)

Advantage of the OA is you postpone bringing money in till the end of the first year........Disadvantage possibly is that you need to show the Embassy/Consulate in the US that you have no criminal record (something not required if you choose the second option)

Only disadvantage with the second option is you need to bring 800k baht into the country within the first 90 days to qualify for the 1 year stamp.

:o

Edit.........almost forgot if you go the OA route and intend to travel in and out of Thailand during the years stay apply for either a single or multiple re-entry permit at the same time you apply for the OA (it will save you hassle later on)

Edited by thaiflyer1

I thought the point of getting a single entry non o was because you'd be applying for a further year's extension within Thailand. On the basis of marriage or retirement, for example.

I don't know the trials and tribulations of visas in the US, but I personally know three people who've being going to Penang for years and getting multi-entry non o's on the basis of marriage or supporting a Thai child. These have always been valid for a year. It suits them as they travel out of Thailand regularly and so need for re-entry permits.

Perhaps things have changed in the States.

Exactly as Totster said.

if you had just a single entry then every time you leave Thailand you would have to get a re-entry permit..

Well, true, but with single entry, visa is 'used' after your entry, so you're stuck with the 90-day 'admitted until' window you received when you entered Thailand. Yes, you could get a reentry stamp from Immigration to allow you to exit and reenter, but your original 'admitted until' date would not change. And if you left Thailand after 60 days, reentry stamp would be nonsense since you'd have less than 30 days remaining when you reentered -- so might as well just reenter on a 30-day 'visa on arrival.'

I was assuming of course that a 1 year extension had been obtained using a single entry visa..

totster :o

• 2 weeks later...
I was assuming of course that a 1 year extension had been obtained using a single entry visa..

I wondered about that *after* I hit enter. :o

I want to thank everyone for their advice. My situation is that I am 52 yrs. old and will get a retirement visa in Thailand after I arrive. I do not have a thai bank account yet and will open one when I arrive in October. Some of the banks will not open an account without a 1 yr visa although I am aware that some will. I just wanted to get a visa until I have fulfilled all the retirement criteria. Any additional help is welcome and thanks again for all your insights.

Eric

I want to thank everyone for their advice. My situation is that I am 52 yrs. old and will get a retirement visa in Thailand after I arrive. I do not have a thai bank account yet and will open one when I arrive in October. Some of the banks will not open an account without a 1 yr visa although I am aware that some will. I just wanted to get a visa until I have fulfilled all the retirement criteria. Any additional help is welcome and thanks again for all your insights.

Eric

If you have any problem getting a non immigrant visa you can do the process with a normal 60 day tourist visa with the additional step of converting it in Bangkok at a cost of 2,000 baht. Many banks will open a basic passbook savings account with any type of visa these days.

Eric

If you have any problem getting a non immigrant visa you can do the process with a normal 60 day tourist visa with the additional step of converting it in Bangkok at a cost of 2,000 baht. Many banks will open a basic passbook savings account with any type of visa these days.

Lopburi, Thank you for the help. Will i be able to convert my 60 day or if I get a non immigrant visa in Pattaya? Must I go to Bangkok as I will be residing in the Jomtien area.

Thanks,

Eric

Eric

Lopburi, Thank you for the help. Will i be able to convert my 60 day or if I get a non immigrant visa in Pattaya? Must I go to Bangkok as I will be residing in the Jomtien area.

Thanks,

Eric

Gee. It's only a two hour drive. :D

I believe you can convert in Pattaya the same as Bangkok. It is a rather new service in the last several years so not as common as other things but it is officially listed on the Immigration web site.

• 2 years later...

I'm a bit confused....I am going to the Thai consulate in Toronto tomorow to apply for a non immigrant B visa. I have all the supporting documents from my new employer who told me that they will be able to provide a work permit once I arrive. My contract is for 1 year. The confusion lies as to whether I should apply for a single or multi entry visa? The employer suggested a multi entry...Can I even be issued a work permit for one year on a multi entry or will I have to re-apply every 90 days upon re-entering Thailand? If issued a one year work permit, do I still need to leave every 90 days? If issued a one year work permit with the multi entry visa followed by a 1 year one year extension, will I actually need re-entry permits if I leave the country. If thats the case then the multi entry visa would be a complete waste of money wouldn't it?

Ideally I would only wish to leave Thailand a couple of times per year for vacations, not every 90 days to do visa runs. The multi entry visa only seems better to me, if the following conditions apply...A one year extension is granted upon secruring a work permit but re-entry permits are not required when leaving Thailand as I still have a multi entry visa. If this was the case, I wouldn't mind paying the extra for that flexibility knowing I don't have to outlay anymore money for Thai visas on entry permits.

The problem is, I don't know if this indeed is the case? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by lambous

If you hold a multi entry B then your WP is only valid until the date stamped into your passport. ( approx 90 days ) You have to leave the Kingdom and re-enter. Your WP would be extended again ( on application at the Labour Office ) until the next 90 day period is expired.

Once you have the extension of stay ( 1 year? ) because you hold the WP...............if you lose your job and the WP is returned........you still have to exit the Kingdom I believe although you can re-enter straight away on the basis of the Multi B.

1. You will most likely not qualify for extension of stay from immigration if your employer is giving you advise to obtain a multi entry visa. You should clear that up before going further. You will be required to leave the country every 90 days if that is the case.

2. If you obtain a one year extension of stay re-entry permits will be required for any travel out of Thailand or the extension ends on departure.

1. You will most likely not qualify for extension of stay from immigration if your employer is giving you advise to obtain a multi entry visa. You should clear that up before going further. You will be required to leave the country every 90 days if that is the case.

Hi Lopburi.

Just to inform you ( as far as Pattaya Imm goes ) they gave me my current 1 year extension even though i still have another 4 months remaining on my multi-imm B.

It may differ at other imm offices obviously.

I don't get the connection? You quote me about a business advising a new employee to obtain a multi entry visa which would normally not be required if he could qualify for extension of stay. You can apply for extension of stay at any time regardless of any visa dates but immigration prefers you to do so during the last month of a permitted to stay stamp. But once you obtain your extension of stay you do not use your visa for entry or your extension becomes invalid. You require a re-entry permit prior to travel.