Dmax Or Vigo?

I am interested in buying a pick-up in the next few weeks and am torn between the Isuzu Dmax and Toyota Hilux Vigo...here is the spec:

Vigo: 3.0G 4WD 4 door. ABS, Alarm/immobiliser, CDMP3 player, 1 years free insurance B836,000 for cash

DMAX: 3.0 Ddi 4WD 4 Door, ABS, Alarm/immobiliser, Cd Player, 1 years free insurance B785,000 for cash

What would you choose? I prefer the look of the DMAX but some people say it may be replaced in February 2006. Also, some say the Isuzu diesels get noisy after a while.

Downside of the Vigo is that the interior is only available in one colour and its a bit plain....is it worth the extra money?

Would really appreciate some comments on this as i'm going out of my mind!!

Cheers

Lob

I am interested in buying a pick-up in the next few weeks and am torn between the Isuzu Dmax and  Toyota Hilux Vigo...here is the spec:

Vigo: 3.0G 4WD 4 door. ABS, Alarm/immobiliser, CDMP3 player, 1 years free insurance B836,000 for cash

DMAX: 3.0 Ddi 4WD 4 Door, ABS, Alarm/immobiliser, Cd Player, 1 years free insurance B785,000 for cash

What would you choose? I prefer the look of the DMAX but some people say it may be replaced in February 2006. Also, some say the Isuzu diesels get noisy after a while.

Downside of the Vigo is that the interior is only available in one colour and its a bit plain....is it worth the extra money?

Would really appreciate some comments on this as i'm going out of my mind!!

Cheers

Lob

Hey mr. lob

i am also trying to decide between these two trucks. I have not had a chance to drive the dmax but my wifes cousin has the new vigo with the 3 litre diesle and I was really impressed. Rides super nice and has wacks of power. So I am leaning towards the vigo. Let me know what you go with and how much you pay as I will be buying in the next few months as well.

Edited by RDN

I've got an 4door 4wd Isuzu , my brother-in-law has a new Vigo. There really is no contest between them at the moment, the Vigo knocks spots off the Isuzu in ride, performance and fuel economy (he's got the 160 bhp version). OK the ride and fuel economy of mine is a bit worse then a 2wd Isuzu, but the Vigo is so much better. The only downside of the Vigo has been stated, it's ugly. It's not that the Isuzu is a bad car just that the Vigo is newer with a more powerful, less thirsty engine and has an improved ride.

I've done about 120,000 km in my Isuzu with no real problems, it is starting to get a bit noisy now though, probably change it for a Fortuna next year.

I tI think most people would say go with the Vigo.

I agree with earlier poster that it is pig ugly but looks better in 4WD form with bigger wheels etc. by the way measure the vehicle, it's not as big as it looks - all pickups in Thailand are virtually the same size.

I think you may be right about Isuzu updating or bringing out a new model. They used to be dearer than Toyota, so this price reduction may be partly due to an effort to shift stocks of the old model.

The Toyota is almost entirely made in Thailand where as some Isuzu parts are still imported, this normally means higher costs.

They have tried to make the Vigo more "car-like" to drive, it has a softer ride and the handling is gentler. The turbo, intercooled engine on the Vigo goes like a rocket too!

Have you checked out the waiting time for the 2 models, some Toyotas have a 5 month waiting list, whereas you can probably get the Isuzu straight off.

At the end of the day pickups here are much of a muchness so neither vehicle should have any major draw-backs.

One thing you might want to consider is that Mitsubishi are very shortly announcing their new model range, I'm told this will include a 170HP 3.2 litre diesel! And the styling looks phenomenal!

Edited by wilko

i just got back from a test drive of the Toyota and Chevrolet (which is the same as the DMAX)

Must say that the Toyota is definately more car-like and drives superbly - did some chicaning and the Chevy was not as responsive....Toyota is winning at the mo....but i'm interested in this new Mitsubishi....i have heard its due to be released soon..and idea where i can find some pics of it?

Cheers

Here you go

The Mitsubishi Triton

post-624-1122008420_thumb.jpg

have to say even the 2 door looks good...

Mitsubishi have been in deep shit and this is a very important vehicle for them. They have always been masters of 4WD and the top range models should be competitively priced to sell against the Vigo. As far as I can tell a large amount of the vehicle will be home produced (Thailand) although no sign of it in the factory yards at the moment ...

Wilko,

Where did you get the info on a 3.2 diesel engine.

The Triton (made in Thailand) has already been released in Oz and NZ

but the engines are 2.8 diesel or 3.0 litre petrol.

The petrol is 133Kw which is about 175bhp

Wilko,

Where did you get the info on a 3.2 diesel engine.

The Triton (made in Thailand) has already been released in Oz and NZ

but the engines are 2.8 diesel or 3.0 litre petrol.

The petrol is 133Kw which is about 175bhp

one of their parts suppliers in Laem Chabang - they could of course be wrong!

For such a nice looking 4WD pick-up, MMC Triton doesn't come with front and rear bumpers or is it likely to be optional?? Any idea what the price is going to be for 175hp, 4 doors, 4WD, ATM Triton?

MMC has been rumored to go bankrupt in Japan since Daimler-Chrysler pulled their capital from that company, and it probably did unless all the other Mitsubishi group companies bailed out with their money which has seen strong resistance from their stock holders for injecting money into a company that is seen as having little or no chance of survival/revival. Their sales has dropped dramatically in the last two years after their repeated cover-ups for recalls and unauthorized public road vehicle tests were exposed by insiders and they lost customer confidence. I haven't come across any Thai person who knows this news but you would be seen as out of your mind for buying any Mitsubishi car if you were in Japan.

BTW one thing Dmax has that doesn't come with Vigo is passenger air bag and leather steering wheel. Or can you get them for option for Vigo?

The mother-in-law has a 4x4 Vigo 4 door. I thought is was nice looking?! I also thought the ride was extremely harsh. But it may be because I am not used to 4x4 trucks. Where she lives, you need a 4x4, and that is what I also intend to have, when I make the move.