Importing Cars From Japan

kav

Hi everyone,

I was thinking about moving to Phuket someday and about a business i could start over here. I used to import cars from Japan to Ireland as a business here at home. I have notice when in Phuket the cars are all more or less the same. I know you cant import a car for personal use in Thailand from research, but can you import cars as a business and sell them in Thailand ?

As you have noticed that the cars are the same what would be the point of importing them? They are imported by the official dealers, or made here and sold by the dealers. If you brought them in as Grey imports who would buy them, especially with the extra import costs you would have to add to the price?

As you have noticed that the cars are the same what would be the point of importing them? They are imported by the official dealers, or made here and sold by the dealers. If you brought them in as Grey imports who would buy them, especially with the extra import costs you would have to add to the price?

The cars in Thailand are the same he means.

so he would like to import some different models.

to answer the OP, I think it is possible but not cheap. I personally wouldnt buy a grey import because of servicing and parts.

You can import nay car you want for yourself or for resale. You are going to pay an 80% of value excise tax based on customs appraisal of the car.

Car cant be older than 2 years.

The car must be brand new, otherwise it cannot be imported, even thought eh custom's webpage suggests otherwise.

• 1 month later...

Re Kav,

regardless of what is posted in here, this is what happens,

You can import new or used cars ( plural ) for your own use or for resale, But remember these points, 1 Customs value the car with Their valuation NOT yours they use Parkers as their guide but this is no gaurentee that is what they will levy you.2 make sure you have an importers licence before the car arrives or they will take it. 3 Check out the web site and you can "crunch" the numbers but allow around 210% taxes and charges on the price they declare the cars value at plus shipping , insurance etc etc etc etc, You can do it as I have just done ( I imported 2 honda s2000;s from Australia ) but trust me if you get anything wrong they WILL crucify you..

Have fun

You can import nay car you want for yourself or for resale. You are going to pay an 80% of value excise tax based on customs appraisal of the car.

The car must be brand new, otherwise it cannot be imported, even thought eh custom's webpage suggests otherwise.

want to buy a USED honda s2000? I have 1 in bangkok for sale 4.9 mil and she's all yours :P.......nice silver ext with red leather only 21000klm...Cheers

want to buy a USED honda s2000? I have 1 in bangkok for sale 4.9 mil and she's all yours :P.......nice silver ext with red leather only 21000klm...Cheers

I'd be most interested to learn how you did this! B)

I thought you have to of owned the car for at least 6 months before you can import it!

I thought you have to of owned the car for at least 6 months before you can import it!

Once again the story as I know it and what various customs brokers advised me over the past couple of years:

USED cars only if you owned them for a while (6 months probably) AND they are shipped together with your personal effects shipment.

NEW cars can be regularly imported.

The catch is, in both cases a permit from the Minstry of Transport is required. We are not aware that this permit has ever been issued.

If you are here on a diplomatic passport, different (easier) rules apply.

Now we have here one board member who claimed it was not a problem for him importing a used vehicle. Again, I'd be interested to know how you managed to do this.