Hsbc Account In Uk, Can I Withdraw Cash Over Counter In Bkk Branch

I have a UK HSBC account. Its a PITA only being able to withdraw cash from ATM machines up to the daily limit, which only translates to about 13K baht.

Can I go to the HSBC branch in Silom and take out more cash than that? Or would I need an account set up here (not going to happen) to do that?

Thx

Before I left the UK I aked the HSBC in my hometown to set up an account in Bangkok. They did that. Then when I wanted to transfer cash to the Bangkok branch they wanted me to pay all the usual trnasfer fees and wait days for the transfer. They wouldn't agree to me simply using the Bangkok branch to withdraw from my UK account. I stick with the Coop, much better.

Based on previous experience, but you would need to recheck with HSBC:

With your HSBC accounts outside Thailand, your ATM/credit cards could potentially be cross-linked to all your accounts.

When in Thailand, you withdraw up to 20K Baht in any one transaction at an appropriate ATM (depending on the logo's on the back of the card matching those on the ATM).

I believe you may have up to 3 attempts to withdraw money from Thai ATMs per card per day i.e. 60K/card/day.

If you have multiple cards (for current, savings and credit card accounts), you can then withdraw, from any of the linked acccounts up to 60K Baht/card/day.

If that isn't sufficient you would probably neeed to do a telex transfer, which may involve visiting the only Thai branch of HSBC (your "local" bank) in Bangkok

Telex transfers can take around 4 days, but may possibly be done faster if funds are needed urgently.

Talk to HSBC - Depending on your relationship with HSBC charges may not be a problem.

I get an SMS message for each transaction at the time and, if what you are doing is a significant unusual activity on your account, you may even merit a call from HSBC.

Thanks, but I only have one card and one account with HSBC .....

Oh well, guess I'll just take it out the "old-fashioned" way, 13K baht at a time.

BTW, its not 20K at a time, its the UK limit which for my card is 300 UKP. Which is around 13.5K baht. Off to the ATM :)

I have read elsewhere that if you have a savings account with a Thai bank, you can use your UK ATM card to place funds in the Thai account. You need your pass book, passport & UK ATM card, and you do it at one of the desks (foreign exchange ??) in your branch, not at the counter. I believe the transfer is done in a few minutes, as though you'd made a purchase on your UK card. You can then use your Thai ATM card as normal.

I have no idea about exchange rate used (probably UK bank rate) or the charges involved. In theory this should also bypass the daily cash withdrawal limit.

I'm going to give this a test when I arrive later this year.

Hope this helps

Edited by sandmike

A letter of introduction from HSBC UK helps facilitate over the counter transaction withdrawal. ATM withdrawal, you are stuck with their system but you can raise the limit of your card prior to travel. I set mine at 100k as I have to draw to meet business expenses daily and no problem.