Expatting It On Koh Chang?

Hairy

I am in a fairly portable licensed profession that can mostly be done over the internet. (The non-"mostly" part, I can maintain an office in the U.S. for.) I'm seriously thinking about getting out of the U.S. permanently.

How difficult is it for a working foreigner to get a longterm visa to Thailand, rent a house with internet on Koh Chang, and just camp out on the beach when not writing stuff for customers? What are costs like? I'm not looking for fancy. A concrete/tile box, with water, gas, electric, and internet is about all I need as far as infrastructure. I rather liked the Lonely Beach area when I was there a couple of years ago.

Also, is there much expat presence on the island, and is there any demand for a foreign tutor/teacher (math through multivariate calculus, computer science, English, U.S. history, U.S. legal system)?

• Like 1

is there any demand for a foreign tutor/teacher (... U.S. history, U.S. legal system)?

Probably about the same demand as there is in the U.S. for teachers of Thai history or the Thai legal system.

Firstly, the internet connection in Koh Chang is <deleted> and at the end of the island I am, we are constantly having problems.

I have been working on Koh Chang for just over a month now, following a transfer personally I don't like the place at all - overpriced, bad planning, poor roads, over rated beaches and not easily accessible . I was in Lonely Beach last night (an apt name), and it was like a ghost town, although I expect in a month or so numbers of tourists will increase. The prob with Koh Chang, is that for 6 months of the year it is dead.

As a holiday destination for maybe 4 or 5 days it is probably quite nice, but think carefully about actually setting up here as a "permanent base" in Thailand.

Strangely enough US History or the ins and outs of the American legal system aren't topics that pop up in conversation here on the island.

The reason is obvious . . there is no-one with sufficient qualifications to teach these subjects to the locals and thus feed their never ending appetite for knowledge.

A house with internet will be the biggest problem. But could just tether your mobile to a laptop and connect that way regardless of where you are. Fine for regular websurfing but you wont be downloading movies.

Hope you would seriously consider living a year on Lonely Beach. I know that'd do my head in as I like a good, long, empty beach and peace and quiet.

Hope you would seriously consider living a year on Lonely Beach. I know that'd do my head in as I like a good, long, empty beach and peace and quiet.

That would be my thoughts exactly. Ian, I've not spent much time on Koh Chang only a month and a half so I am probably not the best person for giving advice, especially as it is a place that I am not overly keen on, however - for the OP he may find Kai Bae or Whitesands a little more livable if he actually made the decision to come. Think the allure of Lonely Beach would soon rub off, if you was living there day in day out. At least the other places I mentioned have a few other things going on.

Now the big decision, where do I go to watch football this evening?

That would be my thoughts exactly. Ian, I've not spent much time on Koh Chang only a month and a half so I am probably not the best person for giving advice, especially as it is a place that I am not overly keen on, however - for the OP he may find Kai Bae or Whitesands a little more livable if he actually made the decision to come. Think the allure of Lonely Beach would soon rub off, if you was living there day in day out. At least the other places I mentioned have a few other things going on.

Hi If you would consider somewhere other than Koh Chang, can i suggest around Ban Phe. We have a beach house nearby and are hoping to rent it or rent rooms this winter. It has internet, en-suite bedrooms and 300 metres from beach. At Ban Phe is an English school(runs TEFL courses) maybe a source of employment. If at all interested let me know and i can provide further info and photos.

Hi If you would consider somewhere other than Koh Chang, can i suggest around Ban Phe. We have a beach house nearby and are hoping to rent it or rent rooms this winter. It has internet, en-suite bedrooms and 300 metres from beach. At Ban Phe is an English school(runs TEFL courses) maybe a source of employment. If at all interested let me know and i can provide further info and photos.

Sounds nice, maybe the OP will be interested.

<br /><font color="#1C2837"><font size="2"></font></font>
<font color="#1C2837"><font size="2">is there any demand for a foreign tutor/teacher (... U.S. history, U.S. legal system)?</font></font>
<br /><font color="#1C2837"><font size="2"><br /></font></font><br /><font color="#1C2837"><font size="2">Probably about the same demand as there is in the U.S. for teachers of Thai history or the Thai legal system.</font></font><br />

This is why I prefaced that question by asking about expats on the island -- in the event that they might want their kids taught. Oh well.

<br /><font color="#1C2837"><font size="2"></font></font>
<font color="#1C2837"><font size="2">is there any demand for a foreign tutor/teacher (... U.S. history, U.S. legal system)?</font></font>
<br /><font color="#1C2837"><font size="2"><br /></font></font><br /><font color="#1C2837"><font size="2">Probably about the same demand as there is in the U.S. for teachers of Thai history or the Thai legal system.</font></font><br />

This is why I prefaced that question by asking about expats on the island -- in the event that they might want their kids taught. Oh well.

Hairy, I don't know about others - I am working on the Island, but my daughter goes to school in Bangkok. I would not, and will not relocate my family to this island. Maybe there are a few expats around that would pay for some tuition, but you may find that it is pretty sporadic and a very limited amount of people as potential clients. Might be worth contacting some of the high end hotels though.