Bangkok Bus Driver Shot By Angry Passenger

webfact

Bus driver shot by angry passenger

By The Nation on Sunday

A bus driver was in a serious condition last night after he was shot by an angry passenger in Bangkok yesterday morning.

Reports said Passada Pu-ngerndao, 50, the driver of a number 1075 bus, refused to stop in front of Soi Amornpan despite a request from the passenger to do so. He allegedly said he could not stop there because it had no bus stop.

Comments by the driver are believed to have angered the passenger before he got off at a bus stop near Kasetsart University.

Later, after the bus reached its terminal at Wat Samien Naree and Passada began a new route from the temple, he was shot by the passenger when the bus arrived at a bus stop near Phong Phet market.

The passenger, aged around 20, fired four bullets at the bus driver. He was accompanied by a few friends, and they fled to cross a flyover and took a taxi to escape along Vibhavadi Road.

The bullets hit Passada in neck, left arm and left leg. He was rushed to Phra Nang Klao Hospital. Police found a .38 bullet on the bus.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-09-26

I could think of many reasons to shoot bus drivers but not one would be for failing to stop at a bus stop! Given they stop anywhere they feel like, middle of the road with no care for passengers alighting or safety, drive like maniacs, push and shove, yes, there are many bus drivers who have no right to be driving but this guy must have been a newbie. Nonetheless, the people who were involved in the shooting should be brought to justice and a heavy penalty as this driver probably only earns about 5-7,000 a month. No-one deserves a bullet and this guy could well be a family man whose family depend on him.

I could think of many reasons to shoot bus drivers

A standard joke between me and my wife is (when a bus driver/songtaew driver does something courteous like indicating you should go before him, giving way at a junction/roundabout or acknowledging your own politeness with a wave) to say

" He's new. They'll soon teach him "

"The passenger, aged around 20, fired four bullets at the bus driver. He was accompanied by a few friends, and they fled to cross a flyover and took a taxi to escape along Vibhavadi Road."

And how does that happen? Taxi driver didn't notice a bunch of young guys running away from a probably hectic scene at the bus and think "What is wrong here?"

"The passenger, aged around 20, fired four bullets at the bus driver. He was accompanied by a few friends, and they fled to cross a flyover and took a taxi to escape along Vibhavadi Road."

And how does that happen? Taxi driver didn't notice a bunch of young guys running away from a probably hectic scene at the bus and think "What is wrong here?"

They did have a gun....

The taxi driver needed the money!! TiT. But I dont understand is the shooter the same guy that the driver had an argument with? Im a bit confused, as always! 55555. Four shots, that sounds like attempted murder, not just playing around, what were they thinking, or dont they think? Trying to kill a bus driver just for fun, I hope his friends do some time with him, im sure they had a good laugh.

I think it's more a case of not giving a F&%K.

They did have a gun....

I could think of many reasons to shoot bus drivers but not one would be for failing to stop at a bus stop! Given they stop anywhere they feel like, middle of the road with no care for passengers alighting or safety, drive like maniacs, push and shove, yes, there are many bus drivers who have no right to be driving but this guy must have been a newbie. Nonetheless, the people who were involved in the shooting should be brought to justice and a heavy penalty as this driver probably only earns about 5-7,000 a month. No-one deserves a bullet and this guy could well be a family man whose family depend on him.

So true! Everyday these buses are the most craziest idiots that drive like they think they are on a motorbike not realizing the difference between a motorbike and a bus yet. But hey for being shot for doing the RIGHT thing, i.e., for only stopping at a REAL bus stop! Now that's different! Perhaps that's why they just do whatever, in fear of doing the RIGHT thing, some idiot may just do something really stupid to them, so to avoid argument do whatever they are asked? For only a few thousand Baht a month I wouldn't stick my head out in case some idiot did something as bizarre as this.

Hope they catch the creep that did this, it's just absurd to shoot someone for forcing some lazy twit just to walk a little bit further. Crazy stuff, crazy place in some ways!

No one deserves to be shot.

But if I were a bus driver with the back of my head to a bus load of sardine-packed people, I probably would not mouth off to unruly passengers. Just politely state your reason, apologize for the inconvenience and keep driving.

Either that or all city buses should have driver-controlled eject buttons.

There is a "complete lack of respect for human life" theme sort of happening over here on this side of the planet. Somethings are worth dying for or killing for that we (as foreigners) could not begin to comprehend. Things like loss of face....it's huge...over here.

before he got off at a bus stop near Kasetsart University.
he was shot by the passenger when the bus arrived at a bus stop near Phong Phet market.
The passenger got off near Kasetsart University, so how did he get near Phong Phet market to shoot the driver?

I guess he got off, rounded up some mates then decided to ambush the bus on its return journey.

No one deserves to be shot.But if I were a bus driver with the back of my head to a bus load of sardine-packed people, I probably would not mouth off to unruly passengers. Just politely state your reason, apologize for the inconvenience and keep driving.Either that or all city buses should have driver-controlled eject buttons.

In London buses the drivers collect the fares. They are screened off from passengers to protect them from being spat at. Whether the screens are bullet proof is another matter.

I think it's more a case of not giving a F&%K.

They did have a gun....

Well no...

Shoot bus driver.

Run over to the other side of the road.

Taxi coming is hardly going to notice the commotion around a parked bus through 8 lanes of moving traffic.

Or is it 10 lanes on Viphawadee...

I could think of many reasons to shoot bus drivers but not one would be for failing to stop at a bus stop!...

According to the newspaper article this bus driver got shot because he refused to stop at a place that was not a bus stop.

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=118093398821998237674.00049125fbfaf61f34ff0&ll=13.839979,100.574443&spn=0.000912,0.00114&z=19&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small>View <a href="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=118093398821998237674.00049125fbfaf61f34ff0&ll=13.839979,100.574443&spn=0.000912,0.00114&z=19&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">Amonphan, Bangkok</a> in a larger map</small>

Amazing stuff. I have noticed that things here sometimes escalate from a 'NOTHING' to a 'CODE RED' over virtually nothing.

Much like America. Except it would have been the bus driver shooting the passengers. :D

Only if he was a part time driver and full time postal worker.

Amazing stuff. I have noticed that things here sometimes escalate from a 'NOTHING' to a 'CODE RED' over virtually nothing.

I was wondering how long it would be before someone tried to politicize this thread... :lol:

Definately not my intention :bah::lol: , I shall take more care in the future.

Suspect he didnt have the gun when he was on the bus but went and got it and a few friends to show what a tough hero he is.

The 'friends' will all be telling their friends, as soon as they get some booze in them, and soon there will be a 'tip off' and hero will be on the inside looking out.

How many lives does a stupid act like this stuff up?

The driver and his family to start with.

Then the perpetrator and his family.

And possibly the others (cheer leaders) who were with him as they could probably be charged with something as well.

Streight out idiocy but not confined to T L as road rage incidents in many countries show.

Wonder if what is on Thai soaps influance actions like this?

No one deserves to be shot.

I cringe at blanket statements like this. Not dissimilar to the 'I wouldn't wish such 'n such on my worst enemy'. Lots of people need to be shot. That sick &lt;deleted&gt; in Pai for starters, while that Kim guy from the DPRK should also be high on the list. Absolutely nothing wrong with purging this beautiful planet of wastes of space such as these.

To make it proper, one should slip 'innocent' in there, as this poor bus driver clearly is. Hope he pulls through and they catch the little perp and plonk him in front of a firing squad. Mass executions is the way to go to deter wannabe tough nuts with peashooters. ;)

Funny. Just trying to be a little sorry for the guy (even if I despise the majority of the middle-lane-stopping bus drivers in Thailand), civil, and pc. But basically, you took the thought right out of my head.

I could think of many reasons to shoot bus drivers but not one would be for failing to stop at a bus stop!...

According to the newspaper article this bus driver got shot because he refused to stop at a place that was not a bus stop.

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=118093398821998237674.00049125fbfaf61f34ff0&ll=13.839979,100.574443&spn=0.000912,0.00114&z=19&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small>View <a href="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=118093398821998237674.00049125fbfaf61f34ff0&ll=13.839979,100.574443&spn=0.000912,0.00114&z=19&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">Amonphan, Bangkok</a> in a larger map</small>

I usually take a bus to go to work, many, many times I see people at the bus stop trying to stop a bus that doesn't stop there, they even walk across two lanes of traffic to get to the bus and ask to be let in. Those people never bother to take a look at the sign with the bus numbers that stop there or know about it but still want to flag down any bus as if it would be a taxi.

After the govt getting rid of the rotten green buses which out of control ,driving dangerously and now the new orange mini buses which now are the same . they are racing honking the horns and on the outside lanes and abruptly swinging in often causing near accidents .

My wife took our car to be serviced and decided to return on one of these buses . she ended up yelling at the at the way he was driving and not stopping at the bus stop but stopping further down in the middle lane and the passengers had to cross through moving traffic which is a common sight in Bangkok.

I was wondering how long it would be before someone tried to politicize this thread... :lol:

Definately not my intention :bah::lol: , I shall take more care in the future.

Lets not shoot the messenger. He was not disparging the Thai people, just making an observation, which, unfortunately, is all too true...