5-Year Driving Licence Renewal

nam-thip

Renewing my 5-year motorbike licence.

Wednesday September 22nd 2010

Here is a list of what you need to change your expired 5-year licence to a new 5-year licence.

1. Completed application form, which you collect at the entrance to the licencing centre (1 for car, 1 for motorbike).

2. Resident Certificate from immigration (200 baht at Chonburi/Pattaya immigration).

3. Your old licence.

4. Your passport.

5. Medical Certificate from any clinic (100 baht).

6. Photo copy of passport picture page (signed).

7. Photo copy of page with your most recent entry stamp with your current “Stay to” date (signed).

8. Photo copy of your 1-year visa (signed).

Note: You cannot get a 5-year license on a tourist visa; they will only give you another 1-year licence.

9. 655 baht for the 5-year car license

10. 405 baht for the 5-year motorbike license.

It will be two of everything if you’re applying for both licences at the same time.

After checking my application papers at the entrance desk the medical certificate and photo copy of my 1-year visa were handed back and a ticket number issued.

You then go upstairs and watch the TV screen for you number to be called.

My 5-year motorbike licence expired in early July whilst I was in the UK and the fact it was over two months expired didn’t seem to make any difference at the centre. In addition the address on my old licence was not the same as my new address and I thought for that I would incur a fine but I didn’t.

To renew a 5-year licence you will have to take the colour and reaction tests which takes about an hour as it’s somewhat disorganized, TIT.

I argued with the lady that I only wanted to renew my 5-year licence and was the test really necessary but she was having none of it saying anyone renewing a 5-year licence and in possession of a 5-year licence will be subjected to the vision and reaction test.

Out of curiosity I sat close to her desk and sure enough farang or Thai you was told you had to do the vision and reaction tests.

Thinking back I remembered when I renewed my 5-year car licence I had to do the same.

I entered the building at 9am and was all done and dusted by 10.30am.

Those going from a 1-year tempory licence to their first 5-year licence where not subjected to the tests.

After completing the vision and reaction tests first timers were given a book to read then sent into a classroom to sit answering questions on a computer.

Hope this info helps someone.

• Like 1

I renewed my car licence last year, and my bike licence this month. Both previous licences were for 5 years. As they take the photographs to digitally appply to the new licence I didn't need to take photgraphs. I am certain that my licences cost less than the prices you quoted. My medical certificate cost 30 Bt.

With regards to a farang licence being expired for a while before you go to renew it I was told by the person in Pattaya's licencing centre that I dealt with a few years ago that a farang can renew a licence anytime up to one year after expiry. They accept that we may be out of the country for a while.

The reason those going from 1 year to 5 year didn't have to do the colour/reaction tests is these were introduced last year so we had already done them to get our 1 year licence, those renewing the 5 year licences have not done the tests before.

The reason those going from 1 year to 5 year didn't have to do the colour/reaction tests is these were introduced last year so we had already done them to get our 1 year licence, those renewing the 5 year licences have not done the tests before.

Not correct I'm afraid.

The vision and reaction tests were in force when I got my 1-year licence back in 2004. When I subsequently got my 5-year licence I didn't have to repeat them. A new medical certificate wasn't required either.

My 5-year licence is up for renewal in December this year so whether or not I have to do the tests I don't know.

DM

Yes The vision and reaction tests were in force in Nonthaburi when I got my 1-year licence in 2004. I didn't have to repeat them when I got my 5-year licence . A new medical certificate I took and handed in

My 5-year licence is up for renewal in December this year so will see if I have to do the tests again, I expect yes.

Something silly... Doing the colour test was hopeless.... No one before me + Lady said nothing so failed twice... Thankfully a young Thai man came up and told me I was doing it wrong... I was putting my chin on the board/rest then could not see the lights... Correct way to to put your nose on the board/rest... :D Passed as now I could see the coloured lights.

The most difficult part is untangling you legs from under the Desk if you much taller than a 6 Year Old Kid.:jap: .

..that maybe part of the 'reaction test' seeing how quickly you can get untangled from the wreckage!

PS. You can apply up to 90 days prior to you current licence expiring.

I renewed my car licence last year, and my bike licence this month. Both previous licences were for 5 years. As they take the photographs to digitally appply to the new licence I didn't need to take photgraphs. I am certain that my licences cost less than the prices you quoted. My medical certificate cost 30 Bt.

With regards to a farang licence being expired for a while before you go to renew it I was told by the person in Pattaya's licencing centre that I dealt with a few years ago that a farang can renew a licence anytime up to one year after expiry. They accept that we may be out of the country for a while.

As you can see from the attached receipt i paid 305 baht plus 100 baht tax which is 405 baht in total.

you are correct about not needing to take any photographs with you and is the reason they are not on my list of requirements.

The cost of a medical certificate will vary from clinic to clinic and last year at my wifes recommendation (Grrrrr) i went to what she claimed was a clinic for Thai people and would be cheaper and got ripped off to the tune of 150 baht.

Renewing your expired licence up to one year after expiry might be correct.

post-36162-078403000 1285562567_thumb.jp

Thats not correct as i did the reaction tests when i applied for my very first licence.

i completed the paper and driving skills tests for both car and motorbike 12 years ago at the Phuket licencing centre.

Edited by nam-thip

Not correct I'm afraid.

The vision and reaction tests were in force when I got my 1-year licence back in 2004. When I subsequently got my 5-year licence I didn't have to repeat them. A new medical certificate wasn't required either.

My 5-year licence is up for renewal in December this year so whether or not I have to do the tests I don't know.

DM

My medical certificate was handed back to me at the front desk with no explanation.

When i renewed my 5-year car licence they took the medical certificate from me....................Confusing?...............It was to me so better to have one than not have one and is the reason i left it as a requirement on my list.

Going from my 1-year temporary licence to my first 5-year licence i never did the vision and reaction tests but for the 5-year to 5-year licenes i had to take them as did everyone else.

Those going from a 1-year to a 5-year licence never took the tests.

Thanks for the info I got to do in the end of July another 5 years. Do they still have the stupid perception test with the 2 marks you have to line up? And the backwards brake for the stop?

Thanks for the post!

Yes they still have the stop in the green light zone brake test and the two sticks test which you have to line up.

We might laugh at these tests but it raises the question of iff they had them back in the UK where i come from many people would fail and be taken off the road.

Would that be such a bad thing?

I can think of one person i know who should not be driving a car and the reaction tests would find that person out.

Edited by nam-thip
  • Like 1

what visa do i need to update my 1 year licence to a 5 year if a tourist visa will not do, first time ive heard this? :blink:

You need a 1-year 'O' visa at the very least to go from a 1-year temporary licence to a 5-year licence.

As soon as you get to the licencing centre outside of Pattaya the first thing they ask for at the front desk is your passport to see which type of visa you have.

On a tourist visa you must renew annually and cannot get a 5-year licence.

The 1-year to 1-year licence renewal process will include the usual eyesight/reaction tests.

Thanks for the info I got to do in the end of July another 5 years. Do they still have the stupid perception test with the 2 marks you have to line up? And the backwards brake for the stop?

Thanks for the post!

Yes they still have the stop in the green light zone brake test and the two sticks test which you have to line up.

We might laugh at these tests but it raises the question of iff they had them back in the UK where i come from many people would fail and be taken off the road.

I can think of one person i know who should not be driving a car and the reaction tests would find that person out.

Unfortunately 5 Thais & 3 Farangs failed the same test. The problem is the sticks are more archaic than an old Atari game console & even with 20-30 I couldn't see what they wanted me to do till I failed for the 4th time & she let me go up & see the lines to align.

And I can't see how they can consider that any sort of reaction time or depth perception test. I drove cars for competition for more than 30 years & if they were serious about depth perception & reaction time they would invest 10,000 baht on a ps2-3 x box or wii & get either a flight simulator or a drive program. Feel like I should have a club to smash the wench & drag her back to the cave with the futile exercise & the backward brake petal ,.great idea make it harder for Thai people while they are gabbing away on there cell phone they can use there modified brake petals & ram into oncoming traffic with their trucks. Kind of sends the wrong message.I wonder if they even know it is assembled backwards. My Kawasaki boss new came with the front fender on backwards & had 1/4 " clearance on the front & almost 3" in the back. Must be the same dolts that put it together.The rest of the test is relatively easy Not one question about motorcycles for the MC test. TIT

reaction test for a car 5 yrs ago was sitting on a machine, when the green light came on accelerate, when the red light appears brake. My stopping time was very good maybe to good ? she got me to do it again, then noticed I used my left foot to brake.. NO NO must use right foot...

Why ? I have a manual pickup and a Automatic car, for years in many types of Automatics I am as comfortable using left foot or right foot braking.. Passed as there was very little difference using my right foot as opposed to my left.

Edited by ignis

Thanks for the post!

Unfortunately 5 Thais & 3 Farangs failed the same test. The problem is the sticks are more archaic than an old Atari game console & even with 20-30 I couldn't see what they wanted me to do till I failed for the 4th time & she let me go up & see the lines to align.

And I can't see how they can consider that any sort of reaction time or depth perception test. I drove cars for competition for more than 30 years & if they were serious about depth perception & reaction time they would invest 10,000 baht on a ps2-3 x box or wii & get either a flight simulator or a drive program. Feel like I should have a club to smash the wench & drag her back to the cave with the futile exercise & the backward brake petal ,.great idea make it harder for Thai people while they are gabbing away on there cell phone they can use there modified brake petals & ram into oncoming traffic with their trucks. Kind of sends the wrong message.I wonder if they even know it is assembled backwards. My Kawasaki boss new came with the front fender on backwards & had 1/4 " clearance on the front & almost 3" in the back. Must be the same dolts that put it together.The rest of the test is relatively easy Not one question about motorcycles for the MC test. TIT

That alignment thingy was a test used way back, WW2 era for US fighter pilots. I remember a 1940's war film with Clarke Gable arguing a point with the boss and to prove his point turned his back to the machine, bent over and looked between his legs with the two strings and lined up the pointers. Perhaps you can see that a fighter pilots responses are required for a farang on Thai roads.:lol:

When l took the test and saw the machine Clarke Gables grin came on my face. :D

You're right I remember the old ww2 setup now. Driving in LOS is akin to a Nascar race except with the worst drivers on the road . No wonder the sticks feel old. Time to update in the 2000's!

I think this thread just shows how confusing applying for or renewing anything in Thailand can be. When i first applied for my license i bought everything but the kitchen sink . I had to do the reaction test as well as complete the Thai version of the highway code. Was via computer and roughly translated, but even though multi choice it took me 3 times to pass ( most questions i got wrong regarded giving way ??? ) you have to get 24 out of 30 for a pass.

When i went for the 5 year I needed a medical certificate, my work permit and passport and that was it, took 15 minutes, paid same price mentioned earlier and when i got back to work I realised that the license was for 6 years ( obviously the lady put in wrong year ), got stopped by BIB last week and took the ticket, but no-one mentioned the wrong date on the license when i went to pay the fine...TIT:rolleyes:

P.S I applied both times at the centre just down from On-Nut, i think not everywhere is the same

I think this thread just shows how confusing applying for or renewing anything in Thailand can be. When i first applied for my license i bought everything but the kitchen sink . I had to do the reaction test as well as complete the Thai version of the highway code. Was via computer and roughly translated, but even though multi choice it took me 3 times to pass ( most questions i got wrong regarded giving way ??? ) you have to get 24 out of 30 for a pass.

When i went for the 5 year I needed a medical certificate, my work permit and passport and that was it, took 15 minutes, paid same price mentioned earlier and when i got back to work I realised that the license was for 6 years ( obviously the lady put in wrong year ), got stopped by BIB last week and took the ticket, but no-one mentioned the wrong date on the license when i went to pay the fine...TIT:rolleyes:

P.S I applied both times at the centre just down from On-Nut, i think not everywhere is the same

The 5 year one goes to your Birthday... I exchanged my 1 yr to the 5 yr on 3rd March my license runs out this December 28 on my Birthday so have 5 years and almost 10 months.

I will be renewing my 5 year license next year, and I DID those tests before!

That was very helpful information; thank you.

Renewing my 5-year motorbike licence.

Wednesday September 22nd 2010

Here is a list of what you need to change your expired 5-year licence to a new 5-year licence.

1. Completed application form, which you collect at the entrance to the licencing centre (1 for car, 1 for motorbike). I didn't need this

2. Resident Certificate from immigration (200 baht at Chonburi/Pattaya immigration). I paid 600 THB for 2 licenses, bike and car at immigration

3. Your old licence.Yes

4. Your passport. Yes

5. Medical Certificate from any clinic (100 baht). Yes and for 2 licenses

6. Photo copy of passport picture page (signed).Yes

7. Photo copy of page with your most recent entry stamp with your current “Stay to” date (signed).Yes

8. Photo copy of your 1-year visa (signed). Yes

Note: You cannot get a 5-year license on a tourist visa; they will only give you another 1-year licence. True

9. 655 baht for the 5-year car license I paid 900 THB for both my licenses, both 5 years

10. 405 baht for the 5-year motorbike license.

I don't if the price varies, but this is what i paid only one week ago. I didn't have to do any of the test again, just went there waited in line for half a hour and then i had my new 5 year licenses :)

• 7 months later...

I went yesterday and was told I didn't need the medical certificates, I also needed a copy of the old licences as well as the actual licence.

The place was rammo, took me 4 hours, otherwise pretty easy, typical unorgnaised chaos but then it all seems to happen and come together and i'm done - ha ha - TIT!!

My licence expired on my birthday in January and now the new ones expire in 5 years from my next birthday so the licences are valid for 5 years and 8 months - good times!!!

Jimmy