Big C Pattaya Thai

Lancelot

Earlier today, around 1330 I went to Big C Pattaya Thai and parked my bike in the parking lot, locked my Index full face helmet under the seat and went shopping. I was gone for about 30 minutes and when I returned I saw that the helmet was gone and only cut end of the chin stap attached to the D ring remaing. Funny, they even cut off the other (locking) end as well. No the brightest of thiefs but they still got my helmet...

Not the end of the world, the helmet was an Index, about B1,100 new but I was suprised that some jerk would steal it in day light, in plain view of every one.

I suppose that the helmet would fetch B500 in some second hand market, enough for a yaba tab :rolleyes:

Whose to say it was a Thai ? it could of been one of the farang pensioners whose measly pensions have been hit by the exchange rates and they looking for cash to finance their next few bottles of Chang or a short time with one of the ladies on beach road....:lol:

Two friends of mine have had helmets stolen at Big C; another at Carrefour.

At Big C, one knew to take the helmet with her rather than leave it on the bike. Then she forgot it in the bathroom. Ten minutes later, when she remembered, it was of course gone.

My helmet, though an import, is so scruffy now that nobody would bother it. In fact, I suggest intentionally distressing the paint on a new helmet to make it look old and undesirable. Got an Arai? Put Index stickers on it. Helmet thieves would figure, why steal that old piece of crap over all the new ones just sitting around on the vine?

Two friends of mine have had helmets stolen at Big C; another at Carrefour.

At Big C, one knew to take the helmet with her rather than leave it on the bike. Then she forgot it in the bathroom. Ten minutes later, when she remembered, it was of course gone.

My helmet, though an import, is so scruffy now that nobody would bother it. In fact, I suggest intentionally distressing the paint on a new helmet to make it look old and undesirable. Got an Arai? Put Index stickers on it. Helmet thieves would figure, why steal that old piece of crap over all the new ones just sitting around on the vine?

Ummm, I'll bet many helmet thieves could determine an Arai helmet. My stolen helmet was a plain old full face Index, that I bought new for B1,100. I never left it hanging on the bike, I always locked the metal D ring to the peg under the seat, thinking that the bad boys would not bother to cut the strap. I now know I was wrong :D

For the guys with expensive helmets, I'd not leave it on the bike. You might be ok with a small chain through the visor opening, then lock that to something on the bike. It just suprised me when I came out and saw the cut end of the strap remaing to the D ring and the strap lock (female end of chin strap) lying beside my bike. Couldn't figure out why they cut the strap lock off when they already had the helmet by cutting the locked end (D ring). In other words, the chin strap has two ends, one end was locked under the seat -which they cut- but they also cut off the free end. :D

Edited by Lancelot

pretty easy to figure out why they cut both ends ... get them re-stitched for 40 baht and you got yourself a functioning helmet...although the guy who left the d ring fixed to bike sounds pretty stupid..

on another note, if you want a proper helmet, go for a d-ring opposed to the clip type which will more than likely fail in a crash. REAL seem to make a pretty decent helmets these days within budget

Edited by William Osborne