Pigs 101 (A Start)

IsaanAussie

them boars will end up fighting through them bars,,!

and going back to raver,

not all " moo baan " feed ram, we never give any of our pigs ram we buy our feed direct from a feed mill at cost price,

yeah o both accounts. theyl fight and i know.but if u dont mix ur feed with ram, you can try to market your pigs as a different class, not moo baan.

thats what we do we sell at halfway between moo baan and cp price.

• Like 1

yeah o both accounts. theyl fight and i know.but if u dont mix ur feed with ram, you can try to market your pigs as a different class, not moo baan.

thats what we do we sell at halfway between moo baan and cp price.

What are current rates for Moo baan and CP?

the farm is in a right state at the mo, loads of welding needs doing and our main welding guy is super busy at present....... loads of complete stalls that have been "pecked" apart by

unfriendly mums to be..... one just last night, moved some pre AI's into position for this morning and within two hours a complete box gone.......... some strength in those snouts.

got a parity 9 mum birthing at the mo, might be finished, 19 born alive, just hoping she has got one more because I can not remember the last we had at 20 alive, its been a long time. this mum has never given us less then 13 alive, a good mum! got one more birth for today, hope its during the day.......... In the last month we have not had one mum give birth during the late night early morning, its gotta be a record for us...... that's over 50 births too.

boars can live together without killing each other, was at a gilt farm the other week and they had 6 or 7 very large beasts all in one pen, always like this..... our 2 on the other hand are kept well apart,

as far as we can, if they even see-smell each other is murders, even though the bars. had one break out of its box and break into the others box afew years ago, it was not a good situation to be in first thing in the morning.

the boss (wife) has twisted some arms and the welders are in today! they even turned up early.........

had the boyz in yesterday (company workers) scanning the pigs to check with baby or not. 4 weeks worked checked (54 mums) all good. they can scan-see

mass from 25 days in. not really any good because you want to be sure before the 20th day. the wife is good at this, spots 99 percent of mums without

baby by the 20th day. good to have the scan though, the company have been working the boyz harder this year, scans all the way through this year so far.

this helps them pre sell the piglets....

2 mums in labour at the mo and had 3 births yesterday. no big birth numbers just the normal 10 - 14 alive.... got 2 or 3 more that should be out today. busy at present because we had a quite week last week. working towards the 6 month end at the mo, finish on the 15th june. then its number crunch time and

the bonus amount.

• Like 1

glad you got your welders in mate,

im ok on that, i was a welder by trade, but its hot work here, i can remember years ago welding in brazil,,, ill stick to inspection now,

like reading your reports, im very glad alls going well for you,

jake

thankyou jake.

I have never done any welding in my life before I came to Thailand. always paided for trades people ect in the uk.

looked at welding in the farm. done some reading on the computer, even had a guy show me whats what. had a small go in the farm under supervision, and ended up knocked out on the floor in a pissy puddle. massive electric shock some how, anyway that's me done in that department, im happy to pay for the work to be done. I do like the eye where here for welding though, 99 baht sunglasses! bought some full face guards awhile back but the welders don't like em......

the shock my mate would be from wet gloves or hands, you would act as the earth,,lol,

its happens everytime you change the rods with wet gloves,

i know what you mean about the glasses, ive got a proper screan, but if i have to do any i weld first thing in the morning to hot during the day for me,

i use the heavier steel box section for the gates when i make them, it is easier to weld and last so so much longer,

anyway lets hope things will carry on the way they are and we can make a few bob,

had a freak parity 2 give birth yesterday, only 10 born (all alive) but the average weight was 2.4kg. that is off the scale in comparison to what we have been having over the last few months, even on smaller litter sizes of around 10 we max average 1.8kg. lets hope she "grows" them out in the same way!

got 7 new gilts coming in today, still got 4 from last month that are just eating, not good because they have been in the farm for 24-25 days now, give them a little time longer then they will have to go........ another case of gilts not being shown the boy!

had afew quite days in the farm and now the births start again .......

• Like 1

there must be a shortage of finnished pigs round here one of our buyers just rang to ask if we had any ready, told him not for another 3 weeks, the last lot have only just gone,

was busy yesterday moving pigs to growout quarters, and this morning been mending drinkers in other pens to be ready to move the others over, then its away to collect more piglets,

it seams round here many gave up on pigs with the drop in price, but typical thai way once it goes up they will go and buy piglets

it will take them months to get them to wieght and they will miss the best price, then they will be saying there isnt any money in pigs,

one of my wifes friends once said to us can she buy some piglets from us, only wanted 6, i said not a problem, let her come and pick her own, she took the 6 bigest in the pen, not a problem,

1 month later she came round to say your piglets are twice as big as mine,

i said what are you feeding,, RAM was the answer, i tried my best to tell her that in the end it costs just as much to rear on ram,

i said it will take you twice as long to get them to wieght, yes you pay 7bht a kilo for your ram, but you are feeding for a lot longer, so that 7 bht turns into 12 to 14bht with the extra time,

but she just couldnt get her head round it,

she hasnt botherd with pigs again,

im no expert and we are still learning to this day, but every month , year, that passes we are getting better at getting them to wieght,

i just want some rain,

1, so it fills our bore holes as, we havnt ran out, but it isnt as strong as it used to be,

2, and i want to start planting my greens,

happy pigging guys,

jake

• Like 1

they,ll be back raver, i get more money then the rest of them round here, they see my feed in the barn and know they dont get ram,

im not trying to black cat you raver, but ive just asked the wife to make sure, we got 74 last year,

this is our little set up guys, not much to look at but it works,

ive got a couple of videos on youtube

and ive even got a website,,lol yes me, im still learning about building the website and still working to make it look better but im getting there and people are talking to us

https://youtu.be/43HnayJwTB4

https://youtu.be/fLYZWZv3x2w

sorry i had to edit i put the same video up twice

Edited by pigeonjake
  • Like 1

cp farms here sell 69. local sarakorn farm sells at 67. hence our 64. moo baan do 62 here now. but there arent any lol. i put my price 3 bath below sarakorn as a standard. the market guys get a first time try it out discount. (2pigs).

just looked at your youtube vid, really good. just a thought if you want to promote the farm get your wife to set up a facebook page, seems to work well for other business people who I have spoken too. (restaurants ect..) the wife and children are always surfing facebook.......

• Like 1

just reading this months pig progress online magazine. it says that a second 1mg injection of injectable iron dextran at around the 20 day age can help to increase growth in the next 15 days by 20g a day. I have heard that the contract finishing farms do a second injection in anemic looking piglets.

piglets with us get it first 2mg injection .... in the first 24 hours.

• Like 1

just reading this months pig progress online magazine. it says that a second 1mg injection of injectable iron dextran at around the 20 day age can help to increase growth in the next 15 days by 20g a day. I have heard that the contract finishing farms do a second injection in anemic looking piglets.

piglets with us get it first 2mg injection .... in the first 24 hours.

That is very interesting. We have been giving them 1mg on day 3. Will give these latest batches another 1mg on day 20. See if we can see a better growth rate.

cp farms here sell 69. local sarakorn farm sells at 67. hence our 64. moo baan do 62 here now. but there arent any lol. i put my price 3 bath below sarakorn as a standard. the market guys get a first time try it out discount. (2pigs).

Good price. We just got 60 from our buyer. Even though he admits that our pork has superior meat to fat ratio than most of his other suppliers he doesn't see the need to pay more. Unfortunately that is the problem when there is only one buyer in our area... No competition.