Pigs 101 (A Start)

IsaanAussie

Maybe of interest to some...

Thailand drafts new standards for meat transportation
[05 June 2014]
Thailand’s National Bureau of Agricultural Commodity and Food Standards, or ACFS, is drafting a good practice standard for animal carcass and meat transportation for relevant operators to avoid contamination (such as Salmonella and E. coli) during delivery. “At present, many small slaughterhouses still transport their meat and carcasses inappropriately and this is a risk to consumer health,” said ACFS’s Secretary General Sakchai Sriboonsue. Delivery of meat and carcasses in temperature controlled vehicle will be introduced as part of the new standards. ACFS is hearing comments and recommendation from all relevant parties and expect to announce the standards before the realisation of the Asean Economic Community in 2015.
  • Like 1

that will push pork prices up even more,

its getting expencive now, what will it be like if they have to buy new trucks,

jake

I think this is a necessary step but it is likely to put pressure on both retail prices and farm gate. The middle man will now have a higher operating cost so it has to be recovered from somewhere.

Well, we have had had a busy week. Started it off by turning 50 facepalm.gif which was a very big party. Then we had a parity 3 sow deliver only 5 but strong healthy piglets. That was disappointing. Last time she had 10 born 10 survive.

Last night another parity 3 sow delivered 14 live and one still born. Unfortunately I was in Bangkok and missed both but watched most of the proceedings last night on Skype.

Now faced with perhaps fostering some to the other sow but really not sure how that will go or how to go about doing it. Has anyone done this before? what are the risks?

Peter

no mate, thank you but im not botherd about more land,, more land more work,

if i could buy the land right at the side of my place i would, its got teak trees on it and i would run pigs outside under them,

thanks again for the thought

jake

Well, we have had had a busy week. Started it off by turning 50 facepalm.gif which was a very big party. Then we had a parity 3 sow deliver only 5 but strong healthy piglets. That was disappointing. Last time she had 10 born 10 survive.

Last night another parity 3 sow delivered 14 live and one still born. Unfortunately I was in Bangkok and missed both but watched most of the proceedings last night on Skype.

Now faced with perhaps fostering some to the other sow but really not sure how that will go or how to go about doing it. Has anyone done this before? what are the risks?

Peter

hi, we foster from on mum to another all the time. best time, as soon as you can, mum don't really check for the first 12 hours after a labour.

having said that you get good mums and bad mums so keep a check on things. we move piglets around all the time. ie some mums will get a complete change in litter for one reason or the other.

try to keep the piglet sized right. same sizes all together - helps with the drinking of milk.

• Like 1

Peter

hi, we foster from on mum to another all the time. best time, as soon as you can, mum don't really check for the first 12 hours after a labour.

having said that you get good mums and bad mums so keep a check on things. we move piglets around all the time. ie some mums will get a complete change in litter for one reason or the other.

try to keep the piglet sized right. same sizes all together - helps with the drinking of milk.

Thanks thoongfoned. Perhaps 4 of the bigger ones from this litter can go to the other sow who is a better mother anyway. This one is a new one we just bought and so far not impressed with her mothering. Watching her closely.

Might be of some use.I remember a Piggy Friend raving about Pig Food from Cargill I think containing Yukka Tree extract HeRecon the weigh pilled on compared to other brands

Ace, do you know of any suppliers. Particularly up I the Udon Thani or Nong Khai Districts. I have been to the Cargill website but cannot find anything to track down sellers.

I visited a CP farm recently and noticed bags of strange looking feed. It told me it was Yukka and made the bigs grow bigger. He made it onsite himself and I have to say it looked wet and smelled like it had been fermented. I thought it a bit strange for a CP farm to be making this sort of feed onsite but he assured me that it was good for the growers. I don't want to do this myself but would be interested in investigating the Cargill range.

can i just add a little dito lads?

youll all be saying shut up jake we know that, but well for the ones who it could just help here goes,

my wife mac went and did the pigs this morning i was still sleeping, anyway i woke waited for a while and though shes a long time, i went to the pens and there she was bless here in a pen with the sweeping brush and hose, now she was doing a ngreat job, better then i leave them,

i said can i just point something our to you maco,

i said if there was something wrong in one of the pens, you using the same brush in all the pens could spred the diseasen to all the pens on that brush,

wheni clean, i take out the solids and just hose down, i dont go in with the brush, and yes i have a dip for my shuvle,

you really have to keep an eye on things like this,

mac said see you very cleaver,,lol, i said im far from that mac, i just try and think ahead,

so now she said she,ll do it my way, its easier anyway, not hard to just stant there with a hose and the pigs like it too,

take care all

jake

• Like 2

shut up jake ,,

just had to say that couldnt resist

i have two sister pigs about 8 month 2 week old, i was going to keep them to try breeding ,, maybe yes maybe no,

neither pigs have come into season at this time

So how do you guys bring the pig into season for the first time if you dont have a bore on your property ?

We have been told to get some Bore shit from another farm and put it in the pen ,, that will work !!,,, will it,,, !

Hey also. a couple of weeks ago early morning we were at the sty and missus noticed one pig about 3 months old with a very inflamed rash on its body and ears ,, never seen the day before ,, so we called the vet and some other pig breeders and asked them to have a look and ask what medication we should get,

unbelievable 20 mins later the rash was gone !!! no intervention from us,,

same again the next morning rash ,, then gone shortly after ,

At the moment the pig isnt showing any signs of any rash,, for one week nothing

Anybody using JBF pig feed ?

Regards M

you could get some shit from producing sows, this would help to get the hormones going. the best bet would be exposer to boars daily though. you could buy some boar smell in a can, not sure how much would cost but cheaper then feeding a boy!

what weight are the sows, a good starting weight would be 130 - 140kg at second "bloodin"

look at the sow daily morning and evening, apply back pressure and grab the underneath to try and stimulate the gilts. some gilts will only have a short first and second cycle, some of even 12 hours but the norm would be 24 hours some a little longer.

spend time and try and learn the "times of month" because it can make a lot of difference in litter size if you get the timing right.

thoongnfoned

thanks for the reply, the gilts are about ?? 120kg now iv keept these two together,, the only reason i kept these is to me they look nice looking pigs and everybody who has seen them thinks the same this pair are duroc mother and father

But i also get piglets from a yasothorn breeder he was a school teacher but been into pigs a long time

they have nice piglets also, white with some hair on their body , very stocky piglets,

i raised 6 from there before and they were the fastest and least trouble of my total so fare of 200,

Also there is a ladyboy in chatolapratiman who has a rice collection / storage shed, he also breeds very good pigs but you have to be lucky to get from him because there is a waiting list for his piglets we visited yesterday and he had about 70 sold in his pens , some 3 days old were booked

regards M

hi everyone , just joint your site today after reading your talk and info on pig farming ,very helpful,, i are very keen on the pig farming here in east udon thani and have been running a small farm here with my wife for the last 3 years ,i hope to network here more and enjoy the chat ,, regards snow

• Like 1

Hi All, thought is was about time I introduced myself. I have been following this thread for the last few months and took the time to read all 1600 posts. I have just completed the build of my first shed (actually a big extension on my better half's small existing operation) and ready to start buying some Gilts and or Parity 1 or 2 Sows. We are running a farrow to finish operation. This forum has been invaluable to my education and I want to start by thanking IA for starting it and all the regular contributors to this. I am a farming newbie so am hungry for knowledge and learning from the experience of others is critical to my success in this venture.

We now have 11 rooms and four completed farrowing crates with room and plans to build another four crates when needed. Ended up designing and building my own galv crates which saved a lot of money. I did not build in the suspended floor as that was going to add considerably to the cost. We have the original 3 sows that Neuy already owned and all 3 are in gestation at the moment. Also 10 x 30+kg growers and 10 x 85-90kg finishers. (Actually we only have 7 now as we sold 3 yesterday for 80baht per kg... two for a local funeral and one for a wedding. Nuey is a wonderful negotiator. clap2.gif ) I know they would have got me down to 77 and I would have been very happy with that.

Finding it a bit of a challenge to find quality sows and gilts at a good price at the moment but I am not in a rush.

I am up in the Udon Thani district so if there are any members up here then I would love to catch up for a beverage and chat. I also visit Bangkok on a regular basis so can meet there as well.

Anyway, thanks again to all the help you have unknowingly given me in planning and completing this project. It is very exciting seeing all the research and plans on paper come to fulfilment. Supervising my first construction project in Thailand was very educational to say the least. Learnt a lot (from many mistakes) that I can use if I decide to build again.

Now on to stage two and building up a strong herd.

Cheers

Peter

hi peter , snow writing , new on here today ,, i'm farming near udon , bandung , good to chat some time with like minded people ,i would be keen to catch up when your able ,,cheers snow

• Like 1

Hi Snow and welcome to the forum. Yes, I have found it to be very helpful. Would love to catch up. I am not far away in the Phen District. Close to Ban Tat. PM me when you would like to meet. I will be away for about a week from the 6th July but otherwise I am around. :)

Peter

shut up jake ,,

just had to say that couldnt resist

i have two sister pigs about 8 month 2 week old, i was going to keep them to try breeding ,, maybe yes maybe no,

neither pigs have come into season at this time

So how do you guys bring the pig into season for the first time if you dont have a bore on your property ?

We have been told to get some Bore shit from another farm and put it in the pen ,, that will work !!,,, will it,,, !

Hey also. a couple of weeks ago early morning we were at the sty and missus noticed one pig about 3 months old with a very inflamed rash on its body and ears ,, never seen the day before ,, so we called the vet and some other pig breeders and asked them to have a look and ask what medication we should get,

unbelievable 20 mins later the rash was gone !!! no intervention from us,,

same again the next morning rash ,, then gone shortly after ,

At the moment the pig isnt showing any signs of any rash,, for one week nothing

Anybody using JBF pig feed ?

Regards M

M, We started using the JBF 111 for the weaners a couple of litters ago. Paying 730 baht for a 30 kilo bag. It is pelletised and we are pretty happy with it. most adapt well without scours but we also supplement with a small amount of peeled banana for the first couple of weeks. I am told it helps their stomachs adapt and also good source of potassium.

The other products look good but we are buying grower feed elsewhere at a better price than JBF. I do not know the name of the company. We pick it up from a place near Nong Khai for 400 baht a bag. It is loose feed. All I know is that it is number 903. Everything else on the bag is written in Thai.

P

Hi Snow and welcome to the forum. Yes, I have found it to be very helpful. Would love to catch up. I am not far away in the Phen District. Close to Ban Tat. PM me when you would like to meet. I will be away for about a week from the 6th July but otherwise I am around. smile.png

Peter

hi peter, my contact email is < email address removed as per forum rules > , drop me your ph number and will give you a bell to organize a meet some time ,, cheers snow

Edited by metisdead
20) Not to post member's personal information including emails, personal messages, photos or web site details.

Hi Snow and welcome to the forum. Yes, I have found it to be very helpful. Would love to catch up. I am not far away in the Phen District. Close to Ban Tat. PM me when you would like to meet. I will be away for about a week from the 6th July but otherwise I am around. smile.png

Peter

hi peter, my contact email is < email address removed as per forum rules > , drop me your ph number and will give you a bell to organize a meet some time ,, cheers snow

hi again peter , have sent you PM with my contact details ,, snow

Edited by snowandpigs

Spotted this headline this morning, could pay you guys to check it out....

Thailand’s Department of Livestock Development (DLD) has introduced an innovative online service for issuance of permits to transport animals and carcasses.

The newly introduced e-Privilege Permit allows relevant private operators to apply and receive online the permit for transportation of their animals and carcasses.

• Like 1

i must be very very lucky as ive never had a permit yet, and i go and get 20.30 40 piglets every month and if it isnt me, its my wife and her papa,

is it just the people who buy the big fully grown out pigs that need them or everyone?

mind you we just cover our pickup back with black net the back of it that is and put the piglets under there, not to hide them but to keep the sun off them and keep the straw in,

jake

Nutters 64

thanks for the reply i was/am useing creep 599 topfeed @ 410 bht= 10kg

but i got some piglets from yasothorn and the breeder was useing jbf 111 same as you and it is a lot cheaper 730 bht for 30kg

she has changed from topfeed to jbf for everything its a lot cheaper all around

trouble is for me there is no supplier near us ,,

jbf had a flier out advertising there food range and it must have had at least 20 dfifferent types of food bags to chose from

two people have sold pigs recently getting 78 bht kg and 80 bht kg so they say !

M

• Like 1

hi, i would like to put all our paper work on p.c ,in english, anyone know of good simple small pigfarm software i could order online ,, cheers for any help can give ,, snow

Snow, have a look at SmartFarmr dot com. I have just started using the free version for small operations.

Hopefully I will catch up with you tomorrow.

Peter