Pigs 101 (A Start)

IsaanAussie

ive never been to a farmers meeting,, and i dont drink,

im going to put down my figours for when we used to sell to buyers,

and you have to run your farm month by month, not pig by pig,

my out goings per month where,

feed 60.000bht a month on average, some months a little more some months a little less depending on the numbers i wanted and in that i meen feed numbers not bags of feed as its allways 135 bags,

piglets into the farm,, 30

right, with me so far,?

so that is feed at 60.000bht

piglets at 42,000bht

= 102.000bht, out goings,

now money coming into the farm ,

30 100kilo pigs @ say 62 bht a kilo,= 186.000bht

now if you take my outgoing away from this 186.000bht

- 102.000bht

= 84.000bht PROFIT,

No i havnt included electric, god all we have at the pig pens is a pump for water and a couple of lights, no big deal, our farm is our farm, its our home all on the same piece of land,

last year for a while the price was 74bht a kilo for live weight pigs, but it does also go down,

you have to run your farm month by month, not pig by pig,

• Like 1

Respect to someonecwho has been in the business a long time. Respect to someone who has helped many others. Respect to someone who has experience in pigscand thailand and not only quotes internet found facts which cannot be applied to the thai situation. This is thailand. Not europe. 70% of the population earns less then 300thb a day. For them meat is anything not bone or fat. That is the main market for most of us. Not chefs and restaurants.

BUTal that has nothing to do with respect and behaving civilised towards other members.

I love that you want to do it organic, and it might work if you get rich bangkok, learned customers and fancy restaurants. But it does not mean that your way is good for all. About the 7000 bath. Ifvyou got the right contacts you can sell everything. Certain pieces of meat to bangkok restaurants, other pieces on market, skin, fat, hooves, head, bones, intestines. If you got buyers for that you can make 7k profit.

But to get these contacts and earn trust takes years.

So how much money do you get when you sell the meat from the pigs you kill? What prices do they pay you?

robert,

ask your wife/g/friend what she pays for number 1 feed./creep feedcall it what you want,

i pay 555bht, ill bet she isnt within 150bht a bag of what i pay,

as for medication and inoculations,

the piglets i get are inoculated when i get them, if as i have done this last month have to give antibiotic, its 600 bht a bottle that lasts for a very long time,

its all about feed, ask your wife for your baged feed costs and post them as i have posted mine,

i dont feed ram, you can get this at 8bht i give some to my ducks, if you feed your pigs this as a lot of thais do thinking they are saving money, its a loss, as it take just about twice as long to get them to weight so then the price works out about the same as giving them baged feed,

• Like 1

piglets at 42,000bht

- 102.000bht

= 84.000bht PROFIT,

And this under 3000 Bath the pig Profit. The Profit from Butchering a 100 kg pig is under 1000 Bath make together 4000 Bath Profit.

This is more realistic.

And again. If your writing this numbers befor there will a lot of timesaving. Sure, this Thread have nearly 100 pages if somebody must ask 5 Times to get a clear answer.

The ricebran must be part of a feedprogramm not a stand alone feed.

Obviously we have people posting here who either do not need help or are beyond help. The constant selective quotes and nit picking is getting boring.

In Australia we have a word for lumps of dried excretra on an animals backside We call them dags. We use the same expression for people with poor social skills. We try to avoid both.

Might I suggest our resident dag get an optarectomy performed on himself? That's where you have the nerves connecting your eyes to your backside severed. It will improve your sh1tty outlook on life.

"We must become the change we want to see."-Gandhi

All the time only the another person have poor social skills.

Edited by Allgeier

this is how it falls for our pigs,

70kilo of MEAT 9450BHT

ribs 500bht

head,feet,set, 300bht

back bone 200bht

hocks 420bht

insides,liver ect 300bht

= 11,170bht

- piglet 1,400bht

- feed 2.696bht this equates to 1 bag No1,, 2 bags of No2,,, and 3 bags of No3,,, some times we may have to keep them a bit longer so you could put on a

of No 5 to hold them on @ 364bht

= 4,096bht,

take this away from 11,170, = 7.074bht,

your area could be different to mine, some here like the skin on some like it off, if they like it off, it still sells, also my wife take about 1 kilo of meat a day to make a pork product this is wraped in banana leaf and this gets sold at 10bht each and she can make 20 of these per kilo of fat and meat,

the fat is boiled, and the meat is put in raw with garlic and onion and wraped up, i dont know what its called, ask your wife she will know,

but all areas in thailand like different things, im not in issan im in the sakaeo province,

but this is what we make, im not going to sit here and lie to you, i dont have to lie, im just trying to tell you how it is, yes our pigs are bigger then 100kilo, and to me this is the way to go, sell the pig yourself,

why should a buyer come along and give you 62, 63 bht or whatever he wants to pay you and then he goes and sells it at 145bht a kilo on the market, its took me a long time to stop letting this happen to us, i thought it would be to much work having the shop, but it isnt, its easy,

my wife opens at 6am till 10am and again at 3pm till 7pm ish,

and we got to these time as i said to my wife write the times down when people come and they were the best times, we do as you will of seen have the phone number on the signs and if some one wants some and we are at home she will pop and give them some as we are only 2 mins away from the shop,

my wife keeps a book everyday of what she has sold, she likes to write things down allways has done, if i work away everything she spends is writen down, i didnt ask for this, but this is how she has allways done it, so i leave her to it,

the middle man makes the money you do all the hard work for him to come and buy at 62ish bht,

its easy having a little shop, and people get to know you, when you are open and they will come to you to save 10bht to 20bht a kilo,

the permit for having the shop is 100bht a year,

you get the paper from the slaughter house for free to show you have them slaughterd correctly,

its easy

jake

• Like 2

You have a Telefonnummer from a Farmer who selling 16 kg Piglet for 1200 Bath ?

Yes. It is called "Contact"

Price quoted is without "MY" commission... LOL

If I like you then no commission, just buy a bottle of Lao Khao and we drink together as friends.

But if I don't like you, I'll charge you big big commission. tongue.png

I was a wholesaler and exporter...and I have lots of contacts. You want to sell your pigs to Laos, I also have contacts... 555+

piglets at 42,000bht

- 102.000bht

= 84.000bht PROFIT,

And this under 3000 Bath the pig Profit. The Profit from Butchering a 100 kg pig is under 1000 Bath make together 4000 Bath Profit.

This is more realistic.

And again. If your writing this numbers befor there will a lot of timesaving. Sure, this Thread have nearly 100 pages if somebody must ask 5 Times to get a clear answer.

The ricebran must be part of a feedprogramm not a stand alone feed.

Oh my Buddha ! You're really something~~~

The price is for a 100kg pig selling at farmgate price of ฿62/kg.

PJ sells their own meat of "everything on" at ฿135/kg, sales 70kg of "everything on" of the 100kg + bonus profit made from sales of internal organs/offal.

When we raise a batch of 30-50 pigs, more than 90% of the herd will always be between the weight range of 110kg-130kg. I use to do 1,2,3,1 (7 bags/pig) and my heaviest pig weighs 138kg and my average weight is 120kg, 5-8 pigs will weight between 95kg-105kg. Not all are equal size and weight hence not all are eating the same amount of rations. Me too calculate my capital by the whole herd from starter to finishing,not pig by pig... same as PJ.

Edited by RedBullHorn

also my wife take about 1 kilo of meat a day to make a pork product this is wraped in banana leaf and this gets sold at 10bht each and she can make 20 of these per kilo of fat and meat,

the fat is boiled, and the meat is put in raw with garlic and onion and wraped up, i dont know what its called, ask your wife she will know,

The northern have this too, it is a cold dish with the fat boiled to a glutinous liquid and when it becomes cool it turn into a jelly form. It form the base of the staple with meat and coconut milk mix laid on the top wrap with a banana leave bowl and then steam. ฿10 each.

post-42398-0-22792500-1448684752_thumb.j

. Thank you for the numbers.

But RBH. How many times i must read that pig with more than 100 kg are to fat? Farmer who farming for CP or in Contract raising the pig to how many kilo? 100 or 130 kg?

I am surprised the people where jake live there paying 135 Bath for meat with skin and fat. where i live nobady will pay this.

And the meat cold also. On your market the meat should be fresh, if not. Nobody will buy it..

How mutch the pork in the Macro. 125 Bath ?

Edited by Allgeier

One little thing.

Quality of meat and when it becomes fat depends how n breed and feed. Not only the composition of feed but also at what stage you switch to another mixture.

The feed and program I use atm delivers pigs who have lean meat until about 115-120 kg. Heavier it becomes fat.

Btw we always ask the buyers for a peace if meat, it serves as quality control.

busy on here now, good........... allgeier, contract finishers: the wife has been round this week looking at farms and buying some reject pigs........ from what she tells me: average weight to sell in farm over 700 ish pigs. 104kg. some smaller but some alot larger, i was,am surprised what some people acheive over 135 days in their care. (154 days from birth average) (starting weight average 5 ish kg- day 19 average) some of the pigs were topping 140 -150 ish kg. at this age. wife and her sister bought 6 pigs, biggest was at the 140 ish range and the smallest was 65kg, the little 65kg was a lame one that had been like this from the start.......... all cut up and sold off into 250,500, or 1000 baht lots. two pigs went towards paying loads of people to complete the rice harvest.... all bought at a very good rate, friends price - ie know the farmer , work for the company..........

today in the farm we sent for culling 4 mums 200 ish kg each, 48 baht a kg live weight- this is on buying lorry loads at a time, about forty cages on said lorry.

had a delivery of 15 the other day. all about 200 days old, started AI ing the first of them today, 3 in total coming in heat this morning, very good, the gilts over the last six months have been alot better.

the wife has got a bee in her bonnet about building a finishing farm at the mo, im trying to talk her out of it!

keep up the debates good readin..............

• Like 1

sorry forgot to ask: allgeier how are those piglets doing that you bought the other week?

If you mean the 3 LR+LW. There are small and after 2 bag of feed there should be close to 20 kg. But there are far away from the 20 kg. I am not sure if i can use them for breeding.

I made a mistake to buy them. If there not have 6 kg up after one month i will say there not grow so good. 7 kg will be good.

I like to buy piglet from this friend again but if there not have 6 or kg it is not easy for growing. The key for this are own piglet. I must wait 1 year to get more own piglet.

Anyone who is interested or know someone who wants to buy piglets. We produce about 200 piglets / month. All piglets follows a vaccine program and have received various types of vaccine, depending on at what weight they are sold at.

We are located in Phimai between Korat and Konken.

Edited by jompa67

the highs and the lows of farming piglets: last 16 mums that have given birth have born a minimum of 10 alive, then yesterday had two birth in the morning, 11 and 13 alive, straight births, no still born ect..... all very good so far. then late yesterday afternoon have a parity 9 start labor, she is not that happy. 4 hours later she has 10 piglets all alive, but on the small side, average 1.6kg. go in the farm this morning and parity 9 mum has sat on 3 during the night, and on inspecting the rest find one with only 1 ear, so left with 6! that ends that nice little run of over ten per mum! always happens....

one mum was due-has been moved back for AI this morning, took her back at day 14 because we will be short of mums to AI in a couple of days so taking afew back a day earlier then I would like, her piglets are very good, the smallest one is 6 plus kg, during the night she sat on one of the biggest in the litter, nearly 8 kg! got a gilt giving birth at the mo, slow going, very large piglets, 4 out so far and all above 2kg each, she is only a small mum too, would be very good if she can give us 10. the average weight of the born piglet is 1.7 -1,8 kg and has been for the best part of this year, less problems with the births at this kind of weight.

re. above post. just as I thought that gilt, 5 alive and 1 still born, just checked who AI her, oh look its the boss! im sure the wife will be happy to see the fruits of her labor once she returns....... its these sort of numbers that make it hard to get good production figures over the long term. or should I say it hard to do good work with the mums all the time...........

• Like 2

re. above post. just as I thought that gilt, 5 alive and 1 still born, just checked who AI her, oh look its the boss! im sure the wife will be happy to see the fruits of her labor once she returns....... its these sort of numbers that make it hard to get good production figures over the long term. or should I say it hard to do good work with the mums all the time...........

this diamond of a gilt gave one more out alive yesterday then started to bite, took small chunks out of all her litter, then refused to give milk! have since moved all 6 away from her and she has "2 legs in the cull area" at the mo, will see how she is in 20 days time.

back on track with 2 births already complete today....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

bit quiet on here lately so ill put a couple of pictures up,

ive just been to collect 30 piglets, yes ive gone back to my old supplier after talking to the old chinees man in the local shop that sells all animal stuff for cows , pigs, chickens ect, he was asking how the pig job was going, i told him good we have changed supplier as we were loosing a couple of piglets to waisting, anyway he told me what to put in there water, so ive gone like i say and bought 30, she gave me 1 free, at 800bht each, ill give them another try with this stuff in the water,

here are the pictures of them, they look good i must say, and the close up one is to show they have mustle defination even at this age on there backsides,

ill keep you informed how they go, but at 600bht cheeper then my other supplier ive got to have a go,

the brown one is for you kickstart another hereford lookalike,,lol

jake

merry christmas to all the piggers

post-32351-0-32352700-1450330798_thumb.j

post-32351-0-28936200-1450330844_thumb.j

post-32351-0-76742300-1450330879_thumb.j

post-32351-0-29208300-1450330913_thumb.j

post-32351-0-27328300-1450330954_thumb.j

• Like 1

Sankat area to Buached to pusin is quarantined off due to PRRS. The local vet did a good job spreading it from each farm, no protective measures, giving out wrong advice on vaccines etc.

Sent from my RAINBOW using Tapatalk

thats terrable,

now we dont have the buyers coming i dont let anyone come down to the pigs, if someone comes for a bag of feed i leave then at the gate and go and get a bag and take it to the gate, my wife has explained to them and they say they understand, its to easy to transmit, sod that,

thanks for the info

New gilts that flirts with one of the farm's boar

All who visited us wonder how we can have many sows in the same room. Apparently, according to reliable sources, this is impossible in Thailand giggle.gif

This is what i like to see.

Last week. We visited a farm with 12 sow. And all stay inside the cage. This hurt my eye. This is not how i like to keep the sow. I thinking to keep 6 sow on 24 qm. In this space there are 6 cage inside to feed them seperat.

Maybe jompa67 can write more about his experiance to keep the sow in a group?

Only the young sow or also the gestate one's?

We have about 50 of our sows in group rooms. The only problem so far is when sows get old and large. Concrete floor tends to be more slippy with bigger sows. Our goal is to remove almost all of our individual pens. Just keep a few where we keep aggressive sows that can not be in group. When they walk in group they use to come in heat faster and when one starts other will follows. The sow that did not get into heat will be moved to next group, when we form one. There is also some rules to follow when create sow group. Keep parity one together. Try to have same size of sows in same room. If one get to small or fat, move her to individual pen

1/2 year ago i had 2 sow together. And the only fighting start when was time to feed. My thinking is:

I have now 3 room with each 12 qm. in each i will cut a walk through with 1 m and the sow can walk between each room. In one room i will put some individual cage inside and this is also the room for feeding. Maybe when its time to feed i will lock them in the pen. Because this what i read on the web that the most problems is when its feeding time. One sow eat fast and the another one slow and the problems start.

The drinkling water will be also in the pen room and i hope there make all the poo after in this room. One room i will put straw inside to keep them a little busy.

How you manage this after fertilize. You keep them in a individual pen or you let her run in the group?

I ask because this is what i read. 21 days after fertilize the sow should not have to mutch action because the can loose the embryons.

This is my thinking why i have this individual pen inside the room.

1. Feeding

2. Embryons

But this is only theorie.