Crash Helmet

Phil Clark

I need to buy a 'decent' crash helmet, i.e. one that might actually offer some protection in an accident.

Anyone have any recommendations as to where to buy one and the likely cost?

Thanks

Phil, You can get the top of the range Shoei and Arai brands from various bike shops. Theyre in the 8000- 10000 baht price range. Bike shops also have various types down to about 200 baht.

Carefour and BigC have some that look reasonable for 200-300 baht.

The most important thing is that there is plenty of foam in the inside. This is what absorbs the impact and saves your head.

Full face type is going to give you the most protection but they maybe a little too hot here. Even an open face with a visor will give some protection to you face and help keep out the dust.

Edited by COBBER

I would go to either Big C or Lotus. They both have many types at various prices. I got a proper helmet with full visor for 700bt.

Bike shops also have various types down to about 200 baht.

Carefour and BigC have some that look reasonable for 200-300 baht.

If your head is worth less than 1000 baht then buy one of these helmets that Look like real helmets.

Otherwise go to a reputable bike shop and buy a Real helmet.

I agree with tiz i cant see anything that costs you less than a 1000 baht is going to offer much protection. I would stick with the well known brands that you know have had rigourous(spelling) safety tests done on them.

There is a SHOEI helmet shop on Ratchadaphisek Road in Bangkok, close to Posiedon Entertainment. Shoei are made of more exotic materials such as carbon fiber and kevlar, the same stuff that goes into bulletproof vests, and are rigorously tested and approved by independent laboratories. Arai helmets are of similar quality.

Of course they are the most expensive brands, but would be worth every single baht when the time comes that you need it. Do spend the $$ on a decent helmet- something made of plastic and foam won't offer any protection, and could actually be more harm than good in a collision.

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated.

I found the different views expressed interesting.

That said, it presents something of a dilemma!

Perhaps I should have explained in advance, but now am glad I did not despite having possibly opened Pandora’s box. :o

The reason I want to buy a new crash helmet is not actually for me, it is for my maid. She drives a Honda Dream and she used to have a crash helmet that appeared to be quite robust. It had a full visor although not the full chin wrap-around type. That was stolen recently and she replaced it with something of a standard that I would not turn over and let my dogs drink from in case they accidentally bit into it. We are talking tissue paper modelled in cheap plastic.

It is her birthday next week and so I thought I would buy her a decent one as a surprise. Just to make it clear, this is my maid and no more (?) although I also regard her as a good friend.

She is a diamond. :D

I was actually thinking in terms of up to 1,000 Baht or a bit more if I thought it looked worth it in terms of quality, but I cannot see myself going to the 5,000 Baht plus mark as that would be more than her monthly salary.

It would also most likely annoy her if she knew I had spent that much on a helmet if you know what I mean. I normally buy her a gift costing around 200-300 Baht and you can bet she knows how much everything costs.

Regardless, I want her to have a crash helmet that is worth wearing for a reason far more important than saving a fine for not wearing one.

Given the above, any more advice greatly appreciated!

The reason I want to buy a new crash helmet is not actually for me, it is for my maid. She drives a Honda Dream and she used to have a crash helmet that appeared to be quite robust. It had a full visor although not the full chin wrap-around type. That was stolen recently

It's good to know the whole story- I can see the dilemma that you have.

and she replaced it with something of a standard that I would not turn over and let my dogs drink from in case they accidentally bit into it. We are talking tissue paper modelled in cheap plastic.

I my earlier post I was originally thinking that the helmet was for you, and was going to make a wisecrack to the effect of a 300 baht helmet being the same as riding around with an ice cream bucket on your head!

It is her birthday next week and so I thought I would buy her a decent one as a surprise. Just to make it clear, this is my maid and no more (?) although I also regard her as a good friend.

She is a diamond. :D

Good friends (and good maids) are hard to find!

I was actually thinking in terms of up to 1,000 Baht or a bit more if I thought it looked worth it in terms of quality, but I cannot see myself going to the 5,000 Baht plus mark as that would be more than her monthly salary.

Given the situation- I'd go with your original plan and find a helmet of reasonable quality in the 1000B neighborhood that she wouldn't go and buy on her own.

It would also most likely annoy her if she knew I had spent that much on a helmet if you know what I mean. I normally buy her a gift costing around 200-300 Baht and you can bet she knows how much everything costs.

While it might seem to be an extravagant gift, explain it to her just like you did to us.

I want her to have a crash helmet that is worth wearing for a reason far more important than saving a fine for not wearing one.

Tell her how much you value her friendship and that you consider the decent helmet to be a good investment- since she is such a great maid and you want to keep her as a maid for many more years. If you make her feel important and cared for, she will probably be touched and not angry. :o

If she is still angry after that- take it back and let he dogs drink out of it! :D

Very commendable thing to do as the human head is like an egg when it comes to impact.

I myself suffered a serious head wound whilst in the militry and know the consequences.

what is a honda dream ?. I drive a Honda CBR 600 and favour a SHARK helmet .. about 250 bucks.

maybe you could pay for her to go on an advanced driving course. I have done one myself and can now drive faster and safer. :o

Very commendable thing to do as the human head is like an egg when it comes to impact.

I myself suffered a serious head wound whilst in the militry and know the consequences.

what is a honda dream ?. I drive a Honda CBR 600 and favour a SHARK helmet .. about 250 bucks.

maybe you could pay for her to go on an advanced driving course. I have done one myself and can now drive faster and safer. :o

Honda Dream:

Dream125-02.jpg

It is not exactly a speed machine but they can race along.

My maid is actually a very sedentary driver but as you know, coming off and landing on your head at any speed can be fatal.

All it takes is one pot-hole...

Thanks for all the replies.

Phil