I Want To Live In Thailand

clarebangkok

Now I know how expensive air conditioning is, Im a bit worried about the temperature and humidity indoors without it... its a bit worrying because when I was in Bangkok all the buildings were air conditioned.

I think you have to really experience the heat and humidity to get a grasp on how uncomfortable it can be... for me anyway. I've been in Chiang Mai for 3 months (leaving at Christmas back to UK) and although I feel I've gotten more used to the heat (don't need to use aircon now) I just don't like being hot all the time. I actually miss the cool/cold english weather (maybe the only person that does! still, see how I feel when I'm back in the middle of winter) and snuggling up with a blanket while it lashes down outside. I can't walk very far outside here without breaking into a full body sweat- can't imagine going to work everyday here either (unless in an aircon vehicle into an aircon office- never gonna happen). That's just me anyway.

Good luck with what you decide to do, but perhaps you'd be better coming out here with a friend if they're up for it. Definitely think you need to get a decent amount of savings behind you as well smile.gif

It's funny, Bina,

But when I was around Clare's age I wanted to go to live and work on a Kibbutz. I was a bit older - 20ish.

My father who had travelled all around the world was all for it. My mother was not, we argued as kids and mums do. In the end I applied. But there were no places for that year. But people i had met to discuss this with said it was the most fantastic time.

From what i have read from Clare's posts. She has not done her homework on the trials and tribulations of a teenager on her own in a third world country. She is asking about the clothes and shoe sizes for god's sake!!

And, Clare, it is worse than walking past a couple of lads outside the kebab shop on a dark night in blighty. You may have gone on holiday to Thailand and loved it. So did I, but if i went back there i would like to live in a nice big house with a fridge and pool and the so important AC. But to live there on your own with no salary or friends or family. It will be lonely.

Why not go to college in England, even do a nanny course. And then live your dream of Thailand. I am sure there are lots of families re-locating that would like to take their au pair or nanny with them.

You are still young.

Take care and google is your friend.

I'm starting to worry about this wee, naive thing rolling up in the Big Mango.

It scared the <deleted> out of me the first time and I was 40!! The hustle and bustle and traffic and smells and Nelly the elephants!! And I was only there for three days!! And staying in a good hotel.

LOL

makes me remember when i came to israel to stay with my potential husband the kibbutznik (now ex...) . i dont know what i was thinking, it just seemed a good idea at the time. but mind u, i wasnt running away from anything, and this girl, i still say, seems real spooked about men and england so i can only hope that she is in good shape to deal with culture shock once the exotic wares off...

why do i think that? cause she mentioned not being able to deal with all the people on a uni campus in england (guess she hasnt thought what bangkok is like as far as crowds, people of all sorts, and the rude males hanging out around the 7/11 staring at the white woman (anon sent me down to buy something while we were staying with freinds in workers' apartment /hotel area... all those viroon on motocy's ... and im was 40+ yr old dressed like a thai matron from issan (t shirt/three quarter lenght jeans) when i went down... not even a young fresh looking girl in western dress...my duaghter got looks looks hassled and in bangkok was also aproached often. we were in the non touristy areas, and often with anon who would do the thai male protective thingy of huffing up and grabbing us and walking fast (driving my daughter nuts as she's super independant and confident).

she mentions not going out after dark and about feeling safe in bangkok. ... boredom boredom boredom if u are loccked in your little four walls every nite. and it also means that she is afraid of something that could happen after dark...she mentions many times about feeling safe... well, that just makes my 'housemother' alarm bells ring that she just wants to be anywhere but home. and if thats the case, who will be around to bail her out when, as someone put it, the shit hits the fan.

clare u also mentioned about feeling pressured in to doing things u dont like....? perhaps in england someoen pressured u in to doing thing su dont like? at any rate, to be an 18 yr old in a foreign city that borders on the bustling combination of first and third world, ... come on vacation for a while, or move some wehre else in england, change your name, leave no traces, and start a new life... changing places doesnt change your luck. it might make it worse.

i think most people on both your threads (the one in general of course is degenerating down by the GOM) have given u enough firm advice and also some real warnings....

my offer still stands: come to kibbutz here, volunteer in the grape vinyard working along with thai workers, work for your stay and some pocket money, travel, meet nice people your age, get experience living on your own while still being in a slightly protected and safe environment, and we are just 13 hours by thai air away from bangkok.

bina

I'm sure she'll be fine. What could possibly go wrong?

THere's another wee boy on the general forum says he's 18 and coming to Thailand; I reckon she'll last longer than him...

They're both from Britain - I wonder if they've met?

SC

Now I know how expensive air conditioning is, Im a bit worried about the temperature and humidity indoors without it... its a bit worrying because when I was in Bangkok all the buildings were air conditioned.

I think you have to really experience the heat and humidity to get a grasp on how uncomfortable it can be... for me anyway. I've been in Chiang Mai for 3 months (leaving at Christmas back to UK) and although I feel I've gotten more used to the heat (don't need to use aircon now) I just don't like being hot all the time. I actually miss the cool/cold english weather (maybe the only person that does! still, see how I feel when I'm back in the middle of winter) and snuggling up with a blanket while it lashes down outside. I can't walk very far outside here without breaking into a full body sweat- can't imagine going to work everyday here either (unless in an aircon vehicle into an aircon office- never gonna happen). That's just me anyway.

Good luck with what you decide to do, but perhaps you'd be better coming out here with a friend if they're up for it. Definitely think you need to get a decent amount of savings behind you as well smile.gif

Sometimes I miss the cold and the snow and the drizzle and getting to wear my big coat.

But rain! Hah - when its coming down stair rods here and the roads are flooding up your shins - British people don't know what rain is!

SC

Sometimes I miss the cold and the snow and the drizzle and getting to wear my big coat.

But rain! Hah - when its coming down stair rods here and the roads are flooding up your shins - British people don't know what rain is!

SC

You only miss the cold as a concept, when you wake up and your nose is cold, (every morning for what seems like forever!) that particular novelty wears off rapidly :lol:

I do like wearing my big coat though.

And yes, it rains pathetically here, but it does it so well! Pathetic drizzle, a speciality!

I'm starting to worry about this wee, naive thing rolling up in the Big Mango.

It scared the <deleted> out of me the first time and I was 40!! The hustle and bustle and traffic and smells and Nelly the elephants!! And I was only there for three days!! And staying in a good hotel.

LOL

makes me remember when i came to israel to stay with my potential husband the kibbutznik (now ex...) . i dont know what i was thinking, it just seemed a good idea at the time. but mind u, i wasnt running away from anything, and this girl, i still say, seems real spooked about men and england so i can only hope that she is in good shape to deal with culture shock once the exotic wares off...

why do i think that? cause she mentioned not being able to deal with all the people on a uni campus in england (guess she hasnt thought what bangkok is like as far as crowds, people of all sorts, and the rude males hanging out around the 7/11 staring at the white woman (anon sent me down to buy something while we were staying with freinds in workers' apartment /hotel area... all those viroon on motocy's ... and im was 40+ yr old dressed like a thai matron from issan (t shirt/three quarter lenght jeans) when i went down... not even a young fresh looking girl in western dress...my duaghter got looks looks hassled and in bangkok was also aproached often. we were in the non touristy areas, and often with anon who would do the thai male protective thingy of huffing up and grabbing us and walking fast (driving my daughter nuts as she's super independant and confident).

she mentions not going out after dark and about feeling safe in bangkok. ... boredom boredom boredom if u are loccked in your little four walls every nite. and it also means that she is afraid of something that could happen after dark...she mentions many times about feeling safe... well, that just makes my 'housemother' alarm bells ring that she just wants to be anywhere but home. and if thats the case, who will be around to bail her out when, as someone put it, the shit hits the fan.

clare u also mentioned about feeling pressured in to doing things u dont like....? perhaps in england someoen pressured u in to doing thing su dont like? at any rate, to be an 18 yr old in a foreign city that borders on the bustling combination of first and third world, ... come on vacation for a while, or move some wehre else in england, change your name, leave no traces, and start a new life... changing places doesnt change your luck. it might make it worse.

i think most people on both your threads (the one in general of course is degenerating down by the GOM) have given u enough firm advice and also some real warnings....

my offer still stands: come to kibbutz here, volunteer in the grape vinyard working along with thai workers, work for your stay and some pocket money, travel, meet nice people your age, get experience living on your own while still being in a slightly protected and safe environment, and we are just 13 hours by thai air away from bangkok.

bina

I'm sure she'll be fine. What could possibly go wrong?

THere's another wee boy on the general forum says he's 18 and coming to Thailand; I reckon she'll last longer than him...

They're both from Britain - I wonder if they've met?

SC

Is this the '18yo coming to Thailand' one on the General forum? Isnt he an American? He says hes never left the United States before.

And oh yeah I love the rain here and Ill definately miss the snow too... but I wont miss certain English people lol.

I know I couldnt do without air conditioning in Thailand, and Im more worried the humidity might make me ill than I am about the heat.

Bina : I know I dont like men much but I dont trust people in general, I keep to myself thats all... its hardly like I hate men lol. And I think being with most people is *more* boring than being on my own, unless I share interests with them or something. I dont mind staying in on my own when I have something to do thats why Im worried about finding the right books and DVDs.

8>< SNIP NESTED QUOTES DELETED ><8

You only miss the cold as a concept, when you wake up and your nose is cold, (every morning for what seems like forever!) that particular novelty wears off rapidly :lol:

I do like wearing my big coat though.

And yes, it rains pathetically here, but it does it so well! Pathetic drizzle, a speciality!

No, I genuinely miss crisp mornings, snow, gentle drizzle.

Winter storms I can live without - or rather, Thai rainstorms are an adequate substitute, though a typhoon is one better, in my book.

Mind, I suppose my blood's a bit thinner than last time I was back in blighty...

I suppose my suggestion for all these young people would be to make the most of your thick warm freely circulating blood in a cold climate whilst you can - you'll miss all that, what with global warming, in years to come...

SC

I like cool autumn weather, or breezy spring weather but out and out cold with snow has been off my list of livable weather for a very long time. Probably, in fact, since I was about 14 and had to walk to school in the snow. I hate snow. I hate having cold feet. I haven't had cold feet in years.

Anyway, that said, seems clare needs to assess and re-asses before coming out. Even in my impulsiveness when I came out to Thailand I always had a back up plan.

Young lady, stay at home!

This is a serious advice from somebody who has done international moves many times successfully and has observed others doing the same, some of them failing miserably, so I know what is and what isn't required.

You are simply not prepared for such a move.

First thing, you have no real reason to come to Thailand (pull factor), just the idea that you need to leave England (push factor).

Second, you know next to nothing about life in Thailand (or in a foreign country in general) and worry about it excessively.

Third, you are worrying about the wrong things! Minor details of life, like accomodation, where to buy what and how to open bank accounts, will sort themselves out once you are here. There are people in similar situations who have done this before, and it worked - that's all you need to know for now. What you need to worry about is e.g. how to survive a major depression (read about culture shock for first timers and you'll know that you will almost unavoidably go through one!) without the support network you have back home, what to do if your plans fail, money runs out and you are stranded (this happens to surprisingly many foreigners here), or how to cope with the fact that you dislike other foreigners here (which are a mixed bunch at best) and realize that you cannot relate to locals, even if they speak English (this happens to almost all foreigners here).

These things can throw off more mature people who come here with a network (e.g. through local girlfriend/wife) and an idea what they want in life. Read this forum and you'll find plenty of stories (of course in their eyes it's always somebody else's fault - or at least Thailand is bad - but in reality it's only themselves who is to blame!). Do you really want to go through something like that? Don't fool yourself into thinking it won't happen to you!

Edited by beppi
  • Like 1

Clare, there's no way to prepare you for the culture shock that you are sure to experience when you make this big move. To lessen the blow, I would definitely try out Chiang Mai first rather then Bangkok. Bangkok is overwhelming for well traveled people let alone someone who has never lived alone outside of your own country. Chiang Mai is a small big city ;) Heaps of tourists, heaps of expats, good vibe generally speaking, plenty of English teaching opportunities. For the record, I love both Bangkok and Chiang Mai, I just think Chiang Mai would be a softer transition to living in Thailand.

Many people seem to think you're a troll... I think they just don't realise that you're a young/naive 18 year old. As to the English teaching.. as Bina said, it's not for everyone. I taught for 3 months in a village school and it was hel_l and I will definitely never venture there again.

I would suggest not burning all your bridges in your home town because you never know how things will turn out here and what back up you may need. Not to delve into specifics, but do you have enough funds to sustain you in Thailand for a long haul? How long did you visit Bangkok for last time? Which area did you stay in... Bangkok is bigger then Khao San Road/Central World :D. Did you go anywhere else in Thailand?

Too true, living here just a tad different from holidaying? Nothing makes ANY sense at first, they appear to do everything bass-ackward, in triplicate, and then you need to go and photocopy the lot just for good measure?!?! :blink: I won't bore you with the many almost insane procedures & hoops they'll have you jumping through, you can have a surprise or two, on me! :lol:

Any half-way decent school will assist you through it, better ones pay the fees too. As already mentioned, don't think its as easy as getting your TEFL and then just walking into a job! That info is somewhat outdated. It doesn't half help if your face fits too, your age will help you there, they'll figure you'll be able to relate with the Sts more easily. In fact the opposite is true, those little monkeys will see you all fresh-faced and enthusiastic, figure it's open season! You'll have to be very stern to begin with (while still remembering 'sanuk' to keep the little blighters entertained, confused? You will be!), but can relax later.

The 'face fits' rule often applies to your qualifications, documentation too. However, once in never allow yourself to figure the process is complete and relax, far from it. Spot checks are held regularly, and should your credentials be found lacking, you're out on your ear.

Don't worry, most of it will sort itself out as you progress, I too came here on a wing and a prayer without the 1st idea what I was going to do with myself, teaching being the last resort. That was 10yrs ago! However, I must agree with those who've posted teaching won't be for you if you didn't enjoy school; SO true. I put up with it, a job pure and simple, a stop-gap until I found something better? 4yrs with gritted teeth! No, teaching's a vocation or career, you have to love it.

The hours are ok, though I would rather have had our three UK 'terms' annually, rather than the American-style two 'semesters'. Summer break's a cracker! The wages suck, they're abysmal, no better term for them. Usually around the 30-35k/month mark, which really puts you on almost subsistence living. You CAN afford to go out occasionally, but have to pick & choose not only your events but venues too. 90b vs 50b for a beer suddenly puts a huge hole in the evening's budget!

Chiang Mai was recommended? I prefer it to Bkk by far, but don't forget the amount of back-packers in the area prepared to work for peanuts just to extend their stay a little further? Salaries consequently drop for all. Some 8-9yrs ago a fully-qualified, Aussie certificated (proper...real!) teacher-trainer acquaintance of mine was working in probably Chiang Mai's premier language school, 'London House', 20hrs/week, 20k/month. At the same time, I was working in Udorn thani, state school, fan rooms, 45-55 Sts/class, 14-17hrs/week, 30k/month. I rest my case, though he DID have the luxury of a/c in his 10-12 Sts classroom! Needless to say, it wasn't long before I found him a job at our place :lol:

I couldn't disagree more with the frightened old men on here "It'll all come to no good, DON'T do IIIIIIIIIIITT!!", NO sense of adventure, the old farts! As long as you've a few quid behind you (couple of thou should do), then why in bloody hel_l not?? Work a bit, kick around a bit, and undoubtedly learn FAR more in a few short months than 'Chicken Little' there has in his entire stay! Especially if you manage to work at a govt/state school, you're right in the thick of it, 99% Thai T's, they LOVE to bring you up to speed on culture, etiquette etc. I'm still so grateful to my formative years here teaching, honestly believing it was the best introduction to the country I could ever have wished for.

It's challenging, invigorating but mostly downright exasperating attempting to figure your way around constant roadblocks here! Mostly you just want to bellow "But WHY can't I??", to which they'll softly and calmly respond "Cannot". You have to learn to accept that one, especially as an employee. The subject can be broached a few days later and discussed, but don't bother at the time, you'll get absolutely nowhere.

The ONLY important question remains; is it worth it? YES!! So what if you fall flat on your face, lose everything and have to borrow the airfare home from the Embassy? All you've really lost is a couple of years, your initial outlay...and...nothing else! Against the priceless experience(s) gained? A drop in the ocean. Caution; becoming used to this land & lifestyle could easily end you up in no-man's land culturally and physically? Many come here, can't stay, but end up detesting their home country to a far greater degree as a consequence.

Yes, horror stories DO happen here, MANY of them! A fair percentage of those flying home daily weren't sharp enough to keep either their wits, or their wad about them!! As suggested read the stories, but ensure you read between the lines too, most folk don't want to admit they were so unbelievably stupid in signing over all their worldly possessions to a comparative stranger? Well, anybody with half a brain wouldn't, would they?! You'll find a recurring theme in all these so-called horror stories, naivety on a horrific level! :lol:

Me? I came here with nothing. Done myself proud, I've still got most of it left, LMAO

• Like 1

Someone like me ends up at the less famous universities though... I had to walk through one when these lads were all coming out of the buildings and I didnt feel safe, like when you walk past high school and everyones coming out together and shouting... I didnt get any trouble but I felt I might be shouted at or something its how they were behaving.

And I hated school and it feels wierd if Id be called a teacher lol... but teaching adults in a language school isnt the same thing is it... and I just want to get out of England to Thailand in some way, and teaching English with a TEFL degree is how most people get into Thailand.

But learning Thai in Thailand is probably a better option if I *need* a university degree...

If I might point out ...... any school you will get a job offer in Thailand (with no qualifications or experience)

Will involve many Thai lads shouting and being badly behaved in every class you have.

You won't be teaching adults, people with qualifications will do that.

If you couldn't cope with uni students in the UK coming out and looking a bit rowdy, your life here would be hel_l!

PS

Bina has made you a really generous offer, take her up on it!

Edited by sarahsbloke

Clare, if you haven't done so yet, I would be googling or searching the teachers thread on here if that's what you think you will do to earn money. The number one rule of being an English Teacher here is that you have to be FUN FUN FUN and then more FUN! They (as in other teachers) will spring things on you all the time ie. get up in front of 300 kids and do something fun. Unless you have this spontaneous fun personality, I doubt you are going to enjoy teaching or have the ability to formulate fun lesson plans in Thailand.

Since you say

"I dont trust people in general, I keep to myself thats all.... And I think being with most people is *more* boring than being on my own, unless I share interests with them or something"
you don't sound like a people person! You're obviously trying to run away from your current life but changing physical locations will only distract you for a short time.. funnily enough you can't run away from yourself and your problems will be uber magnified being in a foreign country with no friends or family to support/talk to.

I think we have all realised that Clare is a young woman trying to run from some sort of trauma in her young life.

For me (I have no kids) if i was her mum i would talk and get her into some sort of higher education in the UK.

If Thailand is still her dream in 2 or three years then so be it.

Remember when you were 18? I do - through foggy glasses, life did not happen fast enough!

Clare, I wish you all the best. Why not try Australia? Make some dosh, meet some nice people and perhaps travel with them?

I still worry about her arriving in Bangkok all alone.

Edited by Patsycat

Hi Clare,

I moved here when I was still in high school. My father was transferred to Thailand (Bangkok) and I graduated from one of the international schools here (I'm from the USA).

Isn't it hard enough being young? I think we are around the same age, and I wouldn't have the courage I don't think to have moved here by myself. There is so much going on in your life and its hard enough as it is - I could not imagine doing it all alone. Don't get me wrong I like Thailand. I do. But if I didn't have my family and friends here (ok I met friends at school after I came, but if you are not in school it will be hard to find friends at this age) then I don't know where I would be. But you do seem like you can spend time alone. That's cool. Thailand at our age is kinda hard people for sure stay in their clicks. If you come alone, then it may be hard to find friends. I'm sure that people have done that, but I think it would be so hard at our age.

I haven't read this forum in a long time but I saw that there was somebody my age posting something so I replied I think somebody your age can maybe relate to you. Are you going to go to uni? I think that is probably the best idea (I will go to uni in the US next year, and my family is still posted here :(. If you go to uni in bangkok then you can meet people. It is also good to have a degree of course. Good luck either way I hope you are happy :)

Many Universities have study abroad programs, where you can study in a different country for a semester or two. That seems to be a much better option for you. You will find that life in a University is much different than life in High School (or whatever they call it in England). It is much easier to find a social group that you can fit in with, there is less teenage drama, and you have a lot more freedom to study what you please, when you please. I completely understand your desire to escape, many of us have had unpleasant childhoods, but I think you are overlooking the fact that you can still escape your immediate situation without needing to go someplace where you will be completely lost. And if you are a secondary school drop-out, then I really have question your competency in teaching English, in the first place. You clearly have no training on teaching, since that is only taught in Universities. Maybe you can just find some perverted old man to be his trophy wife, and he can take to whatever far-off destination he prefers, if you just want an adventure. If this was 20 years ago, it may have been a more valid plan, but a lot has changed in the world and in Thailand in the last few decades.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I was told by friends that there are some very beautiful views in Thailand, so I am keen to have a visits / tourist to Thailand. But I am not sure if I will be used to the Thailand food. I was also told that Thailand people are nice and kind. I am really looking forward to having a trip there when I am free :D