Internet Connectivity Via Smartphones

Drew Aitch

Hi Forum

Just wondering if there are any techie geeks out there with regards to mobile technology.

I have AIS 3G internet for notebook use, and my phone, like most Smartphones these days, has internet connectivity. Can I assume that once connected to the internet via the mobile, the standard call charges apply per minute?

For example, if I wanted to relax in the lounge and listen to an internet radio station via the phone's in-ear headset, yet my phone calls were charged at 2 Baht/Min, then it would cost me 120 Baht for an hours listening. Is this how it has to work?

Or, is it possible to set my mobile as a device on my AIS 3G package, and use that as my ISP when connecting to the internet via the mobile phone.

I can't quite fathom it out from the instructions books how it all works, so if someone could explain it to me as if I were a 5 year old, that would be appreciated ;)

Aitch

If you have a post paid plan you can sign up for a certain number of hours data access. Its cheap, I was paying 200 baht per month for 50 hours access. You can also get unlimited use plans.

Pre paid plans usually charge you per minute, its not the same rate as a phone call.

Your phone has a wireless modem built in, so can listen to internet radio directly through the phone if it has an app or whatever to do that, or you can share your phones internet connection with a computer and listen through that or browse the web.

Some Android based phones like the nexus one can also function as a portable wifi hot spot so you can share the phones internet connection with several computers at once.

If you have a post paid plan you can sign up for a certain number of hours data access. Its cheap, I was paying 200 baht per month for 50 hours access. You can also get unlimited use plans.

Pre paid plans usually charge you per minute, its not the same rate as a phone call.

Your phone has a wireless modem built in, so can listen to internet radio directly through the phone if it has an app or whatever to do that, or you can share your phones internet connection with a computer and listen through that or browse the web.

Some Android based phones like the nexus one can also function as a portable wifi hot spot so you can share the phones internet connection with several computers at once.

Hi Crushdepth, and thanks for taking the time to post that for me ;)

I'm currently with AIS 3G and when i log into the admin panel there's an option to setup what i'm assuming is another device on the same contract, but can't be totally sure. It's still a bit above my head at the moment, and although i've worked with computers and online for a good number of years now, mobile technoogy is not something i've really kept up to speed with. Mainly because i only use a phone for making and receiving calls, sending text messages, and listening to audio, but today I lost my phone and had to get a replacement quickly.

I spent more cash than i anticipated and somehow got talked into purchasing from the new family of Smartphones. I don't usually fall for cosmentic good looks or functions that i'm not likely to ever need, or want, so why i did today, is beyond me! Maybe the urgency of repalcing the device made me a bit irrational at the time! :)

Anyhow, it might prove a useful business tool should i bother to exploit all its bells and whistles. It's called a Nokia E-72, and seems to do most things (accoridng to the manual), apart from making the tea in the morning.

I guess I'll have to spend some more time reading up on it and trying to work out all its functionality, otherwise there's little point in buying into all the gadgetry that it offers.

You might see me back in here before long crying about this bell, or that whistle, or some other robotic function that's driving me nuts ;)

Still not totally sure about the connecting to and costing of the internet access though, but i will get there.

Cheers for now, and thanks once again :)

Aitch

Hi Crushdepth, and thanks for taking the time to post that for me ;)

I'm currently with AIS 3G and when i log into the admin panel there's an option to setup what i'm assuming is another device on the same contract, but can't be totally sure. It's still a bit above my head at the moment, and although i've worked with computers and online for a good number of years now, mobile technoogy is not something i've really kept up to speed with. Mainly because i only use a phone for making and receiving calls, sending text messages, and listening to audio, but today I lost my phone and had to get a replacement quickly.

I spent more cash than i anticipated and somehow got talked into purchasing from the new family of Smartphones. I don't usually fall for cosmentic good looks or functions that i'm not likely to ever need, or want, so why i did today, is beyond me! Maybe the urgency of repalcing the device made me a bit irrational at the time! :)

Anyhow, it might prove a useful business tool should i bother to exploit all its bells and whistles. It's called a Nokia E-72, and seems to do most things (accoridng to the manual), apart from making the tea in the morning.

I guess I'll have to spend some more time reading up on it and trying to work out all its functionality, otherwise there's little point in buying into all the gadgetry that it offers.

You might see me back in here before long crying about this bell, or that whistle, or some other robotic function that's driving me nuts ;)

Still not totally sure about the connecting to and costing of the internet access though, but i will get there.

Cheers for now, and thanks once again :)

Aitch

AIS has data plans, example 20 hours / month for 100 baht, 100 hours for 300 baht (I think) and so on. Go to the AIS shop and ask about it. Or just call customer service and have them enable a plan for you, they'll also tell you how to check your remaining balance. At 5bht/hour or less it's pretty reasonable.

AIS 3G is on a frequency that's not supported by most phones so chances are it won't work on your Nokia E-72.