Prime Minister Considers Hosting Formula One Race in Bangkok

snoop1130

17 minutes ago, JoePai said:

Half an hour ago he said a new F1 track near Rayong ?

Yeah at U-Tapao, wants PTT to pay for it on land donated by BTS Group !!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dddave said:

One reason that immediately comes to mind:  Lap #3, Sidecar motorbike selling Pla Muk Heng comes wrong way down the side of the road course. Three win's follow.;

FIA mandates street courses be closed to civilian traffic during a race.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

FIA mandates street courses be closed to civilian traffic during a race.

I think that all streets are closed on any race course of any type anywhere in the world except to participating vehicles!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

I think that all streets are closed on any race course of any type anywhere in the world except to participating vehicles!

Sorry there is no sarcasm emoji. Come on Scottie.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Thai government is currently assessing the practicability of hosting such a high-status sports event in Bangkok.

During the dry season I hope.

1 hour ago, CanadaSam said:

It would not matter if they put up 10 foot high fences all along the race roads, there would be at least one or two Thai's who would be sure they could cross the road and not get hit.

Not to mention Soi dogs checking out the track.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CanadaSam said:

It would not matter if they put up 10 foot high fences all along the race roads, there would be at least one or two Thai's who would be sure they could cross the road and not get hit.

One the ganja early I see.

• Confused 3

It's not a cheap thing to put on, lots of setup and lots of money involved

https://sites.lsa.umich.edu/mje/2024/04/29/is-hosting-an-f1-race-financially-feasible/

To answer that question, it is important to start at the beginning of the business operation track owners embark on in hosting. And from the beginning they are already losing money. If they do not already have one, they must design and build a track typically costing upwards of $270 million, with yearly maintenance fees averaging $18.5 million (Balla, 2023). Moreover, these costs do not even include the necessary track additions for races such as grandstands (~$14 million), safety barriers and fencing (~$8 million), race pits, offices, parking lots etc., (Sylt, 2017). But if miraculously, owners already have all this, they do not avoid paying up. After a track is in place and Liberty Media, the owner of Formula One, has completed its necessary track inspections, track hosts must pay a hosting/race promotion fee to Liberty Media. This fee must be paid for every single race hosted and is estimated to be between $15-50 million and upwards for prime time races like the Qatar Grand Prix towards the end of the season (Bodsworth, 2023).

3 minutes ago, kwonitoy said:

It's not a cheap thing to put on, lots of setup and lots of money involved

https://sites.lsa.umich.edu/mje/2024/04/29/is-hosting-an-f1-race-financially-feasible/

To answer that question, it is important to start at the beginning of the business operation track owners embark on in hosting. And from the beginning they are already losing money. If they do not already have one, they must design and build a track typically costing upwards of $270 million, with yearly maintenance fees averaging $18.5 million (Balla, 2023). Moreover, these costs do not even include the necessary track additions for races such as grandstands (~$14 million), safety barriers and fencing (~$8 million), race pits, offices, parking lots etc., (Sylt, 2017). But if miraculously, owners already have all this, they do not avoid paying up. After a track is in place and Liberty Media, the owner of Formula One, has completed its necessary track inspections, track hosts must pay a hosting/race promotion fee to Liberty Media. This fee must be paid for every single race hosted and is estimated to be between $15-50 million and upwards for prime time races like the Qatar Grand Prix towards the end of the season (Bodsworth, 2023).

Someone somewhere makes money out of hosting Motorsport events. You've got F1, 2 and 3. E-f1, superbikes and all the 2 wheel classes, massively popular, drag racing, karting, sedans, vintage, Le Mans - well, you know what I mean.

If they built a stadium alongside, then you've got a massive draw. Concerts, events, boxing, judo, tennis, badminton, basketball etc etc etc . I say go for it!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Get Taylor Swift to perform at same time too , I would rather see

about 100 tuk tuk's ,racing around the emptied streets of Bangkok

regards worgeordie

Now I am scared I was thinking the same thing  about TS

First, before anything can happen, they need to have streets that formula cars can race on. Next, they would have to hope that someone would drop out and a European country with high viewers would be interested.

This guy is using these excuses so that he can holiday and enjoy the great life on the Thai people baht

Going to be interesting to see what happens to him in a couple of days.

I'm still waiting for him to have one good or even realistic idea. He has recently pushed the commencement of the destruction of the Heroines' Monument in Phuket, which is the most important intersection on the island WITHOUT any apparent plan to have an alternate route. The result is an absolute tourism and commercial transportation NIGHTMARE!  I've never seen traffic backed up as much as it is over the last few days. It will only get worse. I guess they could do the work at night, but that makes too much sense... no, let's do it when everyone needs to travel. Big buses and trucks are using all of the lanes and changing lanes constantly. the cops could force them to stay in the left lane to make traffic flow smoother, but there's not a cop in sight and they probably wouldn't do anything useful if they were. They'd find some way of making it worse.

This is all to put in an underpass, instead of a more logical and quicker-to-construct, overpass.  It's "scheduled" to run through 2026. I'm not a betting man, but I've got huge money on it taking much, much longer. In the meantime, Phuket life has been altered severely. 

16 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

:sleepy:

He's 'avin a larf.

No way would Bangkok be able to host an F1 race.

I do not have enough time to even start to list the reasons why.

Just give us 3 then!

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin announced plans to construct a Formula One racing circuit near U-Tapao Airport

No point.

The racing calendar is already full.

There are other cities already in the queue for a slot.