Malt Vinegar

theoldgit

Going to have a go at pickling some onions, I know they can be bought locally but far too expensive, have sourced all the pickling ingredients but cannot find reasonably prices vinegar.

Have seen "Gourmet Vinegar" for about 95 Baht but that rather defeats the object, has anybody any idea where I can get reasonably priced malt vinegar?

Thanks in anticipation.

Don't bother with malt vinegar. Just use the plain white vinegar from any supermarket. It's strong enough at 5 or 6%. You really won't taste the difference. If you really want the brown colour, make a little caramel and add that to the mix.

Dont know where you are in Thailand but i buy my malt (heinz) vinegar from Rimping (Chiang Mai) 84baht a bottle (12 Fd Oz/355 Ml),i also pickle my own onions and red cabbage,it's a bit stronger than the norm pickling vinegar like (sarsons) but it does the job if you add 1/3rd water dry chilli and peper pods depends on how strong you like them,i like them so they bite back so just add for your required taste,of course you have to make the brine and soak them overnight etc,but i'm sure you know that already.

Good luck,hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Dont know where you are in Thailand but i buy my malt (heinz) vinegar from Rimping (Chiang Mai) 84baht a bottle (12 Fd Oz/355 Ml),i also pickle my own onions and red cabbage,it's a bit stronger than the norm pickling vinegar like (sarsons) but it does the job if you add 1/3rd water dry chilli and peper pods depends on how strong you like them,i like them so they bite back so just add for your required taste,of course you have to make the brine and soak them overnight etc,but i'm sure you know that already.

Good luck,hope this helps.

Hope you got some nice cheese to go with your picked onions ?